Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
WoodlandsRoy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardin County
Default Protein in E Texas

Do any of you east tx guys feed protein, and if so what type? Im mainly concerned with counties near Hardin/Polk/Liberty, or surrounding areas. Just curious of how the deer react to it and if its truely worth messing with. Im gonna plant 2 food plots in late August prob w clover and rye grass, about 2 acres each. Ive considered having a couple protein feeders going, (on 2200 acres) but not sure if its worth the money. Any info appreciated.
WoodlandsRoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazos Co, Rocksprings, Leon Co, and with CM every time I go out.

I did last year (local house brand) in Alto and the deer kept coming and filled back out from the drought.
Brazos Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
WoodlandsRoy
Ten Point

How long did it take them to start eating it? I had a buddy feed protein last spring for 3 months and said deer hardly touched it. Was in Jefferson county
Old 05-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
snuffer
Six Point

Hunt In: liberty, hardin, rusk.NM CO.

i use mg apple scented protein. in hardin county last year they ate it up fast, spin feeder freindly too. i fed it this year mixed with corn and now feeding straight protein, they are eating it slower right now i guess cause of the good green spring we are having. cost: its about the same price as corn this year so i cant justify not buying it.
snuffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #5
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandsRoy View Post
How long did it take them to start eating it? I had a buddy feed protein last spring for 3 months and said deer hardly touched it. Was in Jefferson county
They started from day one. I had been feeding corn for several months before and I switched to protein in my corn feeder when the price of corn went through the roof.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:25 AM   #6
Cuz
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central & West TX

I tried it at my place for 3-4 months last year and it just piled up. Even the **** hogs wouldn't eat it!!
Cuz is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2012, 05:09 AM   #7
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
I tried it at my place for 3-4 months last year and it just piled up. Even the **** hogs wouldn't eat it!!
You need to pour a little of the majic sauce from the Mason jar on it to get pigs in to eat it... Whazup Cuz?
Old 05-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #8
WoodlandsRoy
Ten Point

Cool, if it will work with a normal spin feeder I'll try it
Old 05-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #9
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

Real Talk Roy...... I been doing this a long time in that area........ rather than feed protien, plant imperial whitetail clover in late September and you have a serious protien and attractant Oct - April / May. Trust me on this one.

We planted 3 plot, for the last 8 seasons or so, all about a half acre and we have seen body size and antler size go through the roof !
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #10
3Tzn1J
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Set out a free choice feeder in January, put 2 bags of corn in first then M&G apple flavored 16% to the top. It was cool to see the pics of the deer trying to figure out the free choice feeder. Once they got through the corn, it didn't take long to go through the rest of the protein. I'll be going up this weekend to fill it for the 4th time and pull cards off the cams. I'm also planing on doing a food plot in September, in hopes of getting away from free choice feeders all together. The work and money needed up front is alot more with food plots but it pays it self back in a short period of time, when compared to going up and filling feeders once a month.[IMG][/IMG]
3Tzn1J is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #11
23wyatt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee, Nacogdoches, & Shelby County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
I did last year (local house brand) in Alto and the deer kept coming and filled back out from the drought.
X2 - they hit it from day one.
23wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #12
Aggiebush
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harrison and Red River Co., and anywhere I get invited.

I would definitely use a local brand, it is formulated for the needs of the area. We feed a blend from Martindale Feed Mill, and our deer LOVE it. Also, I wouldn't plant any food plots until late September, it's too risky. If you get a quick rain and the seeds germinate, then two weeks with no rain, you just lost your plots. I have been planting food plots in East Texas for 15+ years and have yet to lose a plot. Just watch the weather and plant accordingly.
Aggiebush is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
WoodlandsRoy
Ten Point

appreciate the comments, Im def looking forward to planting the plots. I have alot of thick cover and I have 2 good spots already cleared off, about 1-2 acres each that are in great locations for a plot. Both are in the middle of the 2200 acres with water close by, about 2 miles apart from each other. Gonna prob go with some type of clover, heard they grow well in the area.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #14
Shortbow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano & Sabine Co.

