Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 06-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lately, just in my dreams...
Default How short is too short?

I will likely be buying a new recurve sometime in the next couple of months. Since I plan to hunt with it out of ground blinds and tree stands I'm thinking I want something shorter and a little more manueverable than my longbow. With a draw length of 27.5", how short can I go before it gets "pinchy"? Are shorter bows harder to shoot accurately due to less stability?
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
agtex42
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Lejeune, Washington County

Do you shoot 3 under or split? I've found that finger pinch is less of a factor on short bows for me because I shoot 3 under (the string angle really comes into play when shooting split though).

My shortest recurve is 60" and it draws smoothly with no stack or pinch out to my 29.5" draw (much of this is due to limb design and material selection). Out of all the bows I own I shoot this one the best (even at 40+ yards), so in the end it comes down to what works for you.
agtex42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lately, just in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by agtex42 View Post
Do you shoot 3 under or split? I've found that finger pinch is less of a factor on short bows for me because I shoot 3 under (the string angle really comes into play when shooting split though)..
I shoot 3 under as well. I'd like to get a 58" if I can shoot it comfortably.
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
Ol Man
Ten Point

I can shoot a 58" bow and I shoot split finger. I draw 29 1/2" and settle in at 29". The length I shoot best is 62"..yes I use even a 66" out of a blind or tree stand.
A shorter bows limbs react faster as they tend to be shorter. Any problem you induce will be magnified.
Ol Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
Bisch
Pope & Young

Nothing less than 62" for me. I tried a shorter one once and they are not for me. I hunt out of homemade ground blinds all the time and a 70" bow would not be a problem out of ours. You really need to shoot a few short bows and see how you like them.

Bisch
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
Trick
Ten Point

I just picked up a 52" Bear Kodiak Magnum this past weekend and while it doesn't fling an arrow near as fast as my Sarrels Wildcat, there's no finger pinch and it's a good shooter. I see no stability or accuracy issues due to its' short length. I'm pulling alittle over 27 1/2".

Matt
Trick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
trad"Doc"53
Pope & Young

Hunt In: None at Present

I like shorter bows also. I have a "short" longbow that is 50"s tip to tip when strung and it shoots great. I have a 27" draw and shoot 3 fingers under, and when I do my part there are no problems hitting what I want to. With this said, there are times I wish it was more like 54-56"s long.
trad"Doc"53 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
Kingslayer
Ten Point

If your gonna be hunting out of a pop-up. I would go with a bow. Like bobs Wildcatt model.
Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #9
Ron Meloni
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hunting is too expensive!

I have a 58" Puma from Mr. Sarrels. No pinch (28" draw) and a smooth shooter.
Ron Meloni is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #10
Kingslayer
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick View Post
I just picked up a 52" Bear Kodiak Magnum this past weekend and while it doesn't fling an arrow near as fast as my Sarrels Wildcat, there's no finger pinch and it's a good shooter. I see no stability or accuracy issues due to its' short length. I'm pulling alittle over 27 1/2".

Matt
The bear kodiak magnum. Is a good shooting bow. I liked shooting it.
Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
Ron
Pope & Young

Hunt In: USA, Concho County and S.E.Colorado

I have a Tolke TD recurve that is 56" and it shoots just fine.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
Ron Meloni
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hunting is too expensive!

I also have a really nice old Bear Super Magnum at 48" that a great buddy of mine gave me. It too doesn't have much pinch, but is a bit twitchy.
Ron Meloni is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #13
equin
Ten Point

What about something like this, a cool-looking "horse bow" sold at http://www.timelesstailors.com/p-463...w-sg-044.aspx?

I've never shot one of these, but I'd like to try one. The one above is supposedly 58" when strung, but it doesn't appear to have a shelf. So you'd have to shoot off the knuckle.
equin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #14
Selfbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ya'll take Me

I have a 54" wildcat that is 54@28 that I can sell you, I have gone to lighter weights. Good bow blind bow.
Selfbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #15
Trick
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selfbowman View Post
I have a 54" wildcat that is 54@28 that I can sell you, I have gone to lighter weights. Good bow blind bow.
Oh boy, if my shoulder could handle that weight I'd be all over that.

Matt
Trick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #16
fletcherfor2
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by equin View Post
What about something like this, a cool-looking "horse bow" sold at http://www.timelesstailors.com/p-463...w-sg-044.aspx?

I've never shot one of these, but I'd like to try one. The one above is supposedly 58" when strung, but it doesn't appear to have a shelf. So you'd have to shoot off the knuckle.
We watched a Korean movie (sub-titles) on Netflix the other night called "War of Arrows" or something like that. It was a Koreans Vs Mongols shoot-em-up.

They were all shooting these real short static-tip horse bows off their fingers, but they were all shooting right handed with the arrow on the right side of the riser (off their finger tips rather than off their back knuckles). It was pretty strange looking. I guess they were using thumb rings too, but I couldn't see them.
fletcherfor2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
caughtandhobble
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I have a 52" 45# old Pearson recurve that FIL gave me. I have played with it numerous times and I've found that shooting 2 under that the bow really performs well.
caughtandhobble is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #18
CM Sackett
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over N. America... S. Texas... and the Brazos area

Shorter bows, as stated well by the 'Ol Man', due to their shorter "working limb" area (some of the 12-13" riser'd modern T/Ds being an exception) tend to magnify ANY anomaly in form or release by the shooter.

Not a "bad" thing... just one of THOSE things to consider.

NOTE: I have a classic Swiss shortbow (the Mongols were not the only ones making short, powerful sweetstyks during those 'Middle' Ages...). It was crafted for me by a friend from Zurich. He is a dentist by trade, an archery historian, historic bowyer and inventor by Passion (he created the "Swiss Crossbow"... now being copied by several entities).

The horsebow he crafted for me is 46", end-to-end, and 60"@ 29" AMO.

Because of my friendship with Arvid, and this friend's respect and admiration for Arvid's innovative bend, this little whipperSnap is made from a single rod of Carbon... with the classic Birchbark 'skins' (just because that is the historically 'correct' skin for the bows he generally makes). And it has a very comfortable cork handle.

No finger pinch (yes, I do shoot 3-under. And yes, it DOES make a difference for most men on how the string 'feels' at full draw).

And if I do my job, it is an excellent partner on the hunt. A bit 'touchy', yes. But not at all 'unmanageable'.

As some know, I'm a big galute (6'6") with long arms and big hands. But I have several 56" recurves that I would not only trust, but enjoy.... anywhere. Any time. After having shot a few thousand different styks, and owning too many hundreds of 'em, it seems that HOW a bow is constructed is at least as vital to overall performance, feel AND 'shootability'... as its length.

-Sackett
CM Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #19
Mike Javi Cooper
Pope & Young

58" is the shortest you'll see me shoot..
Mike Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #20
TxAg
Pope & Young

Two Tracks makes a short 50" recurve called the Ambush

http://www.twotracksbow.com/store/in...ategory_id=168

Dan Toelke makes a 52" recurve called the Kestral

http://montanabows.blogspot.com/p/on...w-designs.html

The Ambush has gotten some amazing reviews, though I've never shot it. The Kestral is very nice also. I've shot the Kestral....wish I'd never sold it.

It's nice to shoot a bow before you buy it, but if you buy used, you really don't lose any money. Try chcking out the tradgang.com classifieds. I've bought and sold many on there.
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top