Catahoula needs home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cowman View Post
    not sure if Im asking this correctly but when you say "roam" i obviously understand what that means but will/does he come back. You stated that if you didn't live so close to a busy road you would let him "roam". We are in the country but not there typically overnight but have a barn and fencing, etc. Whats the chances of him staying around? we run cattle and are there typically everyday but there are days and nights we don't make it by. Hope Im asking my question in a clear manner.
    We live in a subdivision and honestly havent let him go long enough to see if he'd come back. I've just been jumping in the truck and get up next to him and open the door. He jumps right in. It's not like he hauls ***** and never looks back. Haha. He just puts his nose down and goes for a cruise. Im towards the front of the subdivison and probably less than a 1/4 miles from the main road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

not sure if Im asking this correctly but when you say "roam" i obviously understand what that means but will/does he come back. You stated that if you didn't live so close to a busy road you would let him "roam". We are in the country but not there typically overnight but have a barn and fencing, etc. Whats the chances of him staying around? we run cattle and are there typically everyday but there are days and nights we don't make it by. Hope Im asking my question in a clear manner.
      To answer your question, if he knows where food/water is and has plenty of space to run free, i bet he'd be fine. If i lived out on an old country road, i wouldnt worry about him. He listens well enough and responds. Only thing i can forsee is he's been an inside sleeper all his life.

Comment

Originally posted by txhellraiser View Post
        To answer your question, if he knows where food/water is and has plenty of space to run free, i bet he'd be fine. If i lived out on an old country road, i wouldnt worry about him. He listens well enough and responds. Only thing i can forsee is he's been an inside sleeper all his life.

Gotcha. He doesn't look like he has much working blood in him. lol

We've got plenty of water always available and food wouldn't be an issue. Im just worried he would run off the first night and not come back. in and around the Athens area so good amount of woods.

Comment

Gotcha. He doesn't look like he has much working blood in him. lol

We've got plenty of water always available and food wouldn't be an issue. Im just worried he would run off the first night and not come back. in and around the Athens area so good amount of woods.
          I honestly dont know how much previous owner did with him and i havent had a chance to take him out yet. Brother killed a pig about a week ago and we brought some hide over here. He's been playing with it the last 7 days or so.

Comment

I'll get my brother to chime in here in a bit. He worked with him the 2nd day we had him.

Comment

Originally posted by txhellraiser View Post
              I'll get my brother to chime in here in a bit. He worked with him the 2nd day we had him.

sounds good

Comment

As someone that has raised registered catahoulas since the 80's.....You really cannot let them run loose. They will just cause problems. They need to be confined or chained when they are not working. Most of the time if you let them run loose he just end up with neighbors that hate you and a dog that gets shot. Good luck on getting him placed.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                  As someone that has raised registered catahoulas since the 80's.....You really cannot let them run loose. They will just cause problems. They need to be confined or chained when they are not working. Most of the time if you let them run loose he just end up with neighbors that hate you and a dog that gets shot. Good luck on getting him placed.

-john
                  Good to know.

Comment

Brother here. I had this dog at the house for the day to see what his deal was. He’s ultra athletic, and well behaved. I leave my catahoula and Brittany loose and they never leave the yard, so I wanted to see what this guy would do off leash. First thing he did was make a big loop around the property then head up the road. As soon as I called him he came right back and laid down with the other dogs. He was pampered by previous owner (slept inside, allowed on couches etc.), this ultimately led to a little separation anxiety. Nothing major. He showed an interest in pig hide/scent, so the option to make a worker out of him is there. He’ll make somebody a great dog, working or otherwise.

Comment

Dogs belong outside

Comment

Working...
                      X