Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #151
bukkskin
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoAB View Post
Stud!!! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X2, he is a beaut!!!!
bukkskin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 09:40 PM   #152
MexHunter7STW
Spike

Hunt In: Nuevo León, Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Calavera View Post
Diesel trucks are now allowed to get permits as long as they are not modified. No flatbeds only 3/4 and 1 ton trucks either duallies or single tire as long as they have regular beds and interiors.
Are you sure about this? I got reflected for a permit on my Ford F-250 (gross weight 7300#) back in February of this year.
MexHunter7STW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 09:44 PM   #153
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1986 View Post
My friends buck from this season. This deer just appeared in January. 179 4/8. Low fence, no protein. Close to Villa Union.
Awesome! What a stud!
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 10:16 PM   #154
Old Blue
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mexico,

He looks great Darren congrats to him again.
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 12:18 AM   #155
La Calavera
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexHunter7STW View Post
Are you sure about this? I got reflected for a permit on my Ford F-250 (gross weight 7300#) back in February of this year.
Yes, they just have to verify that it has not been modified. Remind me a few weeks before you come to permit your truck and I will check to see if there’s some type of memo that they have sent to us. Meat will not be a problem anymore.
La Calavera is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 12:18 AM   #156
La Calavera
Six Point

Great looking bucks
Old 03-21-2018, 12:21 AM   #157
La Calavera
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexHunter7STW View Post
Ask your landowner to check with Angadi about the trucks and if they give you problems again call Angadi.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:28 AM   #158
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

So what's the story on getting capes out of Old Mexico.. Legal or no? I'm hearing conflicting stories.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 12:35 AM   #159
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
So what's the story on getting capes out of Old Mexico.. Legal or no? I'm hearing conflicting stories.
You can bring them out. They have to be froze 48hrs. Thawed back out for inspection. If they find any tic you have to return them to Mexico yourself to dispose of it.

On the flip side. They look for every reason to reject them at all times. They rejected one on me for a scab. That they claimed was to hard to determine rather it was not a 100% a tic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Mex. Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 12:38 AM   #160
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
You can bring them out. They have to be froze 48hrs. Thawed back out for inspection. If they find any tic you have to return them to Mexico yourself to dispose of it.

On the flip side. They look for every reason to reject them at all times. They rejected one on me for a scab. That they claimed was to hard to determine rather it was not a 100% a tic

And is this a USDA veterinarian doing this state side?
Old 03-21-2018, 12:39 AM   #161
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
And is this a USDA veterinarian doing this state side?
No. Fish and Game normally or the person put in charge at the border if Fish and Game is not able to get there

Old 03-21-2018, 12:44 AM   #162
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO

Basically it’s not worth the headache
drop dead fred is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 12:48 AM   #163
La Calavera
Six Point

Quote:
Better be clean if not US customs will send you back with it to Mexico.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:52 AM   #164
La Calavera
Six Point

I keep them for a taxidermist in Mexico and he tans them in Mexico then crosses them to the US and mounts them. Had a tanned hide rejected because it had a piece of a tick or flea. Made him go back to Mexico and clean it then he checked it again and let him through.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:01 AM   #165
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
Basically it’s not worth the headache
It would be to me.. It makes me sick to think of all of those beautiful capes going to the gut pile..

Those giant head, black faced, big eared, huge neck capes are very hard to replace... They are just different.. They bring top dollar in the taxidermy industry.. I would tan them over there , at the ranch, and then wire brush and pressure wash them..
Old 03-21-2018, 01:02 AM   #166
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
I keep them for a taxidermist in Mexico and he tans them in Mexico then crosses them to the US and mounts them. Had a tanned hide rejected because it had a piece of a tick or flea. Made him go back to Mexico and clean it then he checked it again and let him through.
Im sorry but that's just ridiculous...
Old 03-21-2018, 01:14 AM   #167
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Quote:
It would be to me.. It makes me sick to think of all of those beautiful capes going to the gut pile..

