Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally Booked a Yellowstone & Grand Tetons Trip!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally Booked a Yellowstone & Grand Tetons Trip!

Posting this in the photography forum since I plan on taking A LOT of pictures on this trip. I'm hoping some of the awesome green screen photographers can help me out with planning, locations, gear recommendations etc. Below are some details of the trip:

Trip dates: 09/08 - 09/16

- Flying into Salt Lake City and grabbing an SUV rental
    - Driving to Jackson, WY and staying there one night
    - Two nights in Coulter Bay Village in Grand Teton NP
    - 4 nights in West Yellowstone
    - Last night is back in Salt Lake

Hoping to time it right with some elk rutting action and possibly some fall colors in the trees as well. Camera gear I'm planning on bringing:

- Canon 5D Mark III
    - Canon 16-35mm f4
    - Canon 70-200mm f2.8 ISII
    - Canon 50mm f1.8
    - Last but not least Sigma 150-600mm Sport
    - Tripod
    - Lowepro 45L pack

So, has anyone been there around this time of the year? Any places that are "must see" hidden gems? Places to avoid? Tips, tricks, dos & don'ts?

I've got about 6 months to figure it all out...

Yes sir! Best trip I ever made. I booked my trip there a couple of years ago around that time and saw several bison (after your first few you will get tired of seeing them), elk in full rut, mule deer playing around, waterfalls, etc. Best trip I've ever had. There are a lot of tourist there (bus loads). We went to the Teton's one full day but was so foggy that we didn't see much there. I wished we could have stayed longer to see some of the Moose in the Tetons. I will be booking it again in the near future Lord willing. Went to Estes Park last year and going to Glacier NP this year. Here are a few pictures from the trip. A few of these pictures were taken in Yellowstone and some in Estes but saw several Elk at both. The grizzly was in Yellowstone. Have your long lens on all the time and take a tripod with you. Also, if you have another camera to put another lens on then I suggest that also. Keep large lens on a camera. The animals are there and gone before you know it sometimes. Unfortunately my external hard drive crashed and this is about all I was able to save so I am going to have to go again. Anyway, check out a few of the pictures I was able to capture while there. https://jeffhutto.smugmug.com/ Oh and start getting in shape if you're not already. Also, if you get some time go around to quake lake. You might see some mountain goats. Be sure to take a great pair of binoculars with you. There is a lot of hiking to be done
    Last edited by jdma; 03-25-2018, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jdma View Post
      Yes sir! Best trip I ever made. I booked my trip there a couple of years ago around that time and saw several bison (after your first few you will get tired of seeing them), elk in full rut, mule deer playing around, waterfalls, etc. Best trip I've ever had. There are a lot of tourist there (bus loads). We went to the Teton's one full day but was so foggy that we didn't see much there. I wished we could have stayed longer to see some of the Moose in the Tetons. I will be booking it again in the near future Lord willing. Went to Estes Park last year and going to Glacier NP this year. Here are a few pictures from the trip. A few of these pictures were taken in Yellowstone and some in Estes but saw several Elk at both. The grizzly was in Yellowstone. Have your long lens on all the time and take a tripod with you. Also, if you have another camera to put another lens on then I suggest that also. Keep large lens on a camera. The animals are there and gone before you know it sometimes. Unfortunately my external hard drive crashed and this is about all I was able to save so I am going to have to go again. Anyway, check out a few of the pictures I was able to capture while there. https://jeffhutto.smugmug.com/ Oh and start getting in shape if you're not already. Also, if you get some time go around to quake lake. You might see some mountain goats. Be sure to take a great pair of binoculars with you. There is a lot of hiking to be done
      Thanks for the info! You have some fantastic shots on your site. Out of curiosity, how close were you to that bear? I've never been around bears before, so I am doing some research in that area. Most things I've seen indicate that 100 yards is about as close as you want to get.

Comment

Originally posted by ATX Tyler View Post
        Thanks for the info! You have some fantastic shots on your site. Out of curiosity, how close were you to that bear? I've never been around bears before, so I am doing some research in that area. Most things seen indicate that 100 yards is about as close as you want to get.
        We were probably around 50 yards or so. Yes the staff at Yellowstone will keep you further away but there were so many people there I felt safe where I was. However, if the Park Rangers would have been there we would not have gotten quite that close. Look around really good while driving around but where you see a crowd there is something there. Be sure to keep your large lens on your tripod and have it ready to get out while driving around. It was a trip to remember for sure. We never ventured off on our own. We usually had plenty of people around. Such beauty there and you are going at a really great time in my opinion. As mentioned before. I book all my trips up that way in September.

Comment

My opinion which is worth absolutely nothing I would split the time evenly between the grand tetons and Yellowstone evenly. We liked the tetons / Jackson better than Yellowstone. Also, if you get a chance venture out of north Yellowstone into Montana a little.

Comment

Great info, thanks! Looks like you guys had a heck of a time. Any recommendations on places to stop by north of Yellowstone in MT? Or is it best to simply see where the road leads and not plan it?

Comment

Be sure to make it over to Lamar Valley. Lots of animals over there. Late evenings early mornings are the best obviously for photographing but also the wildlife were really moving at that time of day. Like I mentioned before once you see your first few bison you will want to stop and see them but believe me they are everywhere. We were there 7 full days in yellowstone and didn't get to see everything. Best trip ever but Estes Park has been a close second. Glacier is next. September is the time to hit these parks and you are going to love it. Don't forget plenty of memory cards and batteries

Comment

Originally posted by jdma View Post
                Be sure to make it over to Lamar Valley. Lots of animals over there. Late evenings early mornings are the best obviously for photographing but also the wildlife were really moving at that time of day. Like I mentioned before once you see your first few bison you will want to stop and see them but believe me they are everywhere. We were there 7 full days in yellowstone and didn't get to see everything. Best trip ever but Estes Park has been a close second. Glacier is next. September is the time to hit these parks and you are going to love it. Don't forget plenty of memory cards and batteries
                This ^^^

To me, being from Texas this place was like another planet. Unforgettable.

Comment

Thanks y'all! Lamar Valley is definitely on the list in the mornings and evenings for a day or so. Do y'all think it's better to drive around in the early morning and evenings or to find places to hike or setup for animals to pass thru?

Comment

Have a great time sounds like a trip of a lifetime

Comment

Originally posted by ATX Tyler View Post
                      Thanks y'all! Lamar Valley is definitely on the list in the mornings and evenings for a day or so. Do y'all think it's better to drive around in the early morning and evenings or to find places to hike or setup for animals to pass thru?
                      Drive around. You do want to be able to take your time though.

Don't forget quake lake if you are staying in West Yellowstone.

Last edited by jdma; 03-31-2018, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Markobowlom View Post
                        Have a great time sounds like a trip of a lifetime
                        It is a trip of a lifetime. I highly recommend it

Comment

always wanted to go

Comment

Working...
                          X