Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-18-2007, 03:57 PM   #51
bklem
Ten Point

I'm new here. Been lurking for about 3 wks. I'm a lurker and sometimes poster on many sites(kind of comes as part of my job). Gotta say that this discussion is by far and away the most professionaly handled one I've ever seen on any board. At any point I just knew someone was going to get mad and/or their feelings hurt or a moderator would come in with their own opinion and lock it down after stating their opinion. Heck you guys were so convincing in your arguments I don't even remember where I stand! LOL
bklem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #52
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I didn't miss that point, Dale. I feel that it is inconsequential to my point. Those people don't give a **** what is legal or illegal. Any thing they can use to further their cause, they will.
That's because those people (liberals) are idiots, and we can't help that. But the fact is, Vick is bein indicted (by the FBI) for (allegedly) commiting a crime(s)! Not because someone doesn't like what he (allegedly) did, but because it was (allegedly) illegal.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #53
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Welcome to the site Bklem.

You're right about your observations....that's what makes this the best forum on the web! Once you realize that everyone is not going to agree with you and it's not the end of the world, things go pretty smooth.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2007, 04:08 PM   #54
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stephens Co., TX

Oh, and you forgot this one, Chew...
Quote:
— In March 2003, after a pit bull from Bad Newz Kennels lost in a fight, it said Peace consulted with Vick about the losing dog's condition, then executed it by wetting it with water and electrocuting it;
Yes, it's beyond dog fighting. These people are going out of their way to come up with creative ways to be cruel. Wetting a dog down and electrocuting it?! That's not exactly the most efficient or convenient way of disposing of an animal. Just think for a minute about the planning, time and effort that would be involved to even make that happen. So one can only assume it was done in this particularly sensational manner for their personal "entertainment," not just to kill the dog. And I can only begin to imagine what a wet, electrocuted dog must smell like.
Snakelover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2007, 04:42 PM   #55
Bones
Ten Point

Dale, you are correct. It is illegal and that is why he was indicted. That is undisputed fact. He should be tried by a jury of his peers, not judged and sentenced by our liberal media. Or us.

The reason that I find the legal status of his alleged actions irrelevant to my point is as follows............... Had he been seen cock-fighting in Panama or doing anything else "cruel to animals", regardless of legal status, his actions and social position would still be used by the lefties and the media to further their cause.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if cock-fighting is legal in Panama. I assume that it is. It was just an off the cuff example.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2007, 04:58 PM   #56
Extremebowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens County

Sorry Heavies, don't know him, don't care to, he's a P.O.S.
Extremebowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2007, 06:49 PM   #57
Jaspro
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Dog fighting? I wasn't even talking about that. Ya'll must have missed the parts I read. No way to justify this stuff.

"I was surprised to see that they were killing dogs by hanging them and one dog was killed by slamming it to the ground. Those are extremely violent methods of execution — they're unnecessary and just sick."

About eight young dogs were put to death at the Surry County home after they were found not ready to fight in April 2007, the indictment said. They were killed "by hanging, drowning and/or slamming at least one dog's body to the ground."
Your right Chew and when I posted last night I had not seen the part about the electrocution or hanging. Had it just been fighting this would not be such a big deal as it would jsut be a misdemeanor animal cruelty charge just as Cock Fighting in Texas is. To do that to a dog is just plain stupid. I have 2 uncles who are pretty deep in the greyhound business, which is sometimes compared to dog fighting by the tree huggers, and they wouldn't ever do that to one that broke a leg. A .22 is much more humane and not as much an attention grabber.
Jaspro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2007, 07:34 PM   #58
Scrambler
Six Point

Reported that he has 84 charges against him, some being felonies.