Those giant head, black faced, big eared, huge neck capes are very hard to replace... They are just different.. They bring top dollar in the taxidermy industry.. I would tan them over there , at the ranch, and then wire brush and pressure wash them..
I’m not spending that kind of effort on a cape to have them send me back for a scab. Had a guy on our lease spend 13 hrs on one to have him sent back and throw it away. NOPE
Old 03-21-2018, 01:26 AM   #168
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
I’m not spending that kind of effort on a cape to have them send me back for a scab. Had a guy on our lease spend 13 hrs on one to have him sent back and throw it away. NOPE
WOW.. I guess its a good thing those deer don't ever swim the river...
Old 03-21-2018, 01:27 AM   #169
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Quote:
They’re law abiding citizens
Old 03-21-2018, 08:24 AM   #170
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
They always swim right back once they realize they're unable to communicate with each other
Old 03-21-2018, 09:46 AM   #171
elgato
Ten Point

Oh buddy, can I tell stories about getting capes across. What a pain !!!!! I had some rejected 3 times this year. Once because the BP didn't know the rules so he just sent them back. We clean them, dip them, tan them comb them reinspect them pray over them use smudge sticks to bless them...in the end it boils down to who you get at the border. Had a guy use a microscope this year.

We did finally get all our capes across using an outfitter. Took him two tries. It's the worst part of hunting Mexico IMO. Fascinating as you can have a dog in the truck with no problem. Of course dogs don't have ticks.
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 10:07 AM   #172
walker1983
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shackelford Co, Parker Co, Mexico

Quote:
Yes, they just have to verify that it has not been modified. Remind me a few weeks before you come to permit your truck and I will check to see if there’s some type of memo that they have sent to us. Meat will not be a problem anymore.
Has Mexico customs made some change to allowing raw meat to cross into MX? that would be a welcome change.
walker1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 10:13 AM   #173
RanchoAB
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1983 View Post
Has Mexico customs made some change to allowing raw meat to cross into MX? that would be a welcome change.

Yes sir, they have agreed to be far more lenient and have less restrictions. However, those that have hunted Mexico for a long time know that it all depends on who you get at the bridge. The best advice is dont bring in excessive amounts of anything that will draw attention. If it looks like it’s just an amount for normal consumption, you should no longer have any issues. Colombia was great to us the last couple weeks of season and Laredo was a nightmare.

RanchoAB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #174
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

I will say this if you see a pudgy guy with a goatee and wearing baseball batting gloves DO NOT i repeat DO NOT get in his lane coming back into the us at PN! He tagged every car and inspected them himself to only be tagged an sentro be inspected again. While the lanes on both sides were just banging them out! Longest I’ve ever waited in a line i have him etched in my skull now!
Old 03-21-2018, 03:21 PM   #175
La Calavera
Six Point

[QUOTE=walker1983;13263677]Has Mexico customs made some change to allowing raw meat to cross into MX? that would be a welcome

It was the equivalent to the FDA that was confiscating meat and I doubts they’ll be at the bridges again because the are making an exception for American hunters to be allowed to bring 5kgs of beef, 2 kgs of chicken, fish, and Pork per person. I’ll try to find exactly what they told us you can bring.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #176
walker1983
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shackelford Co, Parker Co, Mexico

[quote=La Calavera;13264453]
Quote:
Has Mexico customs made some change to allowing raw meat to cross into MX? that would be a welcome

It was the equivalent to the FDA that was confiscating meat and I doubts they’ll be at the bridges again because the are making an exception for American hunters to be allowed to bring 5kgs of beef, 2 kgs of chicken, fish, and Pork per person. I’ll try to find exactly what they told us you can bring.
That's great information. Especially since we no longer drive by a grocery store heading to the lease.

Now with all the ticks/hides issues, I am wondering if I can find a good taxidermist who will meet us @ Columbia on the way out, have our deer mounted in MX- and shipped to the US.
walker1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 05:14 PM   #177
Hunt24/7Hard
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas/Mexico/Kansas

[quote=walker1983;13264718]
Quote:

That's great information. Especially since we no longer drive by a grocery store heading to the lease.

Now with all the ticks/hides issues, I am wondering if I can find a good taxidermist who will meet us @ Columbia on the way out, have our deer mounted in MX- and shipped to the US.

Yes there is.

