Matagorda Island WMA General Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matagorda Island WMA General Deer

Got drawn for 11/30-12/02 hunt. Anyone else get drawn?

Sub'd

Comment

I guess you and I are the only ones on TBH.

Comment

Good luck gents!

Comment

We've hunted it in years past. Its primitive camping and you do not want to be running back and forth between hunts to the mainland if you can keep from it. They take you to the blinds, the shots can be a pretty good distance. Take plenty of mosquito spray and ice. It's a neat hunt, lots of wide open areas. Find out if there were any prescribed burns on the island and hunt those areas as the vegetation is sweeter for the deer. If not try hunting either towards the north end of the island by the lighthouse or as far south as they will take you. If it's rained or looks like rain, take some waders because some of the walks to the blinds from the drop-off are low and you'll find yourself wading through 2-3ft of water.

Did I mention mosquito spray?

Comment

Thanks Mexico.

Good info Biggie. Thanks for posting

Comment

tx, good binoculars will help a lot. Those deer are like ghosts moving in and out of the tall grass.

Originally posted by BiggieSmalls View Post
              We've hunted it in years past. Its primitive camping and you do not want to be running back and forth between hunts to the mainland if you can keep from it. They take you to the blinds, the shots can be a pretty good distance. Take plenty of mosquito spray and ice. It's a neat hunt, lots of wide open areas. Find out if there were any prescribed burns on the island and hunt those areas as the vegetation is sweeter for the deer. If not try hunting either towards the north end of the island by the lighthouse or as far south as they will take you. If it's rained or looks like rain, take some waders because some of the walks to the blinds from the drop-off are low and you'll find yourself wading through 2-3ft of water.

Did I mention mosquito spray?
              There was an accidental fire last year, truck lit up a couple thousand acres towards the end.

Comment

As a Calhoun County native I've always question what this hunt would have in store. As far as burns, I'm pretty sure justletmein's statement was correct. Good luck! Ready to hear this one out

Comment

I hunted it back in 2017. Shot my buck within 30 minutes of sitting in the blind. Ton of people shot deer in the first afternoon with a few of them being good bucks for island deer. Camping isn't bad quite a few mosquitos though. I shot my deer at about 70 yards but other guys were shooting deer out to 300 especially on the binds that are closest to the surf. Blinds are all drawn but if there are openings they will let you choose a different one.

Comment

If you don't have a boat to get out to the island I know some fishing guides in POC that will taxi you out to the island (Not sure how much they charge). PM if needed and I can give you their number.

Comment

Dang, I got drawn for the first hunt ever in like 1982. I just got to Texas and my Texan born and raised GF laughed at me saying, Matagorda is a beach, there are no deer there. So, I didn't send my money in, $50 back then. Well, a couple of years later I ran into a game warden that happened to work that hunt. He told me there were many big bucks shot that hunt. That GF turned into my first mistake, and then ended up being my first ex in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Cberry View Post
                        I hunted it back in 2017. Shot my buck within 30 minutes of sitting in the blind. Ton of people shot deer in the first afternoon with a few of them being good bucks for island deer. Camping isn't bad quite a few mosquitos though. I shot my deer at about 70 yards but other guys were shooting deer out to 300 especially on the binds that are closest to the surf. Blinds are all drawn but if there are openings they will let you choose a different one.
                        Awesome thanks for the info. Hope to get it done quickly but well see. Can you PM me a pic of your buck if you don't mind.
                        Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                        Dang, I got drawn for the first hunt ever in like 1982. I just got to Texas and my Texan born and raised GF laughed at me saying, Matagorda is a beach, there are no deer there. So, I didn't send my money in, $50 back then. Well, a couple of years later I ran into a game warden that happened to work that hunt. He told me there were many big bucks shot that hunt. That GF turned into my first mistake, and then ended up being my first ex in Texas.
                        hahaha nice

Comment

[QUOTE=txoutdoorsman24;15108946]Awesome thanks for the info. Hope to get it done quickly but well see. Can you PM me a pic of your buck if you don't mind.

I couln't figure out how to add attachments in the PM's.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I hunted a few years ago. Great place, but a huge storm went through and destroyed my tent. All poles snapped, and water everywhere. We end up sleeping inside the abandon building for the rest of the hunt. One of the hunters decided to stay out all day during the storm, he didn't have much fun on it!.
                            I only had one chance at a deer, but I hadn't even loaded the gun yet so no shot. Didn't have another chance!... But others shot nice deer usually 300 yards or so.

Comment

[quote=Cberry;15109290]
                              Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                              Awesome thanks for the info. Hope to get it done quickly but well see. Can you PM me a pic of your buck if you don't mind.

I couln't figure out how to add attachments in the PM's.

Comment

Working...
                              X