Just look at everything he has done in the past and now you have this = P.O.S.
Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2007, 07:40 PM   #59
TxLace
Six Point

Hunt In: Blanco County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
When you choose to live life in the spotlight, you'd better expect people to notice when you screw up.
Thank yooooouuuuu.
TxLace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2007, 07:59 PM   #60
Cuz
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central & West TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Remember that after they are done with Vick and his dog fighting, they are coming after me for my hog doggin. After that, they are coming after all of us because bow hunting is also cruelty in their eyes.
O so true!!!Dont get me wrong i do not have a problem with hog doggin.I do with fighting but ONLY because its so brutal.NOT because i think the dogs dont enjoy it.The way they "say" they were killing the dogs should unacceptable to any human.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2007, 10:37 PM   #61
Higee
Ten Point

My point in posting that picture was to see what the similarity is to Hog Doggin and dog fights. I've never chased hogs with a dog and seen them heel on command but I have seen pictures of the damage that a Hog can do to a Dog.

I guess I still see the family pet as part of the family and not so much a working part of the family.
Higee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2007, 11:22 PM   #62
greenflag
Ten Point

Life is full of choices good & bad. He made a bad choice. Prisons are full of people who have made bad choices. I may be wrong but my call is he will probably get off with a slap on the wrist if he has the cash......
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2007, 01:20 AM   #63
skeeter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Kimble and Colorado Counties

First of all, these kinds of reports should not come out til AFTER the trial. This guy and every other celebrity who get accused of something get hammered long BEFORE the trial.

With that being said, does it matter what a criminals name is? If every convicted criminal were punished to the full extent of the law, I feel things would be different. The punishments today do not fit the crime.
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2007, 06:33 AM   #64
KSHogman
Ten Point

Dog fighting sucks !!!!!!!!!!!! I hope they let him have it.
KSHogman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2007, 08:03 AM   #65
rtread
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lincoln County, NM; Texas rover

Last year when Vick was disrupting his team's locker room and being a general AH, I put him in the same class as T.O. My apologies to T.O.
rtread is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2007, 08:29 AM   #66
Evotek Bows
Four Point

Hey, I am a PRO Football Quarterback. I can do what I want and never get in trouble.
Evotek Bows is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2007, 09:40 AM   #67
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

AWE!!! MA!!!! GAWD!!!!! Whoever brought Hog Doggin into this thread SHOULD BE BEAT WITH A WET NOODLE!!!

Go to a high level hog doggin bay competition, both of the Grand Sires from my dog are WORLD champs, and if a Bay dog even bites a hog at a competition it will be DQ'ed, every dog I have ever owned was a working dog, if not for cattle , coon doggin, or tracking they have always been working parts of my family...

Hog dogging is NOTHING like fighting dogs and has absolutely no comparisons...
Tuffbroadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2007, 11:38 AM   #68
Big Bill
Eight Point

In my experiance with pit bulls and other wild animals a fight generally ends with the loser running away and the winner letting him live. Hogs run from the dog or turns too fight he has a choice, the dog chooses to chase the hog or not too. In dog fighting there are no choices for the animal to make it is fight or face some jackass with a waterhose and electricity. I for one see no place for pit bulls in socity except for chasing and catching hogs. They are a dangerous animal if not handeled properly but at their worst they should never be treated in the manner this lowlife treated them.

As a hunting dog they are following their instincts as a fighting dog they are just trying not too die. And in most cases I would suspect the owners are a bigger threat to their lives than the opposing dog.
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2007, 11:44 AM   #69
Joey~AP
Administrator

Hunt In: Texas

Yall stay on topic, please!

This thread is about a worthless, glorified pro-football player....who just got his Nike grub line....put on hold!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
()_)--()_)---o-)_)
Joey~AP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2007, 11:56 AM   #70
Russ81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason County, Texas

See I didn't know about the hanging, drowning and other ways they were killing the dogs. THAT is why I think he should be held accountable.

As for hog dogs / Fighting dogs, there is a BIG differnece. What happen to all the stories about PEOPLE vanishing in the woods back in the day for messing with a man's dog? Hell, I just got done reading "point of impact" and while fiction, I know several Bob Lee Swagger types that would open a can of Whoop ***** cause someone kill they're dog.

Hog runners don't beat they're dogs to make them mean like fighters do. They don't do things like Dusty said about the 9 month old pit.

