Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-10-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
DesertDug
Ten Point

Hunt In: far out west texas & SHNF
Default Diesel starting in Cold Weather

1996 7.3 F250 starting in the morning needs 3 clicks of the glow pulp (new one installed last year).

So how many of you plug your block warmers in? How long does it need to be plugged in? At what temps do you start plugging it in?
DesertDug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
captainsling
Ten Point

Hunt In: Madison County

If you are in League City, you shouldn't need to plug it in. Minnesota may be a different story.
captainsling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
jimmy o
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere

I had one that when it got around 40 deg I had to plug it in at night. The one I have now no need to plug it in. My old truck had bad injectors and my current does not my mechanic told me if I would had replaced them it would start easy in cold weather. You need to leave it plugged in all night.
jimmy o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
Extremebowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens County

I plug mine in when it gets below freezing. Does it need it? Prolly not. But why cause any more stress than needed, it's easy to plug in. Plus it warms up faster IMO.
Extremebowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
Hart8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: concho co. tx

I had a '00 ford,and I would plug mine in when it was real cold,and unplug it when needed.Sometimes 48 hours,it would be plugged in.
Hart8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
DesertDug
Ten Point

I won't burn out the glow plug if I need to click it a few times every morning in the cold?
Old 12-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
kfd82
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Backyard

I used to plug mine in anytime it was cold enough to cover the plants and bring the outside animals in the house. Just used that as a rule and added it to my covering and corralling routine.

Might not always be needed, but it doesnt hurt it.
kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
Quackerbox
Ten Point

Hunt In: The woods

I plug my current truck and the 2 before.that in when it gets below 40. My truck has been drove once in the last two weeks. Engine sounds much better and starts much easier

Usually about an hour. If you don't plug in at least let it idle 20 mins or so before driving
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #9
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

On my old '89 F250, I found that if I shut the motor off with the defrost on, just enough heat from the block heater would keep my windsheid from icing up.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #10
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Jack/Coleman/Henderson

Plug mine in when temps are in mid 30s or lower. Doesn't need it but it makes for a quick warm-up in the mornings.
Antlers86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #11
BeetleGuy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman, TX / Alread, AR

I plug mine in when below freezing. I can tell a huge difference when starting when it is cold.
BeetleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #12
jmoore2006
Eight Point

Hunt In: tennessee, ohio, colorado, mississippi, west texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
On my old '89 F250, I found that if I shut the motor off with the defrost on, just enough heat from the block heater would keep my windsheid from icing up.

Smart man never thought about that. Wonder if a new vehicle will accomplish the same. Heat rising it should I would think
jmoore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #13
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

I plug mine in a day ahead of time if I'm planning to drive it. Usually 35 degrees or lower. It starts a lot easier.

How is it that you are "clicking" the glow plugs? Mine is a 2000 7.3L and I have never seen a switch for turning on glow plugs.
60 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #14
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
I plug mine in a day ahead of time if I'm planning to drive it. Usually 35 degrees or lower. It starts a lot easier.

How is it that you are "clicking" the glow plugs? Mine is a 2000 7.3L and I have never seen a switch for turning on glow plugs.
Turn the igniton on and off a couple of times.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #15
Philip-TX
Ten Point

Yes I plug in. Probably needs a couple hours to make a difference. Can be longer. Been plugged for most of the last 3 days.
It should be expected (unplugged) to be hard to start (down in the 20s for 3 days).
I usually plug in if it will be inn the 20s overnight or if it is sustained 32* during the day.
But you need to check your glow plugs.

I had 4 bad ones at 120kmi. It got to where it was turning over longer and longer in mild weather (spring). Easiest way is through the harness plug. Each Plug has 4 terminals, the outside terminals are for the glowplugs. Use a test light on the outside terminals to see if they are OK.

A bad glow plug need to be changed. It can get carbon buildup on the tip and cause real problems removing it, with the carbon breaking off and falling into the cylinder head.

CHECK 'em It is pretty easy.

Other methods require removal of valve covers.
Lots of examples on youtube.
with test light

Last edited by Philip-TX; 12-10-2013 at 08:50 AM..
Philip-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #16
Bmarsh9
Four Point

Hunt In: Wise county

If you continually cycle your key multiple times you will eventually burn up your glow plug relay, they Burn up frequently and that may be your problem that your having now. There's a mod to put a much stouter relay in its place which should solve your problem. As far as the block heater goes you can leave it plug in as long as you would like. It's nice because typically within about two minutes of run time you will have heat.
Bmarsh9 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #17
denowt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co/public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsling View Post
If you are in League City, you shouldn't need to plug it in. Minnesota may be a different story.
Might not be needed, but it's sure nice to have the heater blowing warm soon after startup.
denowt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #18
Ironman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:

Cycle the ignition switch.
Ironman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #19
Philip-TX
Ten Point

Oh and don't forget to unplug it.

