2019-2020 Hill Country Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019-2020 Hill Country Hunting Thread

Now that the season has ended and turkey hunting is in full swing I figured it’d be a good time to start a new thread. Everyone in the Hill Country area please post updates and pictures from your hunting area, recaps from last season, rain reports, and anything else that pertains to hunting the hill country.

Our property is close to the Mason/Gillespie County line and is very very green right now. We have had less than 1.5” for the year, but we had an extremely wet fall like everyone else. If we don’t get good rain soon though I’m afraid we’ll start browning back up. The 2018 season was tough hunting conditions due to the drought and then the non-stop rain. We are geared up for a great antler year if we can just keep getting some moisture.

We are about 15 miles SW of San Saba near the Sloan community. Green green right now. Animals aren't hitting feeders much which is good. Plenty of natural forage. Had about a 1/3rdof an inch of rain this past weekend. Turkeys are almost nonexistent right now. Couple of hens on camera and only heard 1 gobble over several days out there.

Comment

Just got off a place in San Saba and on a couple thousand acres with very little hunting pressure in Doss. I’ve seen some GREAT deer out there but haven’t had the chance to hunt it until this year. I’m excited to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
        Just got off a place in San Saba and on a couple thousand acres with very little hunting pressure in Doss. I’ve seen some GREAT deer out there but haven’t had the chance to hunt it until this year. I’m excited to say the least.
        A couple thousand acres in Doss? That’s pretty rare! Glad you found a great place. We are just east of Doss in the Loyal Valley area. There are some great deer in pockets, especially shows when the deer get age.

Comment

I was lucky enough to shoot largest buck last year at 151". The deer just started to hit the protein feeders hard around Thursday but the little rain we got over the weekend should help quite a bit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
            A couple thousand acres in Doss? That’s pretty rare! Glad you found a great place. We are just east of Doss in the Loyal Valley area. There are some great deer in pockets, especially shows when the deer get age.
            It’s actually my girlfriends land. They’ve been telling me to hunt it for years, but I already had too many irons in the fire at the time so I just hunted with her 2-3 times a year. With me getting off of that place in SS, I have put all my focus in Doss. Hoping for a stellar year!

Comment

We're in Mason county. South of the town of Mason. We were down there opening weekend of turkey season and it was still pretty green. Hopefully the rain will continue and things will stay that way. Saw lots of deer. Hopefully it'll be a good year!!!

Comment

We completed a prescribed burn this February(or early March, I can’t remember) and it is greening up nicely from it. The army worms hammered our native grasses in this pasture last Fall and that hurt our fuel for the fire. Oh well, any prescribed fire is a good one in my book!

Some pictures showing regrowth from the burn.
                Attached Files

Comment

I am on the other side of y'all. The Kerr/Gillespie line. It is greening up and I have a few good Axis coming in 2x a day. My place is low fence. Next week looks like a good week for me to go sit a bit and choot'em!

Comment

In, for another year of Hill Country hunting. We are just North of London in Menard County. We were up on opening weekend of Turkey and the wife got this one before the front hit Saturday morning. I spent the rest of the weekend trying to get myself a bird but couldn't get it done with the wind blowing like that. Hopefully I will have better conditions when I make it back up to try again.
                    [IMG] coin flip gif[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                      We completed a prescribed burn this February(or early March, I can’t remember) and it is greening up nicely from it. The army worms hammered our native grasses in this pasture last Fall and that hurt our fuel for the fire. Oh well, any prescribed fire is a good one in my book!

Some pictures showing regrowth from the burn.
                      That looks great. Wish I could get some burn done.

Comment

Hey Puncher.
                        Maybe you could share some insight on prescribed burning on a separate thread?

Comment

Originally posted by lostbrd View Post
                          Hey Puncher.
                          Maybe you could share some insight on prescribed burning on a separate thread?
                          Absolutely! Let me see if I can link a thread. I just re-read it and I think it has a lot of good info in it. If there is something else you’d like to see or have questions about I’d be glad to cover it.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Man, we are right there with you on the rain,Puncher. Pinch over an inch thus far, but hoping this weekend starts a trend.

Still have a little bit of residual left over from fall and winter rains. Our creeks are running just enough to show that somebody is getting rain, just not us!

If we recover from the army worms we will have done something. We didn't burn, but we have been digging in on NRCS projects to reclaim some areas back from the cactus and white brush.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X