I know they will eat record rack and red river protien.
Shortbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #15
Cuz
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central & West TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
You need to pour a little of the majic sauce from the Mason jar on it to get pigs in to eat it... Whazup Cuz?
Haha! Yes Saw! That's what I did wrong...
Cuz is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #16
awatsonjr
Banned!!!

Trial and error. Make take several attempts to find one they like. Lots of stuff to browse on in east texas
awatsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #17
Ragin'
Pope & Young

Hunt In: New Waverly, Stonewall, Village Mills Texas. Fort Scott Kansas

Roy they are real good at eating it over her near Village Mills. Yet once again, at night!!! Lol
Ragin' is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #18
Sticks&Strings
Ten Point

Don't spin cast it, it causes it to break up more, and if it gets wet they won't eat it. Strt mixing it 60% corn, 40% protein and ween them onto straight protein. We feed lyssy and eckels down south but they will eat it in E.Tx too. We had to mix it first too. Now, they love it but definitely slow down on it when a wet spring comes. Natural Forbes are tastier I guess. Good luck and get a free. Choice feeder. Our next door neighbor in east tx feeds a bunch but not sure of brand.
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #19
Pineywoods Paul
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX
Default East Tx Protein well worth it

I feed Record Rack Protein by Purina and mixed corn to start. Now I only mix in mineral granules. My troughs hold 350 lbs of protein and I mix in 10 lbs of mineral. This has become addictive to the bucks from February until after antlers harden in September.

I'm in Polk County and have 4 troughs on my family place 830 acres. Our lease which adjoins has over 16 troughs on 6700 acres. Started Spring of 2011, photo cams confirm bucks are addicted. Results already impressive but we expect years ahead will exceed year 1 results. Coons get their share so just accept that. We use hog panels to keep piggies out.
Pineywoods Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #20
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

I use record rack in Polk county and they eat it well. Dont spin it though, use free choice. Just take your spinner off take a toilet flange, 3ft or so of PVC that fits the flange and then put a T on the bottom and attach flange where your spinner was. TOtal cost about 16 bucks. Also on your food plot, deer do NOT like ryegrass, cereal rye yes but not rye grass. the BEST thing to plant is a mixture of Oats and Wheat along with various clovers. Last thing, DO NOT plant in August, wait till at least the wkend closest to Sept. 15.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #21
Bonehead
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet Co

We had 12 fenced off protein feeders on 1600 acres in Polk County and fed April 1st to September. They were 300 lb feeders and we filled each twice. We started noticing heard improvement about year 4.
Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #22
Tomkat07
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Slick Trick, Shuttle T Lock, & Rage 2 Blade country !

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandsRoy View Post
Cool, if it will work with a normal spin feeder I'll try it
Do not put protein in a spin feeder. Not even protein corn mix. You will destroy your feeder.
I tried protein in liberty county year before last. They do not eat it. Not even pigs. Once it rots the pigs dig out the ground where it was.
Tomkat07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #23
SavedHarvester
Eight Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Newton County or anywhere I'm invited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebush View Post
I would definitely use a local brand, it is formulated for the needs of the area. We feed a blend from Martindale Feed Mill, and our deer LOVE it. Also, I wouldn't plant any food plots until late September, it's too risky. If you get a quick rain and the seeds germinate, then two weeks with no rain, you just lost your plots. I have been planting food plots in East Texas for 15+ years and have yet to lose a plot. Just watch the weather and plant accordingly.
I agree 100% ! I am a County Extension Agent and recently helped with a wildlife program in which one of the speakers was our State Climatologist and his prediction for the next 6 months was not very encouraging. With normal rainfall late August is still risky. But we are still in a drought trend even with the recent rainfall this Spring. Late Sept. or early October would be better for clover and Rye. And yes it takes very little soil moisture to germinate but a lot more moisture to sustain growth.
SavedHarvester is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top