I meet a guy from Anahuac on Hwy to drop our capes off.. they mount the deer either there or in Laredo.
12 pt taxidermy. They do a stand up job and are great people to deal with.
PM me and I will get you their number.

Hunt24/7Hard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 05:26 PM   #178
dc1986
Pope & Young

Quote:
Has Mexico customs made some change to allowing raw meat to cross into MX? that would be a welcome

This is great news! I always just put it in the very bottom of the cooler and fill it with ice to the top. Is there any way to get the new rules in writing? You never know who you will get when crossing.
dc1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 06:46 PM   #179
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:

Thanks for the update Bernardo! Let us know the specifics when you can.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:01 PM   #180
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Quote:
Ive tried to explain to a few hunting friends about how many arrow heads there are over there and by their looks on their faces I can't tell they think I'm BS'ing them.. I filled a BIG coffee can completely full in 2.5-3 hours one day while on a big flat on high bluff overlooking the river.. Most where busted. It must have been a foundry.. You couldn't hardly step without stepping on a busted piece of flint..
It gave me goose bumps walking around up there just trying to imagine what Indians, how many and how long they had used that bluff... It was wild.
That is pretty wild, we found ours on a big flat overlooking a dry river bed, I never looked for them before and I found several, most were broken pieces but we did find a couple dozen heads, can't wait to go look for more, great way to pass the time between hunts.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 08:05 PM   #181
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

[quote=Hunt24/7Hard;13264728]
Quote:

Yes there is.

I meet a guy from Anahuac on Hwy to drop our capes off.. they mount the deer either there or in Laredo.

But what if they found a dead tick, on your mounted deer, that has a tanned cape on it??? If they are refusing tanned capes, with a scab or 2 on them what is the difference?? Its still a tanned cape..

This entire "Tick drama" is just ridiculous.. Freezing a cape solid for 2-3 days kill every tick, bug and parasite...... Putting a cape in an acidic pickle with a PH of 2 or less and a salt concentration of 40 percent(part of the tanning process)for 4-5 days kills every form of a bug or bacteria... Its completely sterile at this point.......

I'm going to make a phone call to a USDA veterinarian about this.. They are the ones who control this.. It sounds like some hunter harassment may be taking place to me.. They may not know about it..
Old 03-21-2018, 08:21 PM   #182
La Calavera
Six Point

This is just a write up that they sent to us to see if we thought it was fair:

comestibles empaquetados de origen por las tiendas de autoconsumo, cerrados y sin escurrimientos

Carne de res cruda, cosida o seca en cualquier presentación: Consumo personal de 5 kilogramos por cazador.
Carne de cerdo cruda, cosida o embutido en cualquier presentación: Consumo personal de 2 kilogramos por cazador.
Carne de aves pollo, pavo cruda, cosida o embutido en cualquier presentación: Consumo personal de 2 kilogramos por cazador
Pascado fresco en cualquier presentación (entero, fileteado o en trozo), congelado o enhielado. Consumo personal de 1 kilogramos por cazador

Embutidos de res, puerco, aves

Quesos frescos o deshidratados en cualquier presentación: Consumo personal 1 kilogramos por cazador
Mantequilla Consumo personal .5 kilogramos por cazador
Cremas Consumo personal .5 kilogramos por cazador
Vegetales, frutas, café, semillas, harinas y cereales con los requisitos y cantidades actualmente autorizadas.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:23 PM   #183
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by la calavera View Post
this is just a write up that they sent to us to see if we thought it was fair:

Comestibles empaquetados de origen por las tiendas de autoconsumo, cerrados y sin escurrimientos

carne de res cruda, cosida o seca en cualquier presentación: Consumo personal de 5 kilogramos por cazador.
Carne de cerdo cruda, cosida o embutido en cualquier presentación: Consumo personal de 2 kilogramos por cazador.
Carne de aves pollo, pavo cruda, cosida o embutido en cualquier presentación: Consumo personal de 2 kilogramos por cazador
pascado fresco en cualquier presentación (entero, fileteado o en trozo), congelado o enhielado. Consumo personal de 1 kilogramos por cazador

embutidos de res, puerco, aves

quesos frescos o deshidratados en cualquier presentación: Consumo personal 1 kilogramos por cazador
mantequilla consumo personal .5 kilogramos por cazador
cremas consumo personal .5 kilogramos por cazador
vegetales, frutas, café, semillas, harinas y cereales con los requisitos y cantidades actualmente autorizadas.
uuuuhh....
Old 03-21-2018, 08:23 PM   #184
La Calavera
Six Point

