Need saltwater fly line advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need saltwater fly line advice

We have a trip booked to fly fish for reds in October in the Rockport area. I have 8 wt and 9 wt rods I plan to bring. Are these okay or should I also bring a 6 wt to be more sporting?

My mainer question is which fly lines should I spool up? I have bought some over the last few years on various clearance sales but don't know which ones I should use.

Here is what I have:

1.) Scientific Anglers Expert Distance 105ft WF9F also in WF8F

2.) AirFlo Sniper Tropical Bonefish/Permit 120ft WF9F

3.) Scientific Anglers AirCel 85ft WF9F also WF8F

4.) Scientific Anglers Supra Saltwater WF8F (what is different about a saltwater line?

5.) Also, several 9wt sinking lines which I assume I don't need.

Any other specialized line for redfish in the shallows or will the above be okay?

What kind/size of flies?

From what I've read, the saltwater and freshwater tapers are different. Also, you should not use freshwater line in saltwater on hot days. The line gets too limp and becomes unusable.

You should ask your guide about the flies.

Comment

I use Rio Redfish.

Comment

Any of your WF lines are fine for reds, in FL we used deceivers, minnow imitations, shrimp imitations on size 1/0 or 2/0 hooks depending on the water depth you are fishing. Make sure the hooks are sharp.

Used bright orange or bright pink and white for colors on the flies with some mylar on the sides, made them easier for the angler to see, so the presentation could be adjusted for the fish. Have never seen reds be picky about color, presentation yes but color no.

We were sight fishing only in FL bay but the same flies are good for blind casting too. Trout, snook, tarpon, ladyfish, jacks, sharks, mangroves will all hit the same flies.

Using the above have caught hundreds and hundreds of reds on fly.

Tightlines!!

Comment

“Tropical” saltwater lines are usually built to withstand the heat better. Freshwater lines are usually made for more moderate or cold water, unless it is a warm water freshwater line. Lines not made for hot/warm water will get mushy and sticky and become more difficult to cast. Also, saltwater floating lines are usually thinner and do not float as well in freshwater.

8 weight is the gold standard. 6weight is fun, but can make casting with wind a little less fun.

I don’t have any experience with the lines you listed. My personal favorites for redfish here in Texas are Wulff Bermuda Triangle and SA warm water redfish.

The main thing is Don’t overthink the equipment side of it, just go and have fun. I’ve never been on a trip and thought “man I wish I had a different line/rod”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

8wt, rio redfish here. Small spoons and crab imitations

Comment

I use Scientific Angler Mastery Redfish warm water 8wt

Comment

Darnittoheck. Looks like I need to spend some more money on line!

Thanks.

Comment

Randy, I have a RIO Tropical OutBound Short Saltwater line for my 8wt. It worked great for me at South Padre on reds. Super slick and a great taper to turn over a bulky crab fly in the wind.

Comment

Thanks, Shane. I will check that line out.

Comment

I like the rio mainstream saltwater, about $40. I have lines that cost a lot more that imo don't cast any better. I'd take the 6wt also.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
                        From what I've read, the saltwater and freshwater tapers are different. Also, you should not use freshwater line in saltwater on hot days. The line gets too limp and becomes unusable.

You should ask your guide about the flies.
                        Ah! Now I understand.

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
                        I use Rio Redfish.

Originally posted by Gladesgator View Post
                        Any of your WF lines are fine for reds, in FL we used deceivers, minnow imitations, shrimp imitations on size 1/0 or 2/0 hooks depending on the water depth you are fishing. Make sure the hooks are sharp.

Used bright orange or bright pink and white for colors on the flies with some mylar on the sides, made them easier for the angler to see, so the presentation could be adjusted for the fish. Have never seen reds be picky about color, presentation yes but color no.

We were sight fishing only in FL bay but the same flies are good for blind casting too. Trout, snook, tarpon, ladyfish, jacks, sharks, mangroves will all hit the same flies.

Using the above have caught hundreds and hundreds of reds on fly.

Tightlines!!

Good info. Thanks!

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                        “Tropical” saltwater lines are usually built to withstand the heat better. Freshwater lines are usually made for more moderate or cold water, unless it is a warm water freshwater line. Lines not made for hot/warm water will get mushy and sticky and become more difficult to cast. Also, saltwater floating lines are usually thinner and do not float as well in freshwater.

8 weight is the gold standard. 6weight is fun, but can make casting with wind a little less fun.

I don’t have any experience with the lines you listed. My personal favorites for redfish here in Texas are Wulff Bermuda Triangle and SA warm water redfish.

The main thing is Don’t overthink the equipment side of it, just go and have fun. I’ve never been on a trip and thought “man I wish I had a different line/rod”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Thanks!

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                        8wt, rio redfish here. Small spoons and crab imitations
                        Thanks.

Originally posted by MillsJake View Post
                        I use Scientific Angler Mastery Redfish warm water 8wt
                        Thanks for the tip.

Comment

I use the Rio Bonefish WF 8# on my TFO for reds with no issues at all...

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                            I use the Rio Bonefish WF 8# on my TFO for reds with no issues at all...
                            Thanks! I'm thinking my Tropical Bonefish/permit line will work.

Is there an advantage with the 120 ft line vs 85-90 ft line when fishing for reds? Is there a need for longer casts?
                            Last edited by Burnadell; 08-13-2018, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                              Thanks! I'm thinking my Tropical Bonefish/permit line will work.

Is there an advantage with the 120 ft line vs 58-90 ft line when fishing for reds? Is there a need for longer casts?
                              That line will do fine.

There is really no advantage to a 120 ft line for fishing that I can think of. Most of your shots will probably be close. You'd be surprised at the amount of the people you see posting pictures of fish they catch all over the world that cannot consistently present to fish at 60 ft. There are very few people who can do it at 100-120.

Comment

Working...
                              X