Got close once.
Now I lay part of the ext. chord over the side mirror.
Philip-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #20
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

If you have to cycle them, they aren't all working or the relay is messed up.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 12-10-2013 at 09:02 AM..
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #21
kfd82
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Backyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
Thats another bonus! Plus the heater will blow warm within just a minute or so of starting the truck.
kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #22
PK743
Four Point

Hunt In: Old Ocean, Rock Springs

Plug her in before you go to bed if its under 50deg. Ive ran several of the older strokes in the past and learned from experiance my friend! I was dating this chic a long time ago that luckily had a down stairs appartment and you should have seen the look on her face when i pulled the screen off and ran an ext cord through her bedroom window! You have to what she said!!lmao
PK743 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #23
oneisnone
Six Point

Hunt In: Van Zandt Co.

Has anyone ever ran their block heater off of the trucks batteries, using a power inverter? Im wondering if I can do this when I stay out overnight, without dragging an extension cord with me or finding a plug.
oneisnone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #24
kry226
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneisnone View Post
Has anyone ever ran their block heater off of the trucks batteries, using a power inverter? Im wondering if I can do this when I stay out overnight, without dragging an extension cord with me or finding a plug.
I wouldn't do that. Most block heaters draw a lot of amps and your inverter needs to match the amperage draw. But I think that would toast your batteries in short order and even before your block ever gets warm.

All my experience is with a Cummins so no glow plugs but intake grid heaters, but I plug in whenever I want quick heat in the morning, and that's usually when it's in the 30s. For this engine, a good rule of thumb for block heater use is at least three hours. Regardless of engine, I don't think an hour is really going to do much and will only be a waste of electricity. A lot of guys buy timers to ensure their block heater kicks on during the night when needed. Saves a lot of electricity versus plugging in when you go to bed.
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #25
denowt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co/public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneisnone View Post
I've read somewhere that block heaters are somewhere in the 1000-1500watt range.
That would require a pretty big inverter and would drain the batteries down in a few hours.
You'd probably wake up to a warm engine block, but wouldn't be able to crank it.
denowt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #26
DesertDug
Ten Point

great info as always here on the green screen. thanks all.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #27
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

I always plug my 2001 in when it gets below freezing. She still starts like a top but when it gets cold, she needs a little boost. The difference in starting ease and warmup time is worth the extra effort

Last edited by Smart; 12-10-2013 at 12:58 PM..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #28
cvanbrunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Archer County

I plug my 06 dodge in at night when I get home and unplug it before I head out in the morning.. Anytime at 40 or below. Sure makes it nice when the truck is warm after 3-5 miles of driving instead of 20-30.
cvanbrunt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #29
Gummi Bear
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comanche & Eastland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremebowman View Post
I plug mine in when it gets below freezing. Does it need it? Prolly not. But why cause any more stress than needed, it's easy to plug in. Plus it warms up faster IMO.
Same here.

I don't have a garage, so my truck sits outside, and it is nice to have some warm air blowing as quickly as possible.

I can't stand wearing a jacket while driving (I have an hour long commute) so I sit there and shiver until the truck warms up.

I just got through replacing everything in my fuel system in the last month. Injectors were worn out at 220k, then my lift pump started to fail which killed the injector pump.

My truck has never started easier, but it sure was expensive to get this result.
Gummi Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #30
Scooby
Eight Point

Hunt In: Navarro county, rusk county

In the past with my cummins motors i always plugged them in when cold. My 03 duramax doesn't have a plug at least not one i could find It has started good through this cold spell. But im almost to work before the heater gets warm
Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #31
mole
Four Point

OK, I'm in Iowa and I park my 01 7.3 in the insulated shop so starting in the morning isn't the problem. Its when it sits outside all day at work and the temperature is only 5 degrees, like today. What do you do then? So of the post earlier say not to cycle the glow plugs, but that is what I was always told to do in really cold weather. Now I'm really confused.

mole
mole is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #32
cvanbrunt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
OK, I'm in Iowa and I park my 01 7.3 in the insulated shop so starting in the morning isn't the problem. Its when it sits outside all day at work and the temperature is only 5 degrees, like today. What do you do then? So of the post earlier say not to cycle the glow plugs, but that is what I was always told to do in really cold weather. Now I'm really confused.

mole
I have a cord ran outside of our shop and have my truck plugged in during the day.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #33
pigstika1978
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rosanky n Brady tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDug View Post
1996 7.3 F250 starting in the morning needs 3 clicks of the glow pulp (new one installed last year).