I’ll send the original when we get it, but in the mean time comunícate with Angadi if they want to confiscate your food.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:30 PM   #185
La Calavera
Six Point

Quote:
uuuuhh....
Print it and take it with you, it shows the quantities. 11lbs of meat per hunter, 4.4 lbs of chicken and/or pork, 2.2 lbs of fish per hunter
Old 03-21-2018, 08:30 PM   #186
La Calavera
Six Point

With these amounts no one will be checking for meat at the border.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:57 PM   #187
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
With these amounts no one will be checking for meat at the border.
Great info Bernado, thank you
Old 03-21-2018, 09:03 PM   #188
RanchoAB
Eight Point

[quote=Hunt24/7Hard;13264728]
Quote:

Yes there is.

I highly recommend this guy from 12 point taxidermy. His name is Miguel Herrera. He is our scorer for the Cola Blanca contest in Laredo. Great guy. He has a shop in Laredo as well.

RanchoAB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 09:11 PM   #189
dc1986
Pope & Young

Quote:
Print it and take it with you, it shows the quantities. 11lbs of meat per hunter, 4.4 lbs of chicken and/or pork, 2.2 lbs of fish per hunter
Thank you very much. This will be very helpful.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:19 PM   #190
jmoore2006
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas, Mexico

Quote:
This is just a write up that they sent to us to see if we thought it was fair:

comestibles empaquetados de origen por las tiendas de autoconsumo, cerrados y sin escurrimientos

Carne de res cruda, cosida o seca en cualquier presentación: Consumo personal de 5 kilogramos por cazador.
Pascado fresco en cualquier presentación (entero, fileteado o en trozo), congelado o enhielado. Consumo personal de 1 kilogramos por cazador

Embutidos de res, puerco, aves

Quesos frescos o deshidratados en cualquier presentación: Consumo personal 1 kilogramos por cazador
Mantequilla Consumo personal .5 kilogramos por cazador
Cremas Consumo personal .5 kilogramos por cazador
Vegetales, frutas, café, semillas, harinas y cereales con los requisitos y cantidades actualmente autorizadas.

groceries packaged from home by self-consumption stores, closed and without runoff
Raw, sewn or dried beef in any presentation: Personal consumption of 5 kilograms per hunter.
Raw pork meat, sewn or stuffed in any presentation: Personal consumption of 2 kilograms per hunter.
Chicken meat, raw turkey, sewn or sausage in any presentation: Personal consumption of 2 kilograms per hunter
Fresh pasta in any presentation (whole, filleted or in pieces), frozen or frozen. Personal consumption of 1 kilogram per hunter
Sausages of beef, pork, poultry
Fresh or dehydrated cheeses in any presentation: Personal consumption 1 kilograms per hunter
Butter Personal consumption .5 kilograms per hunter
Creams Personal consumption .5 kilograms per hunter
Vegetables, fruits, coffee, seeds, flours and cereals with the requirements and amounts currently authorized.

English version
jmoore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 09:21 PM   #191
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Lots of good information. Thanks for all the update guys

Old 03-21-2018, 09:22 PM   #192
jmoore2006
Ten Point

Also should add a kg is 2.2 lb so the portions seem fair if they go to policing it hard
Old 03-21-2018, 09:28 PM   #193
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

[quote=RanchoAB;13265187]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt24/7Hard View Post

I highly recommend this guy from 12 point taxidermy. His name is Miguel Herrera. He is our scorer for the Cola Blanca contest in Laredo. Great guy. He has a shop in Laredo as well.

