Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 05-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #2601
ground level
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalpel4 View Post
New to the forum, this is post number 1 for me. So I packed in and drove to point 7, took one look at that stairwell and said "You gotta be out of your mind!" packed back in and went to San Gabriel. Now is it just me, or are the entrances both channeled to private land and padlocked? Way to go TPWD. so back to 6 I went . .
There are reasons why a gate is closed and/or locked on a Unit - inquiring about such to either the controlling person on the area, whether it is Corps, TPWD, USFS or private landowner will give you an explanation to the action.
ground level is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #2602
scalpel4
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota View Post
I spent the last 2 weekends out there and didnt see much. I have spent all my time in the grove. And feel like ive hiked **** near the whole area on both sides of the river. except for the spillway area. I also baited a couple times but no luck. The only "3 pigs" I saw were questionable because 2 were at dusk and dawn and looked like little piglets. One was at 4am on the side of the river that I saw walking into the place I was going to hunt in the morning looked like it would have been 30-40lbs.
I'm with you there. I did walk way down the path almost to the spillway, not even a rustle in the bushes. I wouldn't have gone any farther, would have been too difficult dragging the carcass back. I'm guessing the big ones mobilized into the farm fields nearby to root the new crops. I also walked down the concrete ramp to the spillway near the entrance to take a look and survey, sat a while and watched, nothing that looked like they would be there during the day, just a stagnant pool at the bottom kept me from going any further.

But off 6, that looks like a good place to fish.
scalpel4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #2603
viper3853
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Valley, Gillett, Granger

Maybe I'll go out this weekend. Haven't been in a while. Do some fishing too.
viper3853 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #2604
NightStalker
Four Point

Anybody ever tried hog calling at Granger? Article in sports magazine says squealing piglets sounds will draw sows, and angry boar squeals will draw boars, even in daylight. Article said to use recorded sounds played over a speaker, not a mouth call.

Anybody tried it?
NightStalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #2605
surfin Pete
Four Point

I know it will work with a live squealing piglet. I think an elecronic call would work if you are undetected and get close to the right group of pigs. By right group of pigs I mean a group with little piggies, or a boar lookin' for a fight. I don't know if they have any restrictions on electronic calls at Granger, but check the regs. first, then try it out and let us know.
surfin Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #2606
Mister Bubba's bulletman
Ten Point

Hunt In: The ranch, Granger, NY, CO.

I never did.

There's so many hogs, so close, all the time, I would think it would upset them and they'd run off before you ever caught sight of them.

Might work, just check your 6 first. They're probably standing behind you looking at you.
Mister Bubba's bulletman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2012, 12:57 AM   #2607
Dirtymike
Ten Point

Hunt In: granger, victoria

Pigllets in a trash can squeeling was said to call in hogs to the primative camp GRXH2012. Standing on a pigllet will for sure call in a hog.
Dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #2608
Harrier
Nubbin' Buck

Default San Gabriel unit report

I'm not a bowhunter, but I've been shamelessly lurking on this thread for intel about a rabbit hunt (.410 shotgun) I'd planned for Granger WMA. In the interest of bow-gun diplomacy, I thought I would return the favor. I spent from 8 a.m. to about 4:30 p.m.Saturday out at San Gabriel, entering at Gate 6 and walking SW to Gate 7, trying to rustle up some bunnies. I looked in every brush pile, under every fallen tree, near every stream, but the closest I got to a shot was when I heard something scurry under the thick grass cover. I didn't even see it. For all I know, it could have been a rat. I would have settled for a squirrel, but I didn't see a single squirrel all day long. Needless to say, no rabbits either.

I also didn't see any hogs, which is not surprising since it was hot and I was there during the day, but I did see plenty of hog wallows and several piles of hog poop -- more toward the gate 7 end. I spooked a total of three deer -- only saw the tail end of one, then got a good look at two does later. Conditions were rough. The grass/weeds are very tall, and even where they're laid down it provides about six inches of dense cover for anything underneath. I kept stomping on tree limbs etc. that I couldn't otherwise see under the cover. I hope I didn't botch anyone else's stalk. Maybe you saw me; I was the guy in orange. I came across a wooden stand that someone had left leaning against a tree, and found a large corrugated metal shack maybe half a mile from gate 6.

There was no one at gate 6 when I got there in the morning, but I saw a few cars at gate 7 when I got within sight of it. After I got back to 6 I drove over to gate 5 to take a look around. I regard gate 5 as kind of a cruel joke. Maybe that area would be good for dove hunting or something.

If you have specific questions about signs/conditions/etc. let me know.
Harrier is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #2609
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Woods, where ever I get invited
Cool

Was that wood ladder right near the creek? I moved one during GRXH 2012 and sat it for an afternoon/evening. Always wanted to set up a spot at Granger, but 126 miles one way keeps me from doing that.

