No announcement yet.

Welfare reform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was in Portland, Oregon recently, had a guy tell me the homeless people get all the free bottled water they want for free. So they get 2-3 cases, dump the water out and take empty bottles to store for 10 cents each and then buy beer or cigarettes with the cash. Very dirty city because of so many homeless people and Lib government subsidizing them.

Comment

1. Wall
      2. Hilary Clinton in jail

Until then it’s just a smoke screen pandering to a base IMHO. Pandora’s box is opened on this countries welfare...gonna take a die off to curb it. There are to many indoctrinated into what it is to live a life scamming the government for sustenance.

Comment

The abuse is unreal, it's bigger than we can imagine. We are all talking about an instance here and there that we know of or heard about, it's everywhere, everyday.

I shop at Kroger's in Orange, Texas and when I have a buggy full of meat that is on sale, every single time, someone comes up and wants to buy my buggy and let me pay them half the ticket in cash.

I won't lie, I went and waited in line for 3 hours for SNAP after Harvey, I lost 2 fridges and 2 freezers worth of food and FEMA was no help. (I finally got my flood payment in January so that helped out). I saw and heard of so many people with the story to their friends "oh, I already got mine, I'm in line for Mom and Dad, my sister, my brother, they can't wait in the heat, they can't drive, they have to work today." I know that one lady got 4 families of food and too many to count that got 3 families of food. This wasn't chump change either, $1,369 for a family of 4, over $1,600 for a family of 5 on a Lonestar Card, supposed to cover 2 months of groceries. The abuse was unreal, those extra cards were sold off for a few hundred dollars each.

Regarding the amount, I have two boys, 15 & 17, both athletes, me and the wife, and I had to work at spending the money, it lasted from September through mid December. It was only 2 months worth per their system. It's just crazy.

After my mom retired, she was a volunteer for many groups and served at the local community center at the first of the month handing out the Govt food items. She got one ration for her service and that cheese and peanut butter was GREAT!! lol. There was a local restaurant that acquired a lot of that cheese each month, they had some good enchiladas, lol.

I think the farmers supply would be a great deal but in all reality, it would be too embarrassing for the needy (you get my drift,,,). Might be pretty wasteful as well with the lack of cooking skills today,,,,

Comment

LoL we're talking about $1,300 in food stamps and Trump is talking about a $4,400,000,000,000 yearly budget and a $7,000,000,000,000 deficit

I mean welfare is bad but you want to give the guy whole stole crumbs from you the death sentence while this other guy is stealing your whole pie and you're cheering him on.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
            He may be referring to those who voted for Obama, then again it may been a slight to blacks. I see plenty of all races using it too.

I don’t care if people use it, it’s the abuse and dependency that gets me.

The other side of this argument is if the private sector non profits were taking care of their communities and meeting needs there would be no cause for the gov’t to be in the welfare business
            I argue there is no reason for anyone to be in the welfare business. Sure a very select few need help but I'd wager way over 80% is plain abuse. And I'd wager more that way over 90% of the people who "need" help with food still have nice things like a cell phone, cable TV etc.

Just end all welfare and then start over only helping those truly unable to work. And if someone is overweight so much they can't work that's simply no excuse.

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
            1. Wall

Until then it’s just a smoke screen pandering to a base IMHO. Pandora’s box is opened on this countries welfare...gonna take a die off to curb it. There are to many indoctrinated into what it is to live a life scamming the government for sustenance.
            Fingers crossed he's working on these two also.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
              LoL we're talking about $1,300 in food stamps and Trump is talking about a $4,400,000,000,000 yearly budget and a $7,000,000,000,000 deficit

I mean welfare is bad but you want to give the guy whole stole crumbs from you the death sentence while this other guy is stealing your whole pie and you're cheering him on.
              You’re not seriously that ignorant are you?

The amount of people on welfare that don’t need to be is staggering. If he would end that and implement a well organized system that they can’t cheat, I’m all for it.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post

The amount of people on welfare that don’t need to be is staggering. If he would end that and implement a well organized system that they can’t cheat, I’m all for it.