You guys have any pics of his work?
Old 03-21-2018, 09:33 PM   #194
Farmdog
Ten Point

If the POI bbq pit has a fire in it we are SOL still good news. I only had meat conficated 2 or 3 times but its a bad feeling knowing your going to eat javalina if you cant catch some quail!
Farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 09:43 PM   #195
Hombre
Nubbin' Buck

Just for the record, IF they find a dead tick on your Mexico mounted deer, it will be rejected and you will have to take the mounted deer back to Mexico. It has happened. The USDA people are interpreting the letter of the law and not the intent of the law which is to not allow live ticks into Texas.
taxidermy guy, you are wasting your time talking to anyone about this tick law, I know, I have gone as high up the bureaucratic chain as possible. You can fly in a cape to DFW from Mexico RAW unfrozen and you are good to go. Bring a cape across Columbia that has been frozen for a month with a dead tick and it will be rejected.
Please everyone listen to me on what I am about to say. This will be the best tip you get today. DO NOT discuss anything about your deer capes, the people working the bridge or ANYTHING else you do not want the USDA agents to hear while they are in their office. They have a listening device at the waiting area at Columbia. I believe they intentionally make you wait while they listen to your conversations hoping to get some information they can use against you. This is NOT speculation, it is a fact. Be very carefull while at the Columbia bridge while checking your deer or anything else.
Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 09:53 PM   #196
dc1986
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore2006 View Post
groceries packaged from home by self-consumption stores, closed and without runoff
Raw, sewn or dried beef in any presentation: Personal consumption of 5 kilograms per hunter.
Raw pork meat, sewn or stuffed in any presentation: Personal consumption of 2 kilograms per hunter.
Chicken meat, raw turkey, sewn or sausage in any presentation: Personal consumption of 2 kilograms per hunter
Fresh pasta in any presentation (whole, filleted or in pieces), frozen or frozen. Personal consumption of 1 kilogram per hunter
Sausages of beef, pork, poultry
Fresh or dehydrated cheeses in any presentation: Personal consumption 1 kilograms per hunter
Butter Personal consumption .5 kilograms per hunter
Creams Personal consumption .5 kilograms per hunter
Vegetables, fruits, coffee, seeds, flours and cereals with the requirements and amounts currently authorized.

English version
Gracias👍
Old 03-21-2018, 09:54 PM   #197
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmdog View Post
If the POI bbq pit has a fire in it we are SOL still good news. I only had meat conficated 2 or 3 times but its a bad feeling knowing your going to eat javalina if you cant catch some quail!
I'll starve
Old 03-21-2018, 09:59 PM   #198
jmoore2006
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
I'll starve

Makes 2 of us. As bo says I’m not eating a rat
Old 03-21-2018, 10:00 PM   #199
Hunt24/7Hard
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas/Mexico/Kansas

[quote=RanchoAB;13265187]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt24/7Hard View Post

They do fantastic work.
Booth was set up at Cola Blanca last year. Very easy process

Hunt24/7Hard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 10:00 PM   #200
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
Just for the record, IF they find a dead tick on your Mexico mounted deer, it will be rejected and you will have to take the mounted deer back to Mexico. It has happened. The USDA people are interpreting the letter of the law and not the intent of the law which is to not allow live ticks into Texas.
taxidermy guy, you are wasting your time talking to anyone about this tick law, I know, I have gone as high up the bureaucratic chain as possible. You can fly in a cape to DFW from Mexico RAW unfrozen and you are good to go. Bring a cape across Columbia that has been frozen for a month with a dead tick and it will be rejected.
Please everyone listen to me on what I am about to say. This will be the best tip you get today. DO NOT discuss anything about your deer capes, the people working the bridge or ANYTHING else you do not want the USDA agents to hear while they are in their office. They have a listening device at the waiting area at Columbia. I believe they intentionally make you wait while they listen to your conversations hoping to get some information they can use against you. This is NOT speculation, it is a fact. Be very carefull while at the Columbia bridge while checking your deer or anything else.
10-4 but out of curiosity Im still going to call.. WOW ...... It sure sounds like a huge circle jerk..... There is more to this than a tick.. I'm not sure what but something.. These people are smart enough to know that a dead tick is 0 harm to anyone or anything.. They are also smart enough to know that deer, and other tick carrying animals, cross the river daily.. To let a live dog across and not a frozen head is all the proof I need to recognize that their is a hidden agenda..