No announcement yet.

TRAPPING 2014/2015 season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuff I have a question and I think you might have answered in last years thread but I couldn't find it; nor an answer on the internet.

A friend of mine has 600 acres in Lockhart TX that we want to have trapped this year. Would prefer at the end/after deer season but aren't opposed to during it either.

How do we go about finding a trapper? Is a gov trapper better than a 'private'(?) trapper? Are there any trappers who will do it for free and take the skins as payment?

Thanks
    Patton

Comment

I would for ya if you were closer. I wouldn't mind trapping for just the skins. But some may not.

Comment

Originally posted by Whirlwind View Post
        scored on 7 #3 double long springs at a garage sale. $23 bucks for all. 4 victors, 1 Newhouse and 2 triumph.
        SWEET!! I wished I would find a old newhouse and triumph!!

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
          Tuff I have a question and I think you might have answered in last years thread but I couldn't find it; nor an answer on the internet.

A friend of mine has 600 acres in Lockhart TX that we want to have trapped this year. Would prefer at the end/after deer season but aren't opposed to during it either.

How do we go about finding a trapper? Is a gov trapper better than a 'private'(?) trapper? Are there any trappers who will do it for free and take the skins as payment?

Thanks
          Patton
          Pm inbound brother..

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
            SWEET!! I wished I would find a old newhouse and triumph!!
            The new house is the best trap ever made in my opinion. Still have some but they don't get used much

Comment

Originally posted by Fergeris View Post
              The new house is the best trap ever made in my opinion. Still have some but they don't get used much
              I had a mess of them growing up..wished I still did, absolute workhorse!!

I finally got a set of bodygrip setters for those crazy strong Bridger 330's.
              I was out setting a few this evening, man even with the setters they are a bear to compress..

Comment

Next Wed.....Is the start of commercial season for beaver only.

Anyone going to go out and test the water?

I plan on putting out about 6 sets on Wed. then pull them the very next morning, should have 3-4 beaver easy.

Thursday going to skin, flesh and put them on boards to see how the leather is looking as well as the guard hair and underfur is developing.

Depending on how they look will dictate on whether the following Monday we will go full tilt on them..

Comment

I plan on putting out about 6 sets on Wed. then pull them the very next morning, should have 3-4 beaver easy.

Thursday going to skin, flesh and put them on boards to see how the leather is looking as well as the guard hair and underfur is developing.

Depending on how they look will dictate on whether the following Monday we will go full tilt on them..

Wish you were closer hoss, like to see how all this works. Boss finally gave me permission to set my foot traps out this year.(scared im gonna catch his blood hound) so we'll see if I can catch some yotes and cats

Comment

I have several people that are coming around this season to help out for a week..

One TBHer from down south is coming up for a week of trapline insanity, going to arrive at sun up on a Monday and finish on a Thursday evening, will be hitting it like major league. Another feller from way up north is thinking about the same set up..

I don't turn away help, lol..

Once Nov 1st gets here it will be nonstop work till next march.

Here is how a typical day in season goes:

Wake up at 0400 and run the land lines with the kids before school, skin out the morning catch and then hit the beaver and coon lines on the river, usually make it back to the house around 4 or 5 in the after noon and then skin animals till around 9 in the evening. Eat supper, grab a drink or two then head back out to finish out fur and get it on the stretchers and finish when we finish.

Repeat the next morning..

There are a few variances on Mondays and Thursdays, water lines are set on Monday morning and pulled back in on Thursday mornings..Land lines run non stop on different properties.

Comment

Work will settle down in November. Busy with food plots and the start of deer season right now, as well as a big party at the ranch in the middle of October. Maybe I can make it up there after that

Comment

I don't have any water to have beaver around lol

Comment

Originally posted by Fergeris View Post
                          I don't have any water to have beaver around lol
                          I feel ya brother, water is getting hard to find around here every lake around is at 60% or less and all of them are down 20ft plus so it makes water trapping interesting..

The river is still moving enough to work on it..

I have a few beaver located close to the house so it wont be hard getting to them.

Comment

Got a few spots located thanks to antelope hunting. Saw 12 yotes in 3 days of hunting in one spot. Still out about 25 days tell I start setting traps.

Comment

Hey Tuff, think you may need/want some help late Jan early Feb? I should be home by then and I've wanted to learn about trapping and what with the leave I have coming a few days or a week of Trapping Insanity should be feasible.

Comment

Like the thread! I'm new to the site and glad to find some trapping info. I use loaded snares with slimlocks for yotes and coons. Anyone else use snares here?

Comment

Working...
                                X