Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-11-2018, 04:42 PM   #151
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dry Creek Ranch-Real County

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseyWales82 View Post

Seems like more of a "looks cool" then practicality. (Which I'm not against by any means) I mean why have molle webbing everywhere? to attach things? like what?

Just for the record, I think the tactical look is bad ***.
Iíll snap some pics later but I use the MOLLE on the sides of my GR0 for a water bottle pouch (doubles as a bag for snacks and fuel stuffs when I use a bladder) and also my first aid/foot care kit.
1369 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 08:44 AM   #152
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

Quote:
I do the same with my packs too. 30L for the day stuff described(and some quick summer time overnighters). 65L for multi-day trips.

Seems like more of a "looks cool" then practicality. (Which I'm not against by any means) I mean why have molle webbing everywhere? to attach things? like what?

Just for the record, I think the tactical look is bad ***.
Quote:
I agree they are cool packs. And versatile.

But when it comes to distance and weight distribution.....
You know, I used to roll my eyes at "tacticool" stuff. But the truth is, alot of the tacticool labels are born out of the people who buy stuff for lools over function.

The truth is, these things are functional. They are functional in ways your other packs are not. I know this because I own and use them too.

Lightweight packs are designed for specific gear. Packs made of Cordura 1000 and rely on heavy stiching and rigid framing are designed for different gear. I would never load up my osprey 45 with my loppers, makita tools, wire, and bolts and hump the mile to a new stand location... but have no problem stuffing a bag, clothes, alcohol stove, and freeze dried food in one.

Different tools for different things.

For heavy weight, I uses a suspension pack. But you wpuld be surprised to know how much weight you can tolerate with a simple backpack made to handle the weight from a stiching standpoint and proper loading.

And one final note... MOLLE is friggin awesome. Once you get familiar with its versatility... you will wish most things had MOLLE.

So... again... different tools for different jobs, and many of us are diverse in our outdoor endeavors.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 08:45 AM   #153
Pope & Young

Here's how I have my GR0 rigged with a water bottle pouch and my IFAK.

Water bottle pouch

Name:  IMG_6715.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  79.8 KB

IFAK

Name:  IMG_4213.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  75.8 KB
Old 01-12-2018, 08:49 AM   #154
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by .270 View Post
Yes please fill me in on the 5.11 packs!!! Look good and affordable via Amazon but I know nothing about how to compare which packs are worth a dern.
Honestly, I love the Rush 12 for rucking. Wouldn't want bigger, nor smaller. Has held up 8 months with likely over 800+ miles with loads of 30 to 40 lbs.

Took it to Spain and was just the ok size for a under seat bag. I had it stuffed full which made it tight... loosely packed it was pefect. Fit my laptop, etc.

A 24 would be too big to get good compact loading and smaller I dont think you could get to high of a weight if you wanted to heavy ruck (30+)

But these are just my opinions based on my limited time doing this.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:39 AM   #155
JoseyWales82
Six Point

Hunt In: Cypress, TX/Weimar, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
You know, I used to roll my eyes at "tacticool" stuff. But the truth is, alot of the tacticool labels are born out of the people who buy stuff for lools over function.

The truth is, these things are functional. They are functional in ways your other packs are not. I know this because I own and use them too.

Lightweight packs are designed for specific gear. Packs made of Cordura 1000 and rely on heavy stiching and rigid framing are designed for different gear. I would never load up my osprey 45 with my loppers, makita tools, wire, and bolts and hump the mile to a new stand location... but have no problem stuffing a bag, clothes, alcohol stove, and freeze dried food in one.

Different tools for different things.

For heavy weight, I uses a suspension pack. But you wpuld be surprised to know how much weight you can tolerate with a simple backpack made to handle the weight from a stiching standpoint and proper loading.

And one final note... MOLLE is friggin awesome. Once you get familiar with its versatility... you will wish most things had MOLLE.

So... again... different tools for different jobs, and many of us are diverse in our outdoor endeavors.

Ok, Agreed. I can see the reasoning when carry loppers and heavy tools. This need for thicker material makes sense. I especially like the ruck that allows for the deer carcass that someone posted earlier.
JoseyWales82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #156
Pope & Young

10.05 miles in 3:41:12 (Obligatory Starbucks stop) at 50# this morning.