Last edited by Wudstix; 05-25-2012 at 04:02 PM..
Wudstix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #2610
GrangerBoars
Six Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

are you still allowed to hunt pigs out at granger? I was told there were gonna shut the whole thing down
GrangerBoars is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #2611
Txpepper
Ten Point

Hunt In: everywhere!

What and where are the blood weeds?
Txpepper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #2612
Team me
Ten Point

Hunt In: wherever i can

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhunter_pepper View Post
What and where are the blood weeds?
I'm assuming it's the ones in the overflow at the overlook or gate 9. Used to be hogs there but most people hunt there due to have to walk out there.
Team me is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #2613
Txpepper
Ten Point

Hunt In: everywhere!

Im heading out there tomorrow!!!
Txpepper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #2614
Team me
Ten Point

Hunt In: wherever i can

Good luck !
Team me is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #2615
Harrier
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudstix View Post
Was that wood ladder right near the creek? I moved one during GRXH 2012 and sat it for an afternoon/evening. Always wanted to set up a spot at Granger, but 126 miles one way keeps me from doing that.
On the north side of the creek, just east of a large clearing with a lot of knocked-down reeds that are super crunchy and loud when you try to cross over them. Closer to gate 6 than 7.
Harrier is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #2616
NightStalker
Four Point

Bloodweed is a local name for giant ragweed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrosia_trifida

It forms dense stands at Granger. As a woody annual, last years remnants are dry and crackly, making it difficult to move through without making a ton of noise.
The seeds are great forage for quail, which makes me wonder why Granger is not a Texas quail hunting destination. But I have seen like one covey in two years there. Some say the hogs eat the eggs. Go figure.
NightStalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2012, 12:11 AM   #2617
Dirtymike
Ten Point

I still think we need a herd or two of feral goats to eat the place down a little. Plus have an extra critter to hunt out there.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #2618
jbcates
Nubbin' Buck

Im new to this forum and to bow hunting also. I am thinking about goin out there to stalk and look. I have rifle hunted for many years but this bow thing got me intrigued and now Ive spent so much money on it I gotta try before my wife kills me. I have an idea of taking the rv to willis creek and canoeing into an area or two (will make it easier to haul out) any suggestions on where is best place? Also what do they make you wear as far as orange goes. I was always told that in bow areas once your at the stand(if you use one) it can be taken off.
jbcates is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #2619
huntnfishtex
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Childress, lampasas, burnet Granger

supposed to wear it at all times but plenty of people go without.
huntnfishtex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #2620
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
On the north side of the creek, just east of a large clearing with a lot of knocked-down reeds that are super crunchy and loud when you try to cross over them. Closer to gate 6 than 7.
That was it.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #2621
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcates View Post
Im new to this forum and to bow hunting also. I am thinking about goin out there to stalk and look. I have rifle hunted for many years but this bow thing got me intrigued and now Ive spent so much money on it I gotta try before my wife kills me. I have an idea of taking the rv to willis creek and canoeing into an area or two (will make it easier to haul out) any suggestions on where is best place? Also what do they make you wear as far as orange goes. I was always told that in bow areas once your at the stand(if you use one) it can be taken off.
Orange vest, $4.00 at Academy, and orange hat. Headband will work, many folks just forget to put it on. I have a stretchy hat that fits over my Filson style hunting hat. Orange strap that hangs from my backpack as I hunt.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:40 AM   #2622
Mister Bubba's bulletman
Ten Point

Hunt In: The ranch, Granger, NY, CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalker View Post
Bloodweed is a local name for giant ragweed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrosia_trifida

It forms dense stands at Granger. As a woody annual, last years remnants are dry and crackly, making it difficult to move through without making a ton of noise.
The seeds are great forage for quail, which makes me wonder why Granger is not a Texas quail hunting destination. But I have seen like one covey in two years there. Some say the hogs eat the eggs. Go figure.

Somewhere on this thread a few years back is a picture Johnny sent me that he took from the cab of his tractor while mowing showing how high the bloodweeds were down in the flats along the river in F. When we did the spotlight surveys in the bloodweeds our visibility was extremely limited.

There always hog and deer in those during the day in F. They like to nap in there and if pushed will run to the river and go out on the point. Sometimes if you can keep up with them you'll catch them swimming across into D.
Mister Bubba's bulletman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #2623
Maui-diver
Six Point

Hunt In: lampasas

Went out there today fishing!! We drove down till 29 ends, made left then first right. Drove over train track, then came to a big sign with some pic's of fish. Walked down the logged stairway and walked up stream about a mile. I know primative ramp is about 8 minute drive from there. Does anyone know what place this is?
Maui-diver is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #2624
Tomkat07
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Slick Trick, Shuttle T Lock, & Rage 2 Blade country !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcates View Post
Wonder if you can get ticketed for shooting from that truck cab?
Tomkat07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #2625
Dirtymike
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui-diver View Post
Went out there today fishing!! We drove down till 29 ends, made left then first right. Drove over train track, then came to a big sign with some pic's of fish. Walked down the logged stairway and walked up stream about a mile. I know primative ramp is about 8 minute drive from there. Does anyone know what place this is?
"the steps" White bass run fishing hole in feb It is part of the wma so you can hunt it.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #2626
CARNAGE68
Four Point

