Understanding MRAD and MOA turret changes-Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understanding MRAD and MOA turret changes-Help needed

Okay; so I will tell you I’m not a super long range target shooter. I’ve hunted animals, and killed out to 700 yards, lots in the 500’s and some in the 600’s, but I’ve always been a Kentucky windage guy. I’m trying to change that. I’ve read just about everything I can, and my brain hurts. I know how to range with my scopes whether it be vortex, nightforce, leupold, trijicon (both 1/4 moa and mrad 1/10).

My biggest question which hardly no one addresses. How the heck do I take a drop and spin the turrets????

Example. I have ranged a target to 500 yards, and let’s say that bullet drop is 44”. How many clicks up would I have to move my turrets in moa or mrad? I know that mrad is 3.6 inches per mrad. So do I simply divide 44 by 3.6? What about MoA.

Please help! Keep this simple please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Change your thought process from inches of drop to the angular measurement. In other words, at 500 yards, I come up 2.0mil. However many inches that is is irrelevant as long as my 2.0mil hold is good. MIL over MOA any day as it is simple decimals

Comment

I'm not all that great at explaining it. And there are others here with tons more knowledge than myself. But this book is well worth the purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
        Change your thought process from inches of drop to the angular measurement. In other words, at 500 yards, I come up 2.0mil. However many inches that is is irrelevant as long as my 2.0mil hold is good. MIL over MOA any day as it is simple decimals

Okay I will gladly think this way if you can tell me how to get to that math that’s quick.

Comment

What are you using to tell you 44” drop at 500 yards? Most ballistic apps will crunch out a pretty accurate dope when fed correct parameters. You may just be concentrating on the inches of drop instead of more valuable information.

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
            Okay; so I will tell you I’m not a super long range target shooter. I’ve hunted animals, and killed out to 700 yards, lots in the 500’s and some in the 600’s, but I’ve always been a Kentucky windage guy. I’m trying to change that. I’ve read just about everything I can, and my brain hurts. I know how to range with my scopes whether it be vortex, nightforce, leupold, trijicon (both 1/4 moa and mrad 1/10).

My biggest question which hardly no one addresses. How the heck do I take a drop and spin the turrets????

Example. I have ranged a target to 500 yards, and let’s say that bullet drop is 44”. How many clicks up would I have to move my turrets in moa or mrad? I know that mrad is 3.6 inches per mrad. So do I simply divide 44 by 3.6? What about MoA.

Please help! Keep this simple please!

LOL!! Man, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I understand it once I'm reading it, but I don't do it enough to retain it and by golly I got to learn it all over again every time.

It's really not a difficult "equation" and its very easy to overthink. The key is studying it and retaining it. I'd tell ya what I know, but I'd have to go back and learn it again first!

Comment

I shoot my 6.5saum enough to know 300 is 0.8, 400 is 1.4, and 500 is 2.0 here in Texas. Past 500 or if I have time, I use applied ballistics app. I also have the G7 rangefinder that gives me a dial to call on the screen but I rely on applied ballistics mostly

Comment

What are you using to tell you 44” drop at 500 yards? Most ballistic apps will crunch out a pretty accurate dope when fed correct parameters. You may just be concentrating on the inches of drop instead of more valuable information.

I have a couple different ballistics calculators, I’m simply looking at a faster non computer aided means.

Comment

I shoot my 6.5saum enough to know 300 is 0.8, 400 is 1.4, and 500 is 2.0 here in Texas. Past 500 or if I have time, I use applied ballistics app. I also have the G7 rangefinder that gives me a dial to call on the screen but I rely on applied ballistics mostly

I shoot the 26 nosler which is close to your 6.5. 3150 speed, 143 eld-x bullets can’t recall the bc off hand, 200 yard zero

Comment

I have a couple different ballistics calculators, I’m simply looking at a faster non computer aided means.

If my memory serves me correct, 44" at 500 yard would be around 9 MOA. You know this because 5" at 500 yards is 1 MOA so 10 MOA would get you 50" of elevation change at 500 yards.

Comment

I shoot the 26 nosler which is close to your 6.5. 3150 speed, 143 eld-x bullets can’t recall the bc off hand, 200 yard zero

For speed, I would confirm dialed holds at 50 yard increments and tape dope card on your stock. Mean temperature of 70 degrees and elevation where you mostly hunt and all of your other parameters into solver.

Calculations are not as fast as ballistic solvers nowadays but with all due respect, your old way isn’t fast or effective as you’re here asking for clarifications

I’d be happy to plug everything into Applied Ballistics and make you a pdf dope card. PM me your info and email if you want.

Comment

This tells me you need to go shoot your gun at 50 yard increments confirm and right down your dope for each and then tape a range card to your stock. Only fast way to know based on your range finder what you need to hold unless you have them memorized.

But honestly it is about changing your perception and then just practicing. You get to the point where you don't even use inches any more every thing will be in MOA at least in my case when calling hits or making adjustments. Instead of thinking I need to give it 44" you start automatically thinking I need to hold 8 moa instead

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh also has a general rule when dealing with MOA at least to get your drop in inches you just need to know that at 100 yards 1 moa is 1" at 200 2" at 300 3" etc. This rule works all the way out to hunting ranges just fine. So at 500 yards 5 inches is one MOA. So to get 45 inches to moa at 500 you just divide by 5 so you get 9 moa. Another way to think of it is to get moa at whatever distance divide your range by 100. That is your inches per moa at that yardage.

Comment

For speed, I would confirm dialed holds at 50 yard increments and tape dope card on your stock. Mean temperature of 70 degrees and elevation where you mostly hunt and all of your other parameters into solver.

Calculations are not as fast as ballistic solvers nowadays but with all due respect, your old way isn’t fast or effective as you’re here asking for clarifications

I’d be happy to plug everything into Applied Ballistics and make you a pdf dope card. PM me your info and email if you want.

Okay, so take a look at this for me. 4.1mrad for 4” of drop, and only 16.4 mrad for 29” of drop? This doesn’t look right.

Comment

Okay, so take a look at this for me. 4.1mrad for 4” of drop, and only 16.4 mrad for 29” of drop? This doesn’t look right.

That looks right you have to remember that each measurement scales up the further out you go so it takes less clicks or adjustments to make more movement. So one moa at 1000 is moving your bullet 10" but at 100 it is only moving it an inch. So same goes for mrad 1 mil at 100 is only 3.6" but at 1000 it is 36" of movement. Or whatever the commy measuring system is in inches.

Comment

Working...
                              X