Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
txpitdog
Ten Point

Default Picking a baseball glove

My wife lovingly got my son and I each a baseball glove for his first Christmas. He's now 5, and we've just been playing catch for his tball teams just over the past year and a half or so. I love that she got us gloves and he and I would stay out past dark every night playing catch and practicing...but something ain't right about the glove. It fits ok, but the pocket is way offset and I just do not get a solid feel when I catch the ball. Granted, my son isn't exactly zinging it in there, but it just doesn't feel right. It's broken in fairly well and although it isn't an expensive glove, it's held together great...but do y'all know what I mean by not feeling the way it should?

It's a Rawlings PM130, which I suspect may be a softball glove, and if so, that's probably the problem. I am certainly not "softball guy" or "coulda gone pro guy", but we will be playing a lot of ball together over the next 15yrs, and I am done wishing I had a different glove every time I catch the dang ball.

I expect that selecting a glove is similar to a guitar in that you just gotta pick the one that feels right. I'll go check some out at Academy, but does anyone have a recommendation for whether to look for an outfielder glove or infielder?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Last edited by txpitdog; 05-06-2012 at 09:50 PM..
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
tonyt79
Eight Point

Hunt In: All over

I am a pitcher for my sons coach pitch team and played baseball till I was about 25. I play softball now and use a baseball glove to do so because of the comfort. There should be a marking showing the length of the glove. That is normally what will tell what it is.
tonyt79 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
tonyt79
Eight Point

The 130 may mean it is a 13 inch glove which is huge if it is
Old 05-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
Billy Bad Bass
Four Point

Hunt In: West Blanco County

tonyt79 has it correct. It is the Playmaker Series 13 inch Softball Glove. I can't tell you much about what to choose but when my son started playing I bought the $29.99 cheap Rawlings 12 " at Academy. It did what it needed to do until about age 13. Then his pitches started hurting. Today at 15 , I don't even try to catch him. We will play catch but he won't throw full speed.
Billy Bad Bass is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
Big_gun
Ten Point

Hunt In: Open for Suggestions

http://www.rawlingsgear.com/softball.../pm130-rh.html
Big_gun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
tonyt79
Eight Point

Best thing to do is Try a glove on and if you like the way it feels, then break it in and it will be good
Old 05-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
SabineRR
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I play Highschool ball currently and here are a few of my opinions. Get a glove that is comfortable and sized correctly. I too had (still have) a glove that even though it is broken in, I hate they way it closes and it doesnt feel right on my hand. Go to a sports authority and try on a few and pick the best!
SabineRR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
rhodes520
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion County, Webb County

For just an everyday glove to play catch with the kids, I'd look for a larger infielders glove. I'd find a place that sells Nocona gloves and give them a look. They're all I used in high school and college. Made in Nocona .Tx
rhodes520 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #9
J. Colwell
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas and SE Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodes520 View Post
For just an everyday glove to play catch with the kids, I'd look for a larger infielders glove. I'd find a place that sells Nocona gloves and give them a look. They're all I used in high school and college. Made in Nocona .Tx
Nokona makes great gloves that have a feel absolutely like no other but are very pricey compared to some of the others.

Last edited by J. Colwell; 05-06-2012 at 11:14 PM..
J. Colwell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
Texaskid82
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction and Columbus

Gold glove series from Rawlings. Got mine like 11 years ago and still use it. Take care of it and it will last. The nocona gloves are top notch.
Texaskid82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top