Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Rate the Day Lease

Old 03-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
El Coyote
Pope & Young

Default Bexar County Bow Hunts 3/23-3/25/2012

Ok here is my review of our group hunt from 3/23-3/25. First off this was my first time going to a day lease, so i cannot say it was better than this or that. the hunters Bigmatt, Twizid +wife, Chootem, Apullin17, BowtechLefty, Art745 and a guy from austin now known as Creepy Dude...1100 acres.

We roll into the place around noon on friday passing a sign that says "Bubba Land". Get to the lodge and unpack. The lodge is great with sleeping quarters upstairs and 2 bathrooms, 4 showers.
Friday evening we wonder into Hog heaven a 85 acre pasture for hogs. Set up in popblind by a corn tube with a hoglight. Chootem needs a 4WD i was gonna go push. I have about 6 turkeys coming in around 6:30. Then around 7:15 a large sized Axis doe comes in walks around the feeder area for about a minute plenty of shot dang if i had only paid for an Axis hunt could have had her at 25-30yds. Next we meet up for a spot and stalk and take a walk down the main road in hog heaven...who's scared of the dark??? WE cant ever catch up with the hogs, so we call it a night. Go back and have some steak for dinner.

Couple of us get a wild hair and decide to go back and try an ambush style night hunt. WE can hear the dang hogs muching on the corn right around the bend, Chootem gets up comes to full draw, i stand up "snap" broken twig and the hogs scatter..... This happens i dont know about 3-4times... that night game is hard man.....call it quits about 1:30am. That is a heck of rush when your waiting then all of sudden you hear a big snort come from behind you. I;m pretty sure Chootem wet himself....

Saturday i dont go on a morning hunt. Twizid goes for a walk and jumps a small pack of coyotes. One makes a fatal flaw of looking back and then gets a heavy dose of Rageitis.. We decide what the plans are going to be for the evening hunt....that takes all of about 5hours....lol We eat some lunch/dinner
Bigmatt cooking.... Finally i set out to a lone tripod about 2 miles away from anyone else.....up on a small mesa...
Dang i got the best spot it has a tree branch for everything.......So i'm here sitting 10' up in this tripod and i can hear the animals moving. When i spot a Axis buck about 35-40 yds. He seems young eating some bluebonnets. He stays for about 20mins. http://s904.photobucket.com/albums/a...ent=Video9.mp4 So i'm text and surfing the green, when out of the corner of my eye i spot movement in the brush about 50 yards out....Dang looks like rams.....so i text Chootem and tell him i found his rams. No sooner then i send i realize that isnt a ram its a spotted pig FND's favorite...i think. Crap calm down lets see if she comes in....heart thumping...yep coming into the hand corn and Pig out i threw out. Is she 25-30 yrds...now i realize why people have rangefinders ....get some quick video on a Flip vid. Calm the nerves if i miss everyone is gonna ride me like a cheap bike.... 20yd pin or 30yd pin? Gap shot, if i miss FND gonna be mad already made fun of me for taking pictures of the bluebonnets....She never turns completely broadside, so i opt for a neck/back shoulder shot...Come to full draw get dialed in....slowly everything is calm not a thought in the world. Then gently squeeze the trigger, the nockturnal fires up like a rocket engine. It travels quick like a comet flying across the night sky leaving a red streak.......Thwack!!! right in the neck ahhh thats gotta hurt. One big squeal and a few kicks and thats it.....does take a single step..

Great i'm miles away from everyone and i have to load her alone. Up on the Polaris....and away i go...

Chootem and myself...
One thing i learned about skinning a hog was dont touch the hernia if it pops out right by your buddies face and think you can push it back in.....sorry about that Chootem....your a** face now......

All in all it was a great time. Very Green. I think i put in about 16 hours of actual hunting time....I listened to what Mr. Todd said and took his advice and in the end it paid off......there is more to the story but thats it for right now....Had a blast and will go back soon!!!!!!
El Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
El Coyote
Pope & Young

Forgot
Mathews Drenalin 64lbs 29"draw
Beman ICS hunters
Rage 2 Blade
Cameron Crested Wraps
Old 03-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
The "Juan" 12
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stamford, Tx

Right on brotha, we needa get another trip together sometime.
The "Juan" 12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
El Coyote
Pope & Young

juneish.......??
Old 03-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
The "Juan" 12
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by art745 View Post
juneish.......??
Whenever, I'm right here in nw sa so I only got a 20 minute drive to castroville so pretty much just need the heads up to when to make sure I can fund it.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
Habanarrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas, Comfort, 6th Street

