No announcement yet.

Community Live Hunt TBH Hagerman Segment A Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well its over and looks like I will be in the random draw with zero pref points for next year. It is such a privlage to be able to have the oppertunity to hunt there. We all got to remember this is a privlage and not a right. It is a hard hunt with no guarantees. I greatly appriciate all the effort hagerman and staff put in to make this hunt happen. All of you scouting for seg B and C be sure to stop by the headquarters and tell the staff how much you appriciate them putting on this hunt. I look forward to the day I can apply with my kids listed as a buddy and hope they can someday apply with their kids. Do the math this is not an easy hunt. 4 bucks and 8 does taken. 75 hunters hunting 3 days. that is 3 morning and 3 evening sits per hunter or 450 primetime sits. out of this 12 deer were taken. roughly 1 deer per 38 times hunting. 1 mature buck was taken so one mature buck per 450 times hunting. hasnent been a really big buck takn in 3 years. so odds of a really big buck is 1 in 4050 sits. odds are definitaly not in the hunters favor but dreams and prayers for a buck like the one i seen keep us applying and setting for 14 hours a day for 3 days. best of luck to all the seg B and C hunters.

Comment

Dan sorry to hear you did not get the buck u shot, but count yourself as the lucky one because most of us will never see a buck like that while hunting much less on public land with a bow.

Comment

Dan, sorry to hear bud, what unit where you in , I hunt the C segment and Ill keep an eye out. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dangerous dan View Post
          Well its over and looks like I will be in the random draw with zero pref points for next year. It is such a privlage to be able to have the oppertunity to hunt there. We all got to remember this is a privlage and not a right. It is a hard hunt with no guarantees. I greatly appriciate all the effort hagerman and staff put in to make this hunt happen. All of you scouting for seg B and C be sure to stop by the headquarters and tell the staff how much you appriciate them putting on this hunt. I look forward to the day I can apply with my kids listed as a buddy and hope they can someday apply with their kids. Do the math this is not an easy hunt. 4 bucks and 8 does taken. 75 hunters hunting 3 days. that is 3 morning and 3 evening sits per hunter or 450 primetime sits. out of this 12 deer were taken. roughly 1 deer per 38 times hunting. 1 mature buck was taken so one mature buck per 450 times hunting. hasnent been a really big buck takn in 3 years. so odds of a really big buck is 1 in 4050 sits. odds are definitaly not in the hunters favor but dreams and prayers for a buck like the one i seen keep us applying and setting for 14 hours a day for 3 days. best of luck to all the seg B and C hunters.
          Great post Dan and so very true. I told the refuge guys how much I appreciate to opportunity to hunt there. I told them that the extended stand set up time is great and the option to call in to check out is very user friendly. I mentioned that the two hog incentive for a free pass is cool too. I also told them that as an IBEP instructor I would help in anyway possible to combat the anti hunt petition that is being circulated.

I have been fortunate to draw several times. I have had the chance to see some really good bucks over the years. All of them are etched in my memory forever. Seeing them and getting a shot off at them are two totally different things. Big Hagerman bucks are usually seen in the first and last few minutes of legal shooting times. They are almost always on the move. They have have already sensed the intrusion of 75 hunters into their home environment. You get very few chances, you have to make quick decisions, and most of the time your shots are thru small openings or between trees. This is definitely not your typical deer lease hunt where you have time to evaluate a buck and wait for him to get in a perfect position at a feeder. To me this is what makes it so challenging and exciting. I sat in my treestand from 5:45 am to 6:00 pm yesterday without seeing a deer. Discourged ? No. I know what class of deer runs those creek bottoms and I would be back there today if it was possible.

Dan. I feel your pain brother. I know you take this very seriously. I am sorry you did not find your buck.
          Last edited by Arrowsmith; 11-05-2012, 02:04 PM.

Comment

I feel y'all on that. I usually am out of my stand by 8:30 in the morning at my lease and I had no problem sitting 13 hrs a day. Only saw 4 deer the whole time. But I can't wait to get the opportunity to hunt Hagerman again.. Congrats to the hunters that took animals and I feel for Dan with his situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
              I also told them that as an IBEP instructor I would help in any possible to combat the anti hunt petition that is being circulated.
              What's this all about? I haven't heard anything

Comment

Originally posted by rossivey View Post
                What's this all about? I haven't heard anything
                It was announced at the Segment A orientation. There is a petition being circulated to discontinue the hunt by local residents. US Fish and Wildlife's stance at this time is the hunt will go on. We as bowhunters need to do whatever is appropriate to help make sure we do not loose the right to hunt anywhere.

Comment

It was announced at the Segment A orientation. There is a petition being circulated to discontinue the hunt by local residents. US Fish and Wildlife's stance at this time is the hunt will go on. We as bowhunters need to do whatever is appropriate to help make sure we do not loose the right to hunt anywhere.
                  Wow! I haven't heard that yet. I agree with you. My wife and I hunted Hagerman 2yrs ago and it was awesome! Didn't get anything but the experience was amazing. I'll do my part to help out. It would be a shame to lose such an excellent place to hunt. I'm going to find out some more info on the anti-Hagerman petition. Thanks for the info!

Comment

I think a lot of the area residents would like to keep the deer to themselves and the people they lease to.

Comment

Originally posted by Txjourneyman View Post
                      I think a lot of the area residents would like to keep the deer to themselves and the people they lease to.
                      I agree. Pretty sad

Comment

Well said Dan. We will keep an eye for him! As for the hunt at Hagerman, it is truly a majestic place and would be considered an honor to ever be drawn in!

Comment

Please post the info concerning the anti-hunting proposition. Sounds like someone may be playing loud music/shooting guns next door?

Comment

Largest online community empowering people to lead a healthy and green lifestyle while taking action on important causes such as human rights, animal welfare and global warming.

Comment

As an IBEP instructor as well count me in Mike in anyway I can help to combat this anti-hunting initiative.
                              I have been drawn several times and have seen a couple of monster up there.
                              Last year a private land hunter got ****** when I walked by him while scouting H. Might not have been so bad except he was 15' off the fence with a feeder maybe 25 yds in. I hunted the trails leading to his feeder as that was were he was drawing the deer from. It rained all 3 days and I saw 1 deer...

Comment

sure wish they would let me comment w/o signing their petition...

Comment

Working...
                                X