It was kinda cold. Espresso helps.

Last edited by 1369; 01-13-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #157
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1369 View Post
10.05 miles in 3:41:12 (Obligatory Starbucks stop) at 50# this morning.

It was kinda cold. Espresso helps.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:53 PM   #158
Pope & Young

Some of todayís work.

Name:  3C08D43F-7F9B-452A-A4BE-2375CC26BFE6.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  38.9 KB
Old 01-14-2018, 04:07 PM   #159
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Got in a few miles here and there at the lease between hunts and 5 miles just now... puts me at 101 for the first 2 weeks!

Patch was waiting for me when I got home.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:36 PM   #160
Pope & Young

Quote:
Got in a few miles here and there at the lease between hunts and 5 miles just now... puts me at 101 for the first 2 weeks!

Patch was waiting for me when I got home.

Hey, only 900 more to go!
Old 01-14-2018, 04:40 PM   #161
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Hey, only 900 more to go!
Ha!

Yeah, 10% doesn't sound like much.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:30 PM   #162
flatlander
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

Quote:
I really like the all the hiking and mileage that I see getting cranked out. I've read this thread and others like it from Swamprabbit in past. (The ruck fishing trip was awesome)

I'll never understand why people use a "rucksack" instead of a backpacking pack. The backpacks offered by osprey, Gregory, arcteryx, etc, are awesome. Years of research from thru hikers. Super lite and designed to minimize wear and tear on your body. So you are ready for the next day.

I guess I understand (or maybe I don't) that guys from the military want to use a product that they are familiar with. I understand that the "ruck" backpacks are made from a thicker material, hence maybe more reliable in the long run.(durability) But youre not getting shot at and its not a life or death situation if your pack gets a hole in it.(Osprey has a life time warranty, small hole, send it back)

So I guess my questions is......

Why not use the best gear available for your task?
I donít think those packs would hold up like a good military grade ruck. My kids carry their books to school in them, they are made for a different purpose.

My GORUCK ruck is very heavy duty, with handles that I can use it to swing the weight for a workout. Thrusters, ruck swings like a kettle bell, etc.

I started with a used Marine Corp ruck from eBay and its pretty good, but nothing compared to the construction and durability of a GORUCK product.

Jmho.
flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2018, 10:35 PM   #163
flatlander
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

Quote:
Ok, Agreed. I can see the reasoning when carry loppers and heavy tools. This need for thicker material makes sense. I especially like the ruck that allows for the deer carcass that someone posted earlier.
I train with 12” x 16” x 5/8” steel plates at about 35lbs each, I think it would eat through the lighter bags.

Last edited by flatlander; 01-15-2018 at 10:39 PM.
flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2018, 11:41 PM   #164
MasonCo.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brazoria Co, public land

gonna have to start on this...
MasonCo. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #165
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Well... nothing like rucking in an ice storm... got in 5 miles... the last 3 of them with heavy sleet. Wanted 6 or 7... but the sidewalks were icing up and getting too slippery

Old 01-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #166
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching

You sir are crazy. I admire that.

Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #167
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkers88 View Post
You sir are crazy. I admire that.

Crazy is being a slave to the tracker patch and going out to get another 3.7 miles...

120.05 miles total (880 to go.)

Old 01-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #168
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

11.0 mile ruck this morning... puts me at 838 more miles to go!

Old 01-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #169
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching

Ok. I'm going to have to get off my butt and start rucking or something. My weekends usually consist of getting some stuffed jalapenos in the over first thing in the morning, going outside and shooting until they are done and then opening a beer to have with my snacks. All while my wife is at the gym of course. Swampie you're making me feel like a lazy ***.

Dedicated for sure brother. Keep at it!

Richard.
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2018, 11:43 AM   #170
MasonCo.
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkers88 View Post
Ok. I'm going to have to get off my butt and start rucking or something. My weekends usually consist of getting some stuffed jalapenos in the over first thing in the morning, going outside and shooting until they are done and then opening a beer to have with my snacks. All while my wife is at the gym of course. Swampie you're making me feel like a lazy ***.

Dedicated for sure brother. Keep at it!

Richard.