Good chooting fellas !
Habanarrow is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #7
Loreva13
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraan, TX, El Paso, TX, Van Horn, TX, and Fort Hancock, TX

Seems like it was a great time! Congrats on the porker!!!
Loreva13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #8
takoma
Ten Point

Hunt In: everywhere

Awesome !! way to go !!! how did the others hunters do ? Did they spot any big axis while out there ? -
takoma is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #9
El Coyote
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by takoma View Post
Awesome !! way to go !!! how did the others hunters do ? Did they spot any big axis while out there ? -
No we didn't have anyone hunting the Axis...
Old 03-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
Big Matt
Ten Point

Talking

Great write up Art, i had a blast even though didnt find my turkey.Maybe I'll have better luck next week while I'm back out there. I'm ready for our next visit out there in June.
Big Matt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
bu2herndog
Pope & Young

Congrats!
bu2herndog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
Apullin17
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

Nice write up Art. Had a great time out there meeting some fellow TBH's. Made a bad shot on a hog, but thats how it goes sometimes. Look forward to hunting with yall again sometime. CHILLI DOOOGGGG!!
Apullin17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
Bowtech Lefty
Ten Point

Hunt In: Medina and Frio Counties

Great write-up Art!

Takoma, I was chasing axis but sightings were few and far between. It's just too green and they have a ton of land to hide in. They were not coming in to feeders, at least that was my experience.

I saw lots of turkeys but they just wouldn't cooperate with me! I was able to do a midday stalk on a group of pigs near a creek bed in some knee high grass. I got a shot off but couldn't find my arrow or the pig....not sure what happened?

I had fun with you guys and look forward to doing it again! If any of you guys....Matt, Art, Travis, Brad or Arron want to shoot some hogs let me know and we can run down to my lease in Frio County! We are loaded with them!
Bowtech Lefty is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
takoma
Ten Point

Hunt In: everywhere

thanks bowtech lefty ! - curious about them axis
takoma is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
El Coyote
Pope & Young

I hadnt even gotten to Chootem and I and the night stalk on sat till 2:00am.....2 misses...
Old 03-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #16
Chootem
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can!

Nice write up Art. I had a blast with you guys, even though the new growth made it tough. From running around the hog pasture like a wild man with Art to hangin at camp the whole deal was a great experience, enough so to where we already have another trip planned, same guys, same place. I'm trying to get my buddy who flies a helicopter to crop dust the entire place with roundup honestly, when you're with good company, the kills are just a bonus. My only regret, I should have chili dogged creepy dude. On the same note I should have spidermaned Art after he popped the hernia 6" away from my face as I was down on my knees helping him skin his hog. Face full of pig poop!! Doesn't really taste all that bad no, it does! To sum it up-great place, great guys, and great time. Axis in June pumpkins!!!!!
Chootem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #17
Big Matt
Ten Point

Can't wait for June Scott, sent me a few pics of some of the axis eating at a protein feeder. By June should be ready to shoot with no velvet.
Attached Images

Big Matt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2012, 10:44 PM   #18
DoubleGArchery
Ten Point

Good job congrats on the pig. Very good place to hunt.
DoubleGArchery is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #19
The "Juan" 12
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Matt View Post
Can't wait for June Scott, sent me a few pics of some of the axis eating at a protein feeder. By June should be ready to shoot with no velvet.
I'll be after one of them
Old 04-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #20
MattSimpson
Four Point

Hunt In: Shackleford

We have a hunt scheduled the first weekend of May with a handfull of people. Should be fun!!!
MattSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #21
El Coyote
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSimpson View Post
We have a hunt scheduled the first weekend of May with a handfull of people. Should be fun!!!
Good luck listen to Mr Todd..
Old 04-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #22
Twztid
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilson Co.

Man Im ready to go back! were gonna have a house full!! I'm all paid up! Axis down and chilli dogggin good times wonder what ever happened the creepy dude?!

Last edited by Twztid; 04-13-2012 at 09:34 PM..
Twztid is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #23
DepotDan
Eight Point

Very good read.
DepotDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #24
ahunter55
Six Point

What happened on the scheduled hunts last spring & after? Anything arrowed??
ahunter55 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #25
Ruben Garza
Four Point

Hunt In: South / Central Texas

Gonna have to try that place. Congrats.
Ruben Garza is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top