He is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Let me have a moment to tell y’all about my son’s mother...she gets her food stamps and WIC; she gets a subsidy for my son’s daycare (he’s not in daycare though, so I’m sure she splits this with whoever gives her paperwork), she gets a subsidy to help her pay rent (she bounces between relatives, and I’ve been informed she splits this with whoever she is living with), also gets unemployment (has never had a job for more than a month at a time, and goes 12+ months between those “jobs”), collects Pell Grants and student loans even though she has earned exactly zero college credits through nine semesters enrolled, and collects child support as well. Know the best part? She gets to collect all of that, except child support and the college aid, from two different states! The states know about it, but say she’s just confused and have told her to stop multiple times. Yet despite needing all of this assistance, every time we meet to pick up or drop off my son, she goes into the gas station and purchases beer and cigarettes for her and boyfriend, who also doesn’t have a job and is collecting benefits in two different states.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePumaLives View Post
                    Let me have a moment to tell y’all about my son’s mother...she gets her food stamps and WIC; she gets a subsidy for my son’s daycare (he’s not in daycare though, so I’m sure she splits this with whoever gives her paperwork), she gets a subsidy to help her pay rent (she bounces between relatives, and I’ve been informed she splits this with whoever she is living with), also gets unemployment (has never had a job for more than a month at a time, and goes 12+ months between those “jobs”), collects Pell Grants and student loans even though she has earned exactly zero college credits through nine semesters enrolled, and collects child support as well. Know the best part? She gets to collect all of that, except child support and the college aid, from two different states! The states know about it, but say she’s just confused and have told her to stop multiple times. Yet despite needing all of this assistance, every time we meet to pick up or drop off my son, she goes into the gas station and purchases beer and cigarettes for her and boyfriend, who also doesn’t have a job and is collecting benefits in two different states.
                    This is insane!

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
                      1. Wall

Much like was said about the school shooting..... people aren’t being taught the value of life. Some don’t respect other’s lives while some don’t respect their own and what they could do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post

SNAP is about $70B per year.
                        A lot to an individual, but that is crumbs to the $4.4T budget.
                        Yes it needs to be addressed but it's not like our govt is going broke behind it.
                        You simply have your emotions in it.
                        Instead of buying 29 fighter jets buy 27 and SNAP will be paid for.

Again, our time will be more efficiently spent reducing the budgets of other departments.

Y'all get so bent out of shape cause somebody makes less than $1k a month and gets $135 a month in food stamps.

I feel sorry for them actually.
                        If they are going to do all that for $135 a month it shows how bad their life really is.
                        We all pay like $50 per YEAR to fund the entire food stamp program.
                        Let's say 50% is fraud claims.
                        That means we legitimately need to give up $25 for food stamps and the other $25 is fraud.
                        You're really crying about $2 per month coming out of your household because somebody wants to buy name brand cereal instead of generic?
                        Just a bunch of complainers.

Somebody here said they applied for food stamps because of Harvey
                        Is he posting on TBH with a smartphone and high speed internet but yet and still applying for food stamps?

And then complains they gave him too much as he's trying furiously to spend it all.
                        LoL

The level of contradiction is ridiculous.
                        Talking smack about food stamps but yet you're in the food stamp line.
                        That's rich.
                        Last edited by texansfan; 02-16-2018, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                          Instead of buying 29 fighter jets buy 27 and SNAP will be paid for.
                          I'd like to piggy back on that, hate to "cherry pick" your argument but the above is all I can really answer to. I work for the government and have for 16 years in various fields. The amount of government waste is astounding. Each year each branch gets a budget that trickles down to the various bases. Each base allocates funding based on the perceived need of the various (in my case I'll use AF as that's what I know) Wing, Group and Squadron. Now the issue is this. At the end of the year (we'll use the Squadron level) the perceived need is based on the amount spent the previous year. Here's the rub. At the end of the fiscal year lets say Squadron A still has a surplus of 100,000 dollars. Might not sound like much but if spent wisely by the accounting folks it'll go a long way for training. Now if that money isn't spent it can't be "saved" for next year so it gets blown on all kinds of useless crap so that next year Squadron A can get it's full allotment (if the Squadron doesn't use it all they get less the next year based on the amount they didn't spend). By useless crap I mean new $400 sleeping bags and $200 K-bars and $700 dive watches for each member of a 3000 person Wing. Most of that stuff goes home with the members or is left laying in storage for decades. When I came on board as the equipment manager at my last place I found $1.74 million in equipment laying covered in dust from the late 90's. Another $2.2 million in personal gear laying in dust from the 2000's. The value amounts were based on the cost of the items at the time they were purchased so it might not have been 100% accurate. We turned all that stuff into DRMO to be destroyed. Stupidity. Pure stupidity. The government could adjust this to allow Squadron A to bank that funding for next FY thereby being able to save for more expensive, and necessary equipment and training.

