Fireplace Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireplace Question

We're redoing an old cabin that's on a property we hunt and have a question for the Green Screen brain trust.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabin Fireplace Insert.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	25048175

We pulled this insert because we wanted the ability to have a "real" fire. The fireplace has firebrick, but no damper. What are my options?

I'd like to keep the insert out. Chimney cap damper? Glass doors to seal it when there's no fire? Do they make a damper that can be retrofit? I've seen the balloon dampers and would prefer to stay away from that so the fireplace is easy to use.

Thank you in advance.

How much for the insert?

Comment

No damper means no smokeshelf. Total redo to get it where you can burn open fire

Comment

Our damper is shot but can get one put in that is up near chimney cap operated by chains that hang down in the fireplace.

Comment

Originally posted by erniej View Post
          No damper means no smokeshelf. Total redo to get it where you can burn open fire
          X2 play it safe

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Originally posted by tmacbow View Post
            How much for the insert?
            Let me figure out if we need it and I'll get back to you.

Comment

The chain operated damper that goes on the top of the chimney will be best as it will keep birds and critters out. I havn't seen one in a while, but I expect google would turn up some ideas.

As far as the smoke chamber construction, it could very well be fine to use, but I suspect it didnt work well hence the insert. Any pics from inside looking up? was there a damper in it at some point?

Comment

If you want heat, you can't beat the insert in the fireplace.

For an open fire to sit around and drink beer, maybe build a fancy grate for sitting outside, or weld 3 legs on an old washing machine tub for simple (redneck) fire pit.

You can get fancy

Or redneck

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  The chain operated damper that goes on the top of the chimney will be best as it will keep birds and critters out. I havn't seen one in a while, but I expect google would turn up some ideas.

As far as the smoke chamber construction, it could very well be fine to use, but I suspect it didnt work well hence the insert. Any pics from inside looking up? was there a damper in it at some point?
                  I should have grabbed a picture of it this weekend, but I had a chance to look at it for the first time since they insert was pulled. The report of "no damper" was technically correct because the damper is missing, but there is a fire shelf and the support for a damper. The two buddies that pulled it are great shots/laborers/friends, but their future as fireplace techs looks dim.

I'll grab a picture of it next work weekend, but a small fire drafted fine and a large fire filled the room with smoke. We're going to get the chimney cleaned as a precaution. Anything we need to ask the sweep to look for in particular?

Also, anybody ever used one of these fire place racks?

Seems like a decent idea to help the fire draft by keeping it high and at the back wall, but my fire expertise never progressed past setting Camp Constantine on fire as a young scout.

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                  If you want heat, you can't beat the insert in the fireplace.

For an open fire to sit around and drink beer, maybe build a fancy grate for sitting outside, or weld 3 legs on an old washing machine tub for simple (redneck) fire pit.

You can get fancy

Or redneck
                  Ingenuity at its finest. We're not looking for as much heat as we are the look and feel of an open fire. The cabin has HVAC that works currently.

Appreciate the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Ride_Klein View Post
                    I should have grabbed a picture of it this weekend, but I had a chance to look at it for the first time since they insert was pulled. The report of "no damper" was technically correct because the damper is missing, but there is a fire shelf and the support for a damper. The two buddies that pulled it are great shots/laborers/friends, but their future as fireplace techs looks dim.

I'll grab a picture of it next work weekend, but a small fire drafted fine and a large fire filled the room with smoke. We're going to get the chimney cleaned as a precaution. Anything we need to ask the sweep to look for in particular?

Also, anybody ever used one of these fire place racks?

Seems like a decent idea to help the fire draft by keeping it high and at the back wall, but my fire expertise never progressed past setting Camp Constantine on fire as a young scout.
                    Getting a damper out of a masonry fireplace is not exactly "candy from a baby" stuff. I commend those gent's grit.

My gut tells me the sweep will find a bird/squirrel/woogalar/teradactyl nest in the chimney, and once removed she will suck the front door shut. He will be of more use than I am regarding a damper as well, after he sees the setup in person. The guys who are still doing that really know their soot, and most will do repairs for you as well.

At the end of the day if she won't suck smoke and no one can figure out why....come on by and I'll give you a couple flue tile to stack on top the chimney and raise it till it draws.

That rack thing couldn't hurt, you always want to start your fire at the back of the fireplace anyway. Once you know the flue is clear you can also stuff some news paper up on that smoke shelf and light it. You don't really know how she's gonna draw until you get that ***** HOT!

Comment

Thanks Dale.

Comment

build a fire in it and see it works

Comment

Sweep came, recommended glass doors and found a mud dobber infestation that he described as "restrictive".

Comment

Working...
                          X