My first food plot thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first food plot thread.

I pick up this 125 ac lease here in Hopkins Co last year on the first week of rifle season. This land sits in a huge creek bottom. Thick doesn't even start to describe this place. There are 3 small clearings and a gas line right-of-way. That is it as far as open ground. Last year I had a few good bucks early then they disappeared, so the plan for this year was to get in some food plots and try to hold these deer. After lots of reading here and on every thing I could fine on food plots I started working. Busting up the ground was a major issue. Ever time I got on my tractor I tore something up. After blowing out the pto on my tractor, I got ahold of a buddies tractor and rented a roto tiller. second pass I busted up the tiller. So I broke out the disk and just went to work. I bet I went over this ground 10 times. We planted oats, cereal rye, AWP, white and red clover, and turnips. A week after getting seed in the ground we got a good rain on it. Then the next weekend another. We put out fertilize yesterday and I shot some pics.

The gas line, Plotted 200 yards either side of box blind.

The dog bone

The gar hole

And pops

Looks great!

Comment

Very nice. Why the "unhappy" face on your thread title?

Comment

I guess my fat fingers got carried away. I didn't even see that.

Not unhappy at all.

Comment

I thought it was becuase of the busted up equipment. That'll get under your skin quick!

Comment

Yea, that busted up PTO would make me upset.

Comment

Well yeah I was a little sour after that. I had not used my tractor since last summer. Fire ants had built a nest in the alternator, had to replace battery. Fixed that and got to the lease. While shredding had 2 flats on front, blew a seal on steering rod. Then busted the PTO. That's when I got my buddies tractor. Heck I even had a flat on it. That's just the way things go for me. lol That's all behind me, now its all worth it when I see plots growing.

Comment

looks great man, mine isnt near that thick.

Comment

looks great!

Comment

Looks real good, just out of curiousity when did you plant it?

Comment

That's great! I love that feeling when the seed is covered and you get that first soaking rain. Hope mine come up looking as good as yours.

Comment

Thanks guys, pretty pumped about this. Hope it hold and attracts like we hope it does.

We planted on the 7th of Sept.

Comment

Originally posted by medic911 View Post
                          Thanks guys, pretty pumped about this. Hope it hold and attracts like we hope it does.

We planted on the 7th of Sept.
                          Once the fertilizer kicks in they'll really be on it, you'll really notice a difference in the turnips as they're pretty heavy nitrogen users. What fertilzer ratio did you use and how much per acre?

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                            Very nice. Why the "unhappy" face on your thread title?
                            I thought maybe cutworms killed out his plots but they look great. Maybe breaking tractors and equipment?

Comment

We used 13-13-13 that's was the only thing we could find sat morning when I went to buy. we figured 100lbs/ac, but pretty sure we got it in a little over that.

Comment

Working...
                              X