I know this thread is about welfare but fraud falls on all levels from the top down. I feel, opinion only, that taking care of the issues at the top would help fix the issues nearer the other end.

Just my .02$

Richard.
                          Last edited by Junkers88; 02-16-2018, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                            I'd like to piggy back on that, hate to "cherry pick" your argument but the above is all I can really answer to. I work for the government and have for 16 years in various fields. The amount of government waste is astounding. Each year each branch gets a budget that trickles down to the various bases. Each base allocates funding based on the perceived need of the various (in my case I'll use AF as that's what I know) Wing, Group and Squadron. Now the issue is this. At the end of the year (we'll use the Squadron level) the perceived need is based on the amount spent the previous year. Here's the rub. At the end of the fiscal year lets say Squadron A still has a surplus of 100,000 dollars. Might not sound like much but if spent wisely by the accounting folks it'll go a long way for training. Now if that money isn't spent it can't be "saved" for next year so it gets blown on all kinds of useless crap so that next year Squadron A can get it's full allotment (if the Squadron doesn't use it all they get less the next year based on the amount they didn't spend). By useless crap I mean new $400 sleeping bags and $200 K-bars and $700 dive watches for each member of a 3000 person Wing. Most of that stuff goes home with the members or is left laying in storage for decades. When I came on board as the equipment manager at my last place I found $1.74 million in equipment laying covered in dust from the late 90's. Another $2.2 million in personal gear laying in dust from the 2000's. The value amounts were based on the cost of the items at the time they were purchased so it might not have been 100% accurate. We turned all that stuff into DRMO to be destroyed. Stupidity. Pure stupidity. The government could adjust this to allow Squadron A to bank that funding for next FY thereby being able to save for more expensive, and necessary equipment and training.

I know this thread is about welfare but fraud falls on all levels from the top down. I feel, opinion only, that taking care of the issues at the top would help fix the issues nearer the other end.

Just my .02$

Richard.
                            Yes, of course there is fraud and waste.

But what some dingle berry can't fathom is we need to start somewhere. So why not start with worthless people who abuse the system and don't put a dime back in? And his argument could be made for any specific place that should be cut. It's all crumbs but they all add up to a full loaf.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                              Yes, of course there is fraud and waste.

But what some dingle berry can't fathom is we need to start somewhere. So why not start with worthless people who abuse the system and don't put a dime back in? And his argument could be made for any specific place that should be cut. It's all crumbs but they all add up to a full loaf.
                              I understand and agree. You might be right in that the welfare system might be a great place to start. There is rampant abuse of that system, living in small town Texas I saw it first hand at the grocery stores where folks would walk out with two shopping carts full of groceries paid for with various gov't cards and crawl into a truck that I'd never be able to afford working two jobs. I was just saying that adjustments need to be made at all levels to get our budget back in the black.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                                I understand and agree. You might be right in that the welfare system might be a great place to start. There is rampant abuse of that system, living in small town Texas I saw it first hand at the grocery stores where folks would walk out with two shopping carts full of groceries paid for with various gov't cards and crawl into a truck that I'd never be able to afford working two jobs. I was just saying that adjustments need to be made at all levels to get our budget back in the black.
                                Zero balance budgeting is the way to go in regards to getting budgets under control. Cutting back on welfare fraud would also cut down on numerous other government expenses as well; if you can knock a quarter of the people off then you can eliminate a quarter of the infrastructure that goes into administering it. That’s the rub though, the system is all about justifying its existence.

Take my earlier example of my son living in Louisiana and yet attending daycare in Texas. The address given for the daycare is a 2 bedroom/1 bath home in McLennan County that is administering day care services to over 100 children. Every single child registered there is on government assistance. That’s pretty fishy, don’t you think? So my question is, who in the alphabet soup of local government certified this day care center? Has no one in the various departments noticed that a two bed/one bath home is not suitable to have over 100 children there five days a week? Of course they have, but thats a number that they can throw into their annual reports and justify more money for their programs and raises for themselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X