I say give him his day in court and throw the book extra hard at him.
Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2007, 03:16 PM   #71
Coon
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzins8 View Post
I'm glad you posted that!!! Brings me to a point..I DO NOT agree with dog fighting and dont like Micheal ***** but REALLY What is the difference?Letting your dog attack another dog and letting your dog attack a wild hog ?And please don't tell me that it is different because the dogs like to get on hogs.There is nothing more that a fighting dog likes than to fight.I understand that there are much less injuries in hog doggin that fighting but...........

Now i will sit back and take my beating.

The biggest difference, to me, is that hog dogs aren't intended to fight to the death. Yes, sometimes dogs die fighting hogs, or vice-versa. But the intention is for the dog to hold a hog until the hunter can get there to dispatch or capture it. Dog fights are intended to result in the death of one of the dogs at the jaws of the other. Nature can be cruel, and she doesn't need us to add to the cruelty by causing dogs to fight one another to the death. That's just one aspect of it. I am sure there are many other differences between dog fighting and hog-dogging. This is just my $.02.

Dave
Coon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2007, 04:22 PM   #72
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Sad situation to be honest! The guy has proven to be incapable of handling money, success and the spotlight. I have seen dog fights on a few occassions growin up in Louisiana as I have also seen a cock fight. None of this electricution stuff or beating critters to death ever took place. These idiots were totally outta control and totally against the law for clarification. Louisiana just became the last state to make cock fighting illegal....guess PETA wins again! Yep, we are NEXT folks!!!!
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2007, 06:02 PM   #73
Flame-Tamer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rhome,TX

Dog Fighting in Alabama and Georgia is like Cock Fighting is here in Texas.

Illegal!!! Look... wwe all know that Michael Vick will be slapped on the hand and released to do more illegal things like most Pros get for the things that other normal no pros would put under the jail.....

Hope he gets what he desrves... Here and later!!!

Can't stand people who think theyare above the law!!!
Flame-Tamer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2007, 08:18 PM   #74
rtread
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lincoln County, NM; Texas rover

As has been pointed out, dog fighting is the lesser crime he is accused of and not what this thread is addressing. If you have been following this story, he is accused of atrocious acts (torture, cruel punishment, inhumane deaths, etc.). If he is convicted of the crimes and does not receive proper punishment, justice will not be served. There never will be an injustice like the OJ Simpson debacle....I hope this doesn't come close.
rtread is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2007, 10:19 PM   #75
TimH
Pope & Young

Considering all that's involved in this indictment, I don't see how he can escape a guilty conviction for something. At the very least, he new this stuff was happening at his home.

Even if by some odd chance he walks away from all of this totally acquitted, society in general will always consider him guilty. The next time he walks the field in a game, I bet he's booed big time.

His image will not go untarnished in some way.

I'm glad I don't have any kids that looked up to him as any sort of roll model.

POS in my opinion is fitting so far.
TimH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2007, 10:48 PM   #76
diamondrules
Ten Point

Location: Jefferson,Texas for the first 37 years now fountain inn,south carolina
Hunt In: Laurens County, SC Jalapa Hunt Club

Bones, not all hogs that are caught with dogs are in the wild. They do have contest that the hog is in a small arena and cant go anywhere, so I too dont see the difference. The only difference is if you do it, it doesnt seem wrong.
diamondrules is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2007, 02:12 PM   #77
ccupit
Ten Point

Hunt In: anderson county edwards county

it runs in the family both vicks cant stay out of trouble and u would think if they are gettin paid millions of dollars a year their butts could stay out of trouble
ccupit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2007, 02:16 PM   #78
leoparddog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County

Diamond till you have done some hog doggin you have no idea and the arena you are talking about is prob bay competion where the dog is not allowed to put teeth on hog or it is DQ.
leoparddog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2007, 04:34 PM   #79
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondrules View Post
Bones, not all hogs that are caught with dogs are in the wild. They do have contest that the hog is in a small arena and cant go anywhere, so I too dont see the difference. The only difference is if you do it, it doesnt seem wrong.
I did not know that Jim Zumbo was posting on here???
Tuffbroadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #80
Heath
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cisco / Ira

I heard that Nike is about to release the new Vick shoes for this fall. Their new slogan......