Sounds like your living right to me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2018, 12:27 PM   #171
Pope & Young

12.01 miles with 50# in the GR0 prepping for the Jailbreak Ruck weight requirement. 50# in the hills of Timberwood Park got heavy quick.

Name:  9EF9EFFD-9BB1-43C3-8446-B841B190342D.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  41.4 KB

Name:  CD923D2A-7C4F-46FD-B49B-FCC4331599A9.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  35.1 KB

Last edited by 1369; 01-20-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:39 PM   #172
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
12.01 miles with 50# in the GR0 prepping for the Jailbreak Ruck weight requirement. 50# in the hills of Timberwood Park got heavy quick.
Besides the bridge... baytown is a pancake so I would say you are there buddy .

I lowered to 35# myself as I have been putting in alot of volume and have thrown in some 20# "recovery" rucks. For jailbreak, I will go with the freighter pack with belt... so it shouldn't be nearly as tough as your GR0 loaded at 50. I debated pushing the rush 12 to 50# but just don't think it will work out... that is where having the plates would be handy.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:47 PM   #173
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Hunt In: Erath County and Davis County Iowa

I hike about 10 miles a week just for exercise. I use a Molle ll large ruck sack. With my usual hammock camping gear it comes in at right under 25 lbs. Headed out now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Arrowsmith is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #174
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Ok I need some help. I walk between 4-7 miles every day it is not raining. I lift as my primary exercise. My walks are not effective as they were a few months ago. I have a backpack I used for elk hunting which it an internal frame pack. Could I just use this pack and put bags of sand in it or would that kinda defeat the purpose with a hip balanced pack like that? If what I have works great but no sense in doing something and not gaining the benefit
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #175
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Ok I need some help. I walk between 4-7 miles every day it is not raining. I lift as my primary exercise. My walks are not effective as they were a few months ago. I have a backpack I used for elk hunting which it an internal frame pack. Could I just use this pack and put bags of sand in it or would that kinda defeat the purpose with a hip balanced pack like that? If what I have works great but no sense in doing something and not gaining the benefit
IMO opinion not at all. One of the guys training for Bataan has an internal frame Osprey and he uses bags of rice and beans for his weight (Lots of folks do that at Bataan as the food is donated to a local pantry in the area after the event).
Old 01-22-2018, 10:45 AM   #176
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Agree with 1369... a pack is a pack. Adding body weight does what it does... means you have to use more enegry to get from point a to point b.

How you wear your weight can have added benefit ( or detiment) to your body. This is where loading comes into play.

I am rucked up... I have different bags for different workouts. Lighter school bag for recovery rucks. External frame for heavy rucks (weight to hips) and a technical bag for midweight rucks.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #177
glen
Pope & Young

Just got back from 7 miles. Heart rate never got above 120. I was walking almost the pace of one of those pro mall walkers. What type of increase will adding 40# and walking same basic pace? I’m just trying to make most of my time
Old 01-22-2018, 12:07 PM   #178
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Just got back from 7 miles. Heart rate never got above 120. I was walking almost the pace of one of those pro mall walkers. What type of increase will adding 40# and walking same basic pace? Iím just trying to make most of my time
HRMs are for cyclists and runners. Trust me, I wore one for years as a competitive cyclists. The HRM exists and is good for alot of things... but is just one "sensor" in a sea of sensors that help you train your body. Like cycling, rucking won't give you everything you want. There are elements that an HRM cant measure for you. For instance... Watts would be more appropriate.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:18 PM   #179
glen
Pope & Young

Swamp- my main training is weightlifting. I am trying to just add some intensity to my walking. I’m trying to also get benefits from sustained elevated heart rates. I would think adding 40# 80# of weight to walk with would accomplish this just not sure what to expect. I’m 604” and 245#. I figure if I could add 10-15 to my heart rate walking the. My 90 minutes of walking would be more productive.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #180
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Swamp- my main training is weightlifting. I am trying to just add some intensity to my walking. Iím trying to also get benefits from sustained elevated heart rates. I would think adding 40# 80# of weight to walk with would accomplish this just not sure what to expect. Iím 604Ē and 245#. I figure if I could add 10-15 to my heart rate walking the. My 90 minutes of walking would be more productive.
My opinion.... for HR/cardio increase, I would look elsewhere. A bike is your friend. Get an offroad bike so you don't have to up your speed for incremental gains.

