2018 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Man View Post
    I'm losing all my tomatoes to Mocking Birds. Just pecking holes through all of them. Gussing the only solution is some type of netting.. am i right? (not going to shoot a bunch of mockingbirds).
    Pick them when they first start to turn color, set 'em on your counter and they will ripen. I would much rather have vine ripe but never had any luck with that as birds/squirrels take a bunch. Netting is a bigger pain than it is worth in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
      I'm losing all my tomatoes to Mocking Birds. Just pecking holes through all of them. Gussing the only solution is some type of netting.. am i right? (not going to shoot a bunch of mockingbirds).
      Originally posted by Codypatt1 View Post
      Hang up red Christmas ornaments
      ^^This

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
        Apparently, I bought some kind of round zucchini. Grows great.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        You didn't buy those plants at Homer Depot by chance I have the same thing almost. Supposed to be zucchini
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
          You didn't buy those plants at Homer Depot by chance I have the same thing almost. Supposed to be zucchini

No sir. Natural gardener in Austin. ‘Ronde De Nice’ variety.

Comment

My daughter has been following the life of some swallowtail caterpillars that were munching on my dill plant one crawled off to the mint and chrysalised on there which she saw happen that was cool and it just hatched pretty quick after 10 days

Comment

Originally posted by Chipper View Post
              Pick them when they first start to turn color, set 'em on your counter and they will ripen. I would much rather have vine ripe but never had any luck with that as birds/squirrels take a bunch. Netting is a bigger pain than it is worth in my opinion.

Exactly what we do.

Comment

What are yall using for a compost set up?

Comment

This is what I do. Make a big U with bales of hay then fill it in. For me this is mostly horse manure with hay and wood chips then everything from the garden and house. I burned all the leftover firewood and put the ashes on the pile as well. The front is big enough that I can turn it with the front end loader . I'm way tired of turning compost piles by hand. Started this pile last winter. Will start using it this fall.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Chipper View Post
                    This is what we do. If I don't catch them in time they get destroyed

Comment

I got a late start but its slowing growing.

Start of a compost pile.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
                        What are yall using for a compost set up?
                        We have a set up that is kind of like a pyramid plastic container. The city of Fort Worth had them for 60% off a couple years ago. It works but get filled up relatively quick and is a little slow to cook. What we have taken out of there has been great though.

Comment

What is this? Butternut squash?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post

Looks like it!

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                              Is the grid to help keep the squash off the ground?

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
                                Is the grid to help keep the squash off the ground?
                                No, it's a square foot garden so I used 1x2 to divide my boxes into square feet.

Comment

Working...
                                X