Hunt In: Granger WMA, Luminant WMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui-diver View Post
Dickerson Bottom
CARNAGE68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #2627
Neano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Trickham and Granger Lake

Will probably head out there once or twice in the next two weeks. Just looked at the Public Draw Hunts for 2012 and didn't see Granger on the list. Did I miss it or are they not doing them this year?
Neano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2012, 02:22 AM   #2628
bigbowman91
Four Point

Hunt In: granger wma, lake georgetown

Anyone heard anything about the postcard hunt yet?
bigbowman91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #2629
crod888
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can, primarily Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neano View Post
Will probably head out there once or twice in the next two weeks. Just looked at the Public Draw Hunts for 2012 and didn't see Granger on the list. Did I miss it or are they not doing them this year?
I had heard that they were not gonna do it because of budget issues.
crod888 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #2630
crod888
Ten Point

Just sent a message to Trey to see if he can give us any info
Old 06-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #2631
Montec man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hare/Granger, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by crod888 View Post
Just sent a message to Trey to see if he can give us any info
I'll ask Derek also.
Montec man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #2632
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Cool

Can't wait to get back.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #2633
Dirtymike
Ten Point

Quote:
I had heard that they were not gonna do it because of budget issues.
Makes perfect sense to me. Do not take money for hunts because you do not have any money....
Old 06-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #2634
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Cool

If they can't pay the employees to monitor the hunts it could get crazy. DM trying to get up there before my permit expires this year. Need to try out my new suspension system, as well.

Last edited by Wudstix; 06-08-2012 at 07:28 PM..
Old 06-09-2012, 04:04 AM   #2635
griffbowhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

What a beautiful sight!
griffbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #2636
*DW*
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where i can.

I may plan a trip there this year.
*DW* is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #2637
Dirtymike
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudstix View Post
If they can't pay the employees to monitor the hunts it could get crazy.
Who monitored them for the GRXH?
Old 06-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #2638
crod888
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtymike View Post
Makes perfect sense to me. Do not take money for hunts because you do not have any money....
I made acomment last year that most people would prolly pay $60-$80 for a permit out there...that would only add othere funds. Most guys agreed with me that $80 wasnt bad to hunt out there and take 3 deer.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #2639
viper3853
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Valley, Gillett, Granger

I hope they hold the post card hunt.
They should do it like they do it at Lake Georgetown.

Last edited by viper3853; 06-09-2012 at 10:24 PM..
viper3853 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2012, 12:32 AM   #2640
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Cool

Quote:
Who monitored them for the GRXH?
Wasn;t it your turn? You did a fine job.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #2641
Neano
Ten Point

Gonna head out tomorrow and watch some of my watering holes to see what pops up. Will most likely just drop some weight in sweat, but you never know.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #2642
Neano
Ten Point

Just got back. Didn't see anything. Was hot as all get out as I expected. Found a feeder and a game cam. Left a picture for ya. PM me if the cam is anybody on here. I was between checkpoint 6 and 7.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #2643
crod888
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neano View Post
Just got back. Didn't see anything. Was hot as all get out as I expected. Found a feeder and a game cam. Left a picture for ya. PM me if the cam is anybody on here. I was between checkpoint 6 and 7.
Ticks or snakes???
Old 06-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #2644
Neano
Ten Point

Quote:
Ticks or snakes???
Didn't see a single snake. Although I have decided that I don't really enjoy hunting through the day during summer as much due to being so worried about snakes that I'm not paying attention to much else. No ticks that I have found....yet
Old 06-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #2645
Dirtymike
Ten Point

Is any of it mowed down like in the past?
Old 06-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #2646
Neano
Ten Point

Quote:
Is any of it mowed down like in the past?
Nope. Most of it was 1 to 2 feet tall.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #2647
Dirtymike
Ten Point

Thanks buddy, thats what I thought. We need ferral goats!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #2648
chevota
Spike

Hunt In: Granger, Private land... Where ever I can

Yeah that would be nice. The last time I was out there I saw one place that had fresh tracks. I'd like to go back and sit and watch. Just had our first daughter so I haven't had a chance to go back.
chevota is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #2649
Dirtymike
Ten Point

Chevota, congrats on the new daughter. She will be a life changer. For the better of course. But yes it will limit your time at granger. I miss that freedom. Then I come home and hear "dayees home, my dayee my dayeee" and get a big hug and kiss. It washes the bad day at work away like nothing else! There will always be pigs, but your baby wont always be a baby. Dang they grow up too fast!
Old 06-14-2012, 11:53 PM   #2650
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Cool

My baby is 14, geez.