Mountain Bike Trailer....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mountain Bike Trailer....

Built out of a mountain bike. I have been toying with this idea for a while. I was mulling it over a few days ago and then it hit me like a ton of bricks. I could do this, cut that, put this here. I have had this bike for about 15 years and it had been out in the elements for 12. It would have cost more to get it running again than it was worth so I decided to recycle it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	24817078

The initial plan was to leave the back tire in place but I figured pretty quick that it would have been a pain to load. So I got a piece of 1/2''id pipe and a 1/4'' *I think) rod to build the axle. A huge stroke of luck allowed the spacers from the front rim to pop into the pipe perfectly.

Name:	spacer.jpg
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	24817080

Name:	axle.jpg
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	24817081

Well, here it is...

Name:	after2.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	24817082

I still am working on a solution for the hitch. It will be attached to the quick disconnect so it can attach to the forks still. It will need to be something with a ball joint so it will turn and go up and down hills. Any suggestions?

Name:	hitch.jpg
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	24817083

[ATTACH]181823[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]181824[/ATTACH]

Comment

1/2" socket swivel drilled and pinned to a old socket? Or check out this link

Comment

You might consider an "old school" bicycle seat post clamp. It might swivel around your seat post(un-tightened) and with your forks axle through it should allow for up and down travel as well.....just a thought

Comment

Nice. I'm wanting to use my bike for hunting. I've seen different ideas for a trailer, but this is the first one like this that I've seen.

You might try taking off that reflector, or moving it, and using some kind of clamp around the seat post that has something to hook into, and using a caribeener to hook the trailer to that clamp. That will provide plenty of flexibility.

Comment

I did something like this.

Name:	hagerman bike #1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	23946982

Just used a piece of PVC pipe (sch. 40) and drilled a hole in it for the bike seat. Then cut a notch in the other end for the game cart handle to fit in and clamped it on.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
              I did something like this.
              [ATTACH]181859[/ATTACH]

Just used a piece of PVC pipe (sch. 40) and drilled a hole in it for the bike seat. Then cut a notch in the other end for the game cart handle to fit in and clamped it on.
              sorry for bumping an old thread, but how has that worked out for you.

it the PVC a viable option?

thanks

Comment

Worked like a champ. Although that bike deteriorated and I gave the cart away. Now I need another set up.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                  Worked like a champ. Although that bike deteriorated and I gave the cart away. Now I need another set up.
                  thanks, you wouldn't happen to have any close up pics, do you?

Comment

Reminds me of the Quiet Kat

Comment

Man this is an old thread. I have a pretty high dollar bike trailer for kids to ride in (I bought it used for 10% of original cost). It attaches rigid to the frame then has a pretty heavy spring in the attachment arm. The spring just flexes when you turn. A trampoline spring would work.

Comment

Those are sweet set ups. I have to post this in order to get my post count up so I can post a pic and ask a real question. Nubbin buck status is so limiting on TBH

Comment

Never used tapatalk but here goes ... See pic of the cart my Father in Law just gave me to support my Hagerman hunting efforts. Can this be modified to go behind a bike? My concerns are the weight and tire size. Might be just a good cart to manually haul a carcass. Thoughts?

Comment

I think that cart would make way to much noise being pulled behind a bike.

Comment

Agreed. The sides can all come off like a flat bed which may be a plus.

Comment

Working...
                              X