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight....
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2007, 07:47 PM   #81
OKBOWHUNTER
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Anywhere and everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higee View Post
My point in posting that picture was to see what the similarity is to Hog Doggin and dog fights. I've never chased hogs with a dog and seen them heel on command but I have seen pictures of the damage that a Hog can do to a Dog.

I guess I still see the family pet as part of the family and not so much a working part of the family.
Hog dogging has got nothing to do with dog fights . Comparing Dog Fighters to Hog Doggers is like comparing Rosie O Fat ***** to Tiffany Lakosky
OKBOWHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2007, 09:07 AM   #82
CHUD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pike County Arkansas

Vick was most likely an IDIOT long, long before he became wealthy and famous. Money never changes who they are, the general public seems to be unaware that money and fame don't make someone a role model.

...guess PETA wins again! Yep, we are NEXT folks!!!![/quote]

Hig, I hope your wrong, PETA sucks.
CHUD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2007, 12:11 AM   #83
Bones
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondrules View Post
Have you been reading the PETA news paper? I have no idea where else you could have gotten such mis-information.

The contests which you referr to are called bay competitions. To bay, is to imobilize without physical restraint. Same thing as hearding only the point of hearding is to move an animal to a designated location.

If you would like to educate yourself prior to making any more ignorant statements, I will be holding a bay competition on September 15th in Burnet Tx. There will be well over 500 dogs of all beeds competing. You are welcome to come and educate yourself.

Just PM me for directions or look for them posted on texasboars.com
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2007, 08:27 AM   #84
cantexduck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: all over central Texas

Bones, Give me a call(reminder) when you hold that comp., I would like to go see that for sure!!!! Not in the way diamond needs to see it, I just wanna watch those bad azz dogs of yours!!-Mike-
cantexduck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2007, 11:58 AM   #85
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtread View Post
There never will be an injustice like the OJ Simpson debacle....I hope this doesn't come close.
I think I know what you are saying BUT hopefully you ain't comparing abuse and deaths of DOGS to a human beings! Not even in the same breath do they go together.
Heck, the PETA folks have "rats and humans" on the same level!!! Let it be known for the record that I will kill every rat/mouse within 30 seconds of sighting!
O.J. is a pitiful and sad situation and if the families had any heart that mess would have ended LONG ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
I did not know that Jim Zumbo was posting on here???
Now you NAILED that one!!!!!! Too FUNNY!!!
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2007, 01:14 PM   #86
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stephens Co., TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
I heard that Nike is about to release the new Vick shoes for this fall. Their new slogan......

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight....
That's great!
Snakelover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2007, 01:31 PM   #87
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper, TX

A couple of things that I would like to throw in..

1st. As someone that has taken the time to go to Austin to fight for our rights to hunt with dogs, let me inform you that PETA and others have been working to get it outlawed for YEARS......And I am afraid to say that one day they will get it passed. Why you ask? Because the bulk of the population live in big cities and have no connection with a rural life style. They form their opinions of nature though Disney movies. Heres another newsflash for ya
'll there is a hell of a lot more of them then there is of us. So as hunters we need to support all legal forms of hunting 100% or the next thing outlawed just might be the hunting that you like to do.

2nd. I do not like Vick at all, never have but passing judgement on someone based on what you read in the media is 100% BS and stupid. According to "our" liberal media the President should be impeached, we never should have gone to war (just forget about 911), drugs should be legal, and hunting is wrong....

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2007, 04:33 PM   #88
KHo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon and Nacogdoches Counties

Bobby -

I am wit you on this MFing topic. I like the way you roll!
KHo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2007, 04:35 PM   #89
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

I agree with you Tx Hoghunter....but the liberal media didn't produce the multi-page indictment with all the evidence. Investigators did.

Kevin...LMAO. I hope they bring down the "Sledgehammer" on him!
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top