So how many of you plug your block warmers in? How long does it need to be plugged in? At what temps do you start plugging it in?
I leave mine plugged in when it's really cold never had any problems starting
pigstika1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #34
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar, Pushmataha, Dickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
In the past with my cummins motors i always plugged them in when cold. My 03 duramax doesn't have a plug at least not one i could find It has started good through this cold spell. But im almost to work before the heater gets warm
My 02 Duramax has one, so I'm sure yours does as well.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #35
cvanbrunt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
My 02 Duramax has one, so I'm sure yours does as well.
Look at this thread for a few ideas on where its located. Most likely the element is threaded into the location for the freeze plug.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...-s-it-at/page4
Old 12-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #36
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Diesel starting in Cold Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post

mole
You can cycle them... I think what folks are suggesting is they only have so many cycles over a lifetime so the more you use them the quicker they will go bad. I cycle mine twice out of habit if I forget to plug it in and its below freezing. I am still on my original set. 2001 250K miles.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #37
BIGTERRY75
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardeman

Quote:

Plug it in when it is cold enough to give you problems. Cycling glow plugs and all that cranking is more expensive than the electricity that the plug draws. Get a timer and have it come on for an hour or so before you leave for work.
BIGTERRY75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #38
BIGTERRY75
Ten Point

Quote:

The Wait to Start Light is the glow plug timer. Cycle the key off and on and the WTS light will come on again and will energize the relay for the glow plugs
Old 12-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #39
BIGTERRY75
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmarsh9 View Post
If you continually cycle your key multiple times you will eventually burn up your glow plug relay, they Burn up frequently and that may be your problem that your having now. There's a mod to put a much stouter relay in its place which should solve your problem. As far as the block heater goes you can leave it plug in as long as you would like. It's nice because typically within about two minutes of run time you will have heat.
Block heater elements burn up too.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #40
Scooby
Eight Point

Hunt In: Navarro county, rusk county

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanbrunt View Post
Look at this thread for a few ideas on where its located. Most likely the element is threaded into the location for the freeze plug.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...-s-it-at/page4
Thanks. I just went out and crawled all around it didnt find it oh well it started fine at 21 degrees this morn. Im not gona drive it after today its for sale!
Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #41
mole
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanbrunt View Post
I have a cord ran outside of our shop and have my truck plugged in during the day.
I did this for awhile and got in trouble with the maintenance supervisor. We have to be "fair" to everyone and he didn't want cords all over the place. Funny thing was, I was the only person who drove a diesel.

Thanks Smart. That's usually what I do. I try not to drive it when its brutal cold, but usually when its that cold it is usually snowing and I need the truck to get to work since my road is one of the last to get plowed.

mole
mole is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #42
bulltx50
Six Point

Hunt In: seymour,tx

Owned 7.3s from 1994 to my 2003. Check your batteries cranking amps, be sure both batteries are new at the same time. Check glow plug harness be sure you are getting no less then 14 volts. I don't have to plug mine in until it gets below freezing. Good luck.
bulltx50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #43
Walterbones
Four Point

Hunt In: River Bottoms-liberty county

I plug my 97 stroker in when it gets below 40 degrees. Does it need it no, but you will have heat alot faster and you won't have to let it idle for 10 mins(on high idle 1100rpm) befor leaving.
Walterbones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #44
Pushbutton2
Eight Point

Hunt In: My Backyard :(

Quote:
x2
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #45
Pushbutton2
Eight Point

Read most of the posts.
Being from Iowa and Michigan.
Below freezing plug it in.
I was taught to plug it in when your done driving.
That way block heater only has to MAINTAIN temperature not BRING up too temperature.

I bought my first car in 1989 I parked on the side of our house. In the fall I'd run a heavy duty outdoor extension cord over there to plug it in. The extension would stay out til spring thaw. My car stayed plugged in so did my moms ford econoline van and dads chevy van c20....
Old 12-11-2013, 03:16 AM   #46
Andy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front Porch wilson county

At Tractor supply there is a two outlet plug called a THermo Cube . It turns on electricity at 35 degrees or colder then off at 45 degrees. I had my boss pick up 4 of them to use in well pump and other places to keep pipes from freezing....It says on package it can be used for block heater in vehs. I found some in midland and Odessa. I will get my son to pick some up for me......Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2013, 05:54 AM   #47
DesertDug
Ten Point

Had her plugged in all night so should be an easy start after I am done with my coffee.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #48
Pushbutton2
Eight Point

Good luck :-)
Old 12-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #49
Pushbutton2
Eight Point

Quote:
Had her plugged in all night so should be an easy start after I am done with my coffee.
Good luck :-)
Old 12-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #50
DesertDug
Ten Point

started right up.