2018 saltwater fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bassbuster View Post
    Live bait vs artificials. I'm heading to the landcut next weekend for The Weeknd. I'm have a hard time with deciding if I wanna mess with keeping shrimp or croakers alive. Or just those artificials the whole time. Help me decide please.
    Cant go wrong with croakers. I dont use them but they are great bail for both trout and reds. I use gold spoons if there is not much floating grass otherwise red and white cocohos. Im going down there Thursday and got a report from last week of low tides and hard to fish the hole.

Comment

Live bait vs artificials. I'm heading to the landcut next weekend for The Weeknd. I'm have a hard time with deciding if I wanna mess with keeping shrimp or croakers alive. Or just those artificials the whole time. Help me decide please.
      Guide friend of mine out of Corpus said the croaker are still really small. Might not be worth the hassle.

Comment

I fish lures...haven't used bait in the Laguna in a long time. To me it's the challenge, cover a lot of water casting and I learn a lot everytime. I do a lot of sight fishing though, fortunate to have some clear water for the most part, if I pay attention to conditions. At times, I'll stand on the poling platform and spot trout and redfish 20 - 30 yards away and casting from up there, you can cover a lot of water.

Casting to stalking specks in knee deep water, especially specks in the middle to upper 20s....which nearly are always solitary fish, makes those few moments come together, laying that cast right and watching the strike, is everything for me. And shallow water redfish jumping up on their tail to strike down on a topwater, halfway out of the water on strike, due to shallow water and their underslung mouth is cool beans too!

I need to start wearing my GoPro and just keep popping batteries in it as the day goes on. Jumped a pair of tarpon last summer casting lures in freshly carved out spoil island cut via Harvey. Thought I had some redfish boiling on bait in the shallows and just released a nice redfish prior to hooking these little baby tarpon. Lost them both but I don't think I would have had a single hookup using live bait in this setup? Just too much bait in the water - the lure forced them to trigger and attack. That's why I love casting lures. 3 jumps on the first tarpon and worked down to about 12ft from my bow...last jump, my lure comes flying back at me....bowed as much slack as I could but was way too short on line out (hot kite on a short string) to keep the hook buttoned. Counted my chickens before they hatched on that fish LOL!
        Last edited by AtTheWall; 04-23-2018, 10:20 PM.

Comment

We got a couple needlefish yesterday.
          Attached Files

Comment

Drove down to the Valley and took one of my nephews out for a wade yesterday. Hit a little spot South of Port Mansfield. Tons of trout on the drop off during low tides. Chunked white / pink Gulp at them. Took us about an hour to fill up the stringer.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	RICHFISH.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	24538424

Comment

Originally posted by hog smacker View Post

Comment

Six total tuna. Biggest in front was over 120lbs
                Venice La on the 24th

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by natvet View Post
                  Six total tuna. Biggest in front was over 120lbs
                  Venice La on the 24th

Nice
                  Who’d y’all go with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice deal

Originally posted by PBUCKSHOT View Post
                    Drove down to the Valley and took one of my nephews out for a wade yesterday. Hit a little spot South of Port Mansfield. Tons of trout on the drop off during low tides. Chunked white / pink Gulp at them. Took us about an hour to fill up the stringer.
                    [ATTACH]906032[/ATTACH]
                    Great fish!!! going to try my luck on Friday ,also @ mansfield

Comment

Originally posted by hog smacker View Post

Those sure are fat needlefish!!!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Killer; 04-26-2018, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ace340cs View Post
                        Great fish!!! going to try my luck on Friday ,also @ mansfield
                        Bunch of reds by Green Island. Insane!

Comment

I'm wanting to take my son down to the coast Memorial day weekend and camp on the beach, do some shore fishing, and some fishing from the kayaks out past the big waves. What are some good areas to look at for this? Anyone wanna try to meet up? It'll be our first time to try this, and I'm wanting to learn!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
                            Nice
                            Who’d y’all go with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Billy from Mexican gulf

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                              Offshore Amberjack trip set for the opener in May. Red Snapper opener good on 1 June. Gonna be a ton of offshore trips this season!
                              Yall need a couple of guys to fill in again for snapper trips or whatever, let me know. Had a great time with yall year before last. Ready to get back out there!

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                                Yall need a couple of guys to fill in again for snapper trips or whatever, let me know. Had a great time with yall year before last. Ready to get back out there!
                                x2!

Comment

Working...
                                X