Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m going to try and go this week or next. All I know is we need rain

Comment

It’s dry dry dry. Need rain bad. Tall grass. Deer are hungry but healthy.

Comment

REALLY hot and dry. We were going to have a MONSTER acorn crop but the dry stretch is causing most of the little acorns to drop prematurely. Deer should be hitting feeders as there is not much out there in the way of browse.
        Adios,
        Gary

Comment

Covert is showing some great deer this year. Few big axis and they are hungry. Shaping up to be a great year for sure.

Comment

dry dry dry

Comment

We will be down Labor Day weekend. Should be able to catch a menard Yellowjacket football game Friday night!

Comment

I was up on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning and I can vouch for the heat. I did notice a ton of acorns in the trees but they looked smallish to me. We did get a decent rain last week, so that is a start.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                  Ok trophy8, you asked for it. I have been taking advantage of these cool mornings, jogging my hounds to try to keep them in shape and training on a couple of young gyps. I had a little bad luck a couple of days ago as my best dog, Jill treed a coon, climbed as usual and fell out in a rock pile. I thought that she was okay as I continued to hunt but the next morning, found her dead in the kennel. The youngsters better come along as there are some really big shoes to fill.
                  About the antler growth; antlers on free ranging bucks without supplemental protein are 30-40% better than last year. This is for two very obvious reasons. One, it has rained and rained since last August, about the time it dries out, we get another good rain so natural browse is WAY about average. The second reason is that most of the better looking bucks are three and four years old, not showing to be really mature such as five years old and above. While we had a dry springs for the last couple of years, overall precipitation has not been that bad and these bucks developed healthy bodies though were short in antlers because of the poor springs. Now we have had the great spring and they are at ages where most of the nutrition that they take in will go to antler growth rather than growing a body.
                  I have seen two groups of bucks with 7 in each group and several groups of 3-5. I am also seeing more 10 point bucks than normal. I have not seen a buck that I thought was in the 7+ age though I am afraid that these bucks were so adversely affected by the drought of 2011 and 2012 that they will never be great antlered bucks.
                  Adios,
                  Gary
                  Thanks for the information, Gary. I agree with you on the bucks from the drought years.

Comment

Bump. Any updates from out there? Season is right around the corner

Comment

Originally posted by MenardCountyBow View Post
                      Bump. Any updates from out there? Season is right around the corner

Dry dry dry. Deer are hungry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had a few scattered showers but overall still very dry. Deer are hitting feed hard as vegetation and browse is dry. Very few doves as of today. Less than I have ever seen here for this time of the year.
                        Most deer appear to remain in good body condition and good rains would help keep them there. I heard that Anthrax made it almost to Ft. McKavett in a few isolated areas but appears to be slowing down.
                        Adios,
                        Gary

Comment

Hunted in just past the llano river on the Brady side since 94. FIL just inquired 222 acres in between mason and llano, art to be exact. Was up there last weekend. A couple showers but was pretty dry. Very few dove. Tuned in to this post.

Comment

Need some rain bad. Been getting quite a few deer that look like this sent to me from the spypoint

Comment

Originally posted by huntindude View Post

Need some rain bad. Been getting quite a few deer that look like this sent to me from the spypoint

I saw much the same at my Kimble county lease. Well above average antlers but low body weight. I suspect they will swarm the corn feeders in early now season but the meat will be very lean.

Comment

Should be a good year..

Comment

Working...
                                X