No announcement yet.

keep heifers or buy cows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying bred cows at auction is buying something that somebody wants to get rid of. Why?

Comment

For this situation I would do both. Buy some good bred cows so you have emediate income. Keep your best heifers to replace any culls you buy. I Keep my best every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohawkman View Post
        For this situation I would do both. Buy some good bred cows so you have emediate income. Keep your best heifers to replace any culls you buy. I Keep my best every year.

We are selling off our herd. DONT go to Buffalo. Their vet dont know what he is doing. Our long bred cows were not palpated or were marked unbred when they obviously bred. Somebody got some dang good cows on the cheap.

Or in your case, go buy from the Buffalo auction. You might get bred cows for better prices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If I'm starting fresh in the cattle business what would be a good ratio number of head (cows heiffers) to go with?
          I have 80 acres but only 25 are used for hay production today.

I'm thinking of going with (Br)Angus to start with

And should I do registered?

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            Buying bred cows at auction is buying something that somebody wants to get rid of. Why?
            I wouldn’t go to a local sale barn to buy any, usually when a cow is the sale barn there is usually a reason they are selling her
            We’ve alway bought replacement cattle ( young bred cow or young cow/calf pair) from private sellers, like a seed stock ranch. A ranch that raises large number of cattle for smaller producers to buy in smaller numbers to get started or replace cattle that are too old to be productive
            You may pay slightly higher price but know what breeding and quality your getting

You might look on - cattle range - website has large and small herds all different ages and pairs
            for sale and you can search by region and breed to find something that might work for your need

Last edited by ReydonPete; 07-12-2018, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
              If I'm starting fresh in the cattle business what would be a good ratio number of head (cows heiffers) to go with?

0% heifers 100% cows, non registered....either way you’re probably not going to make money with that small of a herd. Not trying to be pessimistic, it’s just the reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
                0% heifers 100% cows, non registered....either way you’re probably not going to make money with that small of a herd. Not trying to be pessimistic, it’s just the reality.

Correct. We had 25 head on 100 acres for the last 6 years.
                It just cost too much to maintain a herd that small with the limited income they produce. We sold out and ended up in the hole for thousands. Only thing they were good for is Agg exemption

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                  We are selling off our herd. DONT go to Buffalo. Their vet dont know what he is doing. Our long bred cows were not palpated or were marked unbred when they obviously bred. Somebody got some dang good cows on the cheap.

Or in your case, go buy from the Buffalo auction. You might get bred cows for better prices

Did you tell the auction barn to pregnancy check your cattle? Also what age were they? I've seen people complain about what they get for their cattle but they don't tell the cow is 9 or 10 years old with a thin rear end. A few years back I had a 5 year old cow that got thin for whatever reason. I stuck her in a pen for a month with good worm medicine, syrup tub, and daily cattle cubes. Shoot a few months later I got top dollar for her. She was a slick looking cow. I should of kept her but I needed the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
                    Did you tell the auction barn to pregnancy check your cattle? Also what age were they? I've seen people complain about what they get for their cattle but they don't tell the cow is 9 or 10 years old with a thin rear end. A few years back I had a 5 year old cow that got thin for whatever reason. I stuck her in a pen for a month with good worm medicine, syrup tub, and daily cattle cubes. Shoot a few months later I got top dollar for her. She was a slick looking cow. I should of kept her but I needed the money.

Yes, we let them know to palpate every female in the trailer. We had several first time mommas and one older very healthy 6 year old. They were all plump and were with our bull for 100 days. They absolutely should have palpated.

The auction said sorry, their vet is dislexic and they had a hard time reading his numbers on the sheet. He didnt even check half of them according to the records. We got hosed. Big time

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post

Starting fresh I would buy bred cows out of a field from a reputable cattleman locally that you know well. Have them preg checked and if there all bread you won’t have to invest in a bull for several months.

Plenty of cows out there to be bought in groups of 20-50 head all synced up and palpated.

Just make sure you have some kind of history on them
                      Or you know the seller.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                        Yes, we let them know to palpate every female in the trailer. We had several first time mommas and one older very healthy 6 year old. They were all plump and were with our bull for 100 days. They absolutely should have palpated.

The auction said sorry, their vet is dislexic and they had a hard time reading his numbers on the sheet. He didnt even check half of them according to the records. We got hosed. Big time

You need to be in that auction bar owners face ASAP making sure he makes things right. What barn was it ? It’s some shady ones out there. Any chance you have photos of the catttle ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
                          You need to be in that auction bar owners face ASAP making sure he makes things right. What barn was it ? It’s some shady ones out there. Any chance you have photos of the catttle ?

Buffalo. As a matter of fact, they were the ones i had for sale in the classifieds. We never got any bites on them so dropped them at the auction.

Comment

Originally posted by Timemachine View Post
                            Are you going to offer day hunts?

(sorry....my bad)
                            Ha!

Comment

Working...
                            X