Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring Food Plot....Getting it ready to plant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
    Nice plots Radar! I love reading QDMA too

Just got my soil sample back. Soil looks good like I thought. Needs some Phosphorous love and a lil Nitrogen and I'll be good. Gonna plan to start working on 1.5 acre plot in the next couple weeks when the weather makes up its mind that it's gonna stay warm. Plan on a Spring Mix either Powerplant and I/C Peas or I/C Peas with some local beans from co-op, etc.

Current plot look green and lush with rye grain and clover. Gonna just till under to add green manure, spread fertilizer and seed, and then drag over to cover an inch or so...

Does this look like I need ~90# Nitrogen and ~160# or so of Phosphorous? (for 1.5 acre). What's best mix of fertilizer to look for that isn't high on K but good on N and P?
    Your fertilizer requirements should be on the bottom of your soil test results. Your PH is great ! Good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
      Nice plots Radar! I love reading QDMA too

Just got my soil sample back. Soil looks good like I thought. Needs some Phosphorous love and a lil Nitrogen and I'll be good. Gonna plan to start working on 1.5 acre plot in the next couple weeks when the weather makes up its mind that it's gonna stay warm. Plan on a Spring Mix either Powerplant and I/C Peas or I/C Peas with some local beans from co-op, etc.

Current plot look green and lush with rye grain and clover. Gonna just till under to add green manure, spread fertilizer and seed, and then drag over to cover an inch or so...

Does this look like I need ~90# Nitrogen and ~160# or so of Phosphorous? (for 1.5 acre). What's best mix of fertilizer to look for that isn't high on K but good on N and P?
      If you know a ag fertilizer place near you, you can take that report with you and they will make the blend required. The cost will be much cheaper than buying a 50 bag of a general mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
        If you know a ag fertilizer place near you, you can take that report with you and they will make the blend required. The cost will be much cheaper than buying a 50 bag of a general mix.
        Yep I thought about that. Makes more sense for sure. Thanks

Comment

Can someone plant my plot for me? Im stuck at work, on nights, for at least 3 more weeks.

Comment

Plot experts, what do you think is best for a future plot and the soil:

1. spraying and killing my winter plot and grain drilling into it

or

2. disking under the winter plot under and grain drilling into that.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
              Plot experts, what do you think is best for a future plot and the soil:

1. spraying and killing my winter plot and grain drilling into it

or

2. disking under the winter plot under and grain drilling into that.
              Whats in your winter plot?

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                Whats in your winter plot?
                Wheat, Austrian Peas, Oats, and I think Elbon rye

I shredded it down once a few weeks ago. Wheat oats and peas is mostly what it is

Comment

If your planter can cut thru it might try spraying then drilling

Comment

If it will work, there would be way less weed problems theoretically. If grain drills were $500 I'd buy one. I wish I had been born rich instead of so damm good looking...

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                      If it will work, there would be way less weed problems theoretically. If grain drills were $500 I'd buy one. I wish I had been born rich instead of so damm good looking...
                      Yes I think the grain drill will work fine. I shredded the plot and some of it died. Ideally I like the idea of building up organic matter.

I think I will spray the plot and grain drill.

And on my dove plot I will disk it up.

Thanks guys

Comment

Got peas sprouting up
                        Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Got Dewberries
                          Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:54 PM.

Comment

I’m glad I held off on planting. We had snow this morning and mid 20s for lows this weekend. Would have been for naught.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                              [ATTACH]903702[/ATTACH]

Got Dewberries
                              Dang. You are well ahead of us. Where is Wilson county?

Comment

Dang. You are well ahead of us. Where is Wilson county?
                                Rusty, he's S of San Antonio. Too wet to plow on most of my plots. I poured out 3" this morning at Mt. Enterprise and that was all from last night. It's 46* here now, and I probably won't even start spraying gly for another couple weeks.

I need to hit two clover plots with Cleth but both are too wet for a tractor. I could have sprayed with my Ranger last week but I thought I had other things I'd rather do
                                Last edited by Drycreek3189; 04-07-2018, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X