Whole home solar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
    Your electric bills are $100, 8 months a year and $150 the other 4?

Am I reading that right???

I would count my blessings if my bills were that low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah that’s what I was thinking. I have too many thermostat ninjas in my house.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
      What I was getting at is your electric bills are cheap.

My bill is $200-300 between May and October. Nov-April $75-150.

I have thought about putting some panels on my house but I don’t think the cost will offset the bill enough to make it worth it.

FYI my house is 2000 sqft and was built in 2007.

About the same age and sized home. Plus the wife works full time from her home office so she keeps the house comfortable.

Comment

I’m actually a solar salesman. 230 watt panels are not used very often, we typically install 290 watt panels. Solar does make sense and can generally save people a pretty good chunk of money. It all depends on if you are looking to finance or pay cash. As stated in the thread, efficiency measures definitely matter and are a cheaper way of saving money on your electric bill. Solar just adds to the benefit of windows, duct sealing and radiant barrier. By no means am I trying to give you a sales pitch but if you would like some more info, feel free to give me a shout. In my honest opinion, a 5kw system probably isn’t going to offset that much of your bill but I would be glad to just punch your numbers into my system to give you an unbiased proposal.

Comment

We put a 10kw system on our house when we remodeled. We added about 1800 sq ft on top of our house with a second floor. Another water heater and central unit, two bedrooms. Our bills are the same as they were before the addition. We're pleased with the decision.

Comment

Not anywhere near worth it.

Comment

Solar is only good if you can get another hefty liberal government rebate like in California. Solar degradation, battery degradation, still paying a base electric bill ($20 or so in my area), etc kills the return.

Comment

No backup batteries with this system. The system is totally dependent on natural resources if it is not producing power.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                  No backup batteries with this system. The system is totally dependent on natural resources if it is not producing power.
                  So you still run AC at night off regular electricity?

I don't even see why this thread topic comes up. I think 99% of people know it's never worth it. It's like running numbers all day on ice savings so one can feel good about buying a Yeti.

IMO it's going to be 10-20 years before solar gets good enough to even consider. One of the biggest waste of taxpayer money we have.

Comment

The biggest sale point this salesman had was these panels store energy for nighttime and cloudy day usage. I did not buy it but I saw the truck out there putting up panels on the neighbors place so I’m sure they did.

Comment

Without a battery backup, solar panels don’t store anything. They only produce when the sun is out and cloudy days don’t do anything for production. There is a black eye on solar for this very reason. No offense at all, but your solar guy is lying to you

Comment

On residential, the roi is generally 7-12 years. It’s an investment, if you like paying a bill that will never end and give you zero roi, more power to you. I try to offset at least 90% of the electric usage and if it doesn’t make sense in the situation I’m working, I’ll be the first to tell you. I’m definitely not a liberal or green minded but I do believe in saving money when and if I can. My whole adult life I’ve been in the oilfield and when I changed careers I was skeptical as well. I get that most people don’t think it is worth it, I was one of those people but it does work in a lot of circumstances

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
                          tesla solar shingles
                          X2

Comment

Originally posted by heath0624 View Post
                            On residential, the roi is generally 7-12 years. It’s an investment, if you like paying a bill that will never end and give you zero roi, more power to you. I try to offset at least 90% of the electric usage and if it doesn’t make sense in the situation I’m working, I’ll be the first to tell you. I’m definitely not a liberal or green minded but I do believe in saving money when and if I can. My whole adult life I’ve been in the oilfield and when I changed careers I was skeptical as well. I get that most people don’t think it is worth it, I was one of those people but it does work in a lot of circumstances

Are the panels you sale made in China?

Comment

Working...
                            X