Arrow Speed vs. Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
    aww now, don't be like that, we just having a friendly discussion. Please don't get upset over this.
    👍😁

Comment

Sorry for the hijack, didn’t want to flood the pages with a similar question.

Ordering new arrows and want to balance speed and weight. Currently shooting 27” 6mm Axis 340 with 50gr of brass roughly 460gr with a lighted nock on the back. Tried going to 75gr extra up front but it caused erratic arrow flight. Want an arrow that can pull double duty for hunting and 3D.
      Have been really happy with the 6mm Axis arrows so was probably going to stick with them, but wanted to see if I there would be considerable difference going to a 300 shaft with 75gr of brass pushing arrow weight closer to 500gr?

Bow specs- Triax 28.5dl draw weight was at 65lb but turned it up a turn on both limbs.

Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by QACZ71 View Post

Ordering new arrows and want to balance speed and weight. Currently shooting 27” 6mm Axis 340 with 50gr of brass roughly 460gr with a lighted nock on the back. Tried going to 75gr extra up front but it caused erratic arrow flight. Want an arrow that can pull double duty for hunting and 3D.
        Have been really happy with the 6mm Axis arrows so was probably going to stick with them, but wanted to see if I there would be considerable difference going to a 300 shaft with 75gr of brass pushing arrow weight closer to 500gr?

Bow specs- Triax 28.5dl draw weight was at 65lb but turned it up a turn on both limbs.

Thanks in advance
        The best thing todo is see if you can get your hands on just a couple of 300 spine arrows and test. But if you added weight and The 340 went bad then yes you will see the difference going to a 300.

Comment

I’ve got my arrow weight figured up around 415 grains, shooting just over 70# on a Halon at 29.5DL and shot 301 FPS through a chrono.

Does that sound reasonably correct?

Comment

Originally posted by QACZ71 View Post

Thanks in advance

I’ve got a few 300 spine Full Metal Jackets you can have to play around with. If you interested just pm me.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
              The best thing todo is see if you can get your hands on just a couple of 300 spine arrows and test. But if you added weight and The 340 went bad then yes you will see the difference going to a 300.
              It was ok through paper but was oscillating in flight. Didn’t know if some other had some similar “demands” and had better luck with a heavier weight combo. Understand it’s not needed to kill foam but don’t want two sight tapes and arrows like to practice how I hunt as well.

Originally posted by Black-N-Red View Post
              I’ve got a few 300 spine Full Metal Jackets you can have to play around with. If you interested just pm me.
              PM sent thank you!

Comment

I ended up staying with the 125 grain head and it performed flawlessly. Shot my elk at 43 yards and had complete pass through and not sure where the arrow ended up as I never found it. I ended up placing a second shot with the elk facing me at 20 yards and the arrow went almost through the entire elk, stopping in his rear quarter.

Very happy with my arrow set up, maybe will be putting it to work on a moose this time next year.

I used Iron Will broad heads.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                  I ended up staying with the 125 grain head and it performed flawlessly. Shot my elk at 43 yards and had complete pass through and not sure where the arrow ended up as I never found it. I ended up placing a second shot with the elk facing me at 20 yards and the arrow went almost through the entire elk, stopping in his rear quarter.

Very happy with my arrow set up, maybe will be putting it to work on a moose this time next year.

I used Iron Will broad heads.
                  Congrats on the kill

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                    You guys know way more about this than me but I do a lot of spot and stalk hunting where the animals are feeding along . Between ranging and taking the shot the animal could move 2 or 3 yards one way or the other.. I shoot 475 grain arrow . I have no intrest in shooting an arrow that 3 yards means a bad shot.. I shot an axis doe last week at 30 yards and my arrow busted when it hit the rock behind her..other than elephants or rhino why would you need 850 grains . Might as well build a spear and throw it at em.
                    Hear Hear

Just like in many other pursuits there is a balance in the pros and cons as is the case in light v heavy. We just need to find what works best for us and our hunting scenarios.

Relax fellas its 10 days till we can fling those arrows

Comment

Working...
                    X