Adding heavy weight and increasing pace to develop cardio isn't as effecient and has, as others have pointed out... injury risk.

When I was a slave to my HRM... i rarely walked.

BTW... studies show that sex is good for the heart... but I am here to tell you that if you happened to look at your HRM data afterwards, you would be dissapointed.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #181
Pope & Young

Quote:
BTW... studies show that sex is good for the heart... but I am here to tell you that if you happened to look at your HRM data afterwards, you would be dissapointed.

Speak for yourself. Those 15 seconds I spent in Zone 5 were still 15 seconds in Zone 5.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #182
MasonCo.
Ten Point

Quote:
Speak for yourself. Those 15 seconds I spent in Zone 5 were still 15 seconds in Zone 5.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:12 PM   #183
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

I knew that was going to happen...

Old 01-22-2018, 01:14 PM   #184
glen
Pope & Young

Can’t run as I’m too dense and pound my legs. Ride bike at work some and not spending $2k on a bike I will bend. I carry about 15% bf. I am almost 50 and walking suits my needs just trying to get more out of my time. Maybe weighted pack isn’t the answer
Old 01-24-2018, 06:12 PM   #185
Pope & Young

Got 6.25 in for training this morning (@30# recovery ruck). I’ll load 50# for the longer ruck on Saturday.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:59 AM   #186
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Here's how I have my GR0 rigged with a water bottle pouch and my IFAK.
Just noticed the "pew tube" patch... that's friggin awesome.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:09 AM   #187
Pope & Young

Quote:
Just noticed the "pew tube" patch... that's friggin awesome.
Came as a freebie (with others) when I bought a cap mount from these folks for my GoPro. Not to derail, but the mount is all kinds of awesome (bought one for the rail on my Glock/AR too) and it has helped with my firearms training. Works as well for hunting/fishing too.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:15 AM   #188
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Came as a freebie (with others) when I bought a cap mount from these folks for my GoPro. Not to derail, but the mount is all kinds of awesome (bought one for the rail on my Glock/AR too) and it has helped with my firearms training. Works as well for hunting/fishing too.
that is a pretty slick cap mount.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:03 AM   #189
Pope & Young

6.09 miles on a foggy morning. Almost 70 miles for the year.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:09 PM   #190
Geoff995
Six Point

Hunt In: Scurry Cty.

A good friend of mine and I signed up for the Bataan March today. Super excited!!
Geoff995 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 06:11 PM   #191
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff995 View Post
A good friend of mine and I signed up for the Bataan March today. Super excited!!
Cool deal. See you on the course! Going heavy or light?
Old 01-31-2018, 06:36 PM   #192
Geoff995
Six Point

Quote:
Heavy
Old 01-31-2018, 06:44 PM   #193
Geoff995
Six Point

Quote:
Pm sent
Old 01-31-2018, 06:48 PM   #194
glen
Pope & Young

I loaded the pack with 60# of sand. Did 5 miles yesterday and today. Definitely feels different than just walking.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:59 PM   #195
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff995 View Post
Heavy
Iíll see you in the corral. Iíll be the guy in the kilt.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:43 PM   #196
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Iíll see you in the corral. Iíll be the guy in the kilt.
You wearing the kilt to Jailbreak?

Old 01-31-2018, 08:34 PM   #197
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Finished off the first month with 265+ miles. Only 735 to go

And in 2nd place (for now)

Old 02-01-2018, 05:31 AM   #198
DWA
Ten Point

Hunt In: Palo pinto Johnson counties and Sonora

I've done my share of 25 mile forced marches during my time in the173rd and usually a 5-10miler once a week. I can say it wrecks your back. IF you don't do it right. An internal frame ruck is ok If that's all you have. You really need a kidney pad with a belt. This puts the weight on your hips not on your shoulders. You may not Be able to tell now but if you do it for long periods of time it will wear on you and most will start getting back pain. Lastly just weights inside a pack Is not a great idea because it doesn't move or flex. I would suggest packing it with gear. I did that 1 time thinking that it was just a quick way to get my pack to weigh the 45 pounds I needed. I can tell you from experience it is a bad idea. Guys are doing great I just want to give you got some heads up Those of that are planning to do the 1000 miles or whatever it might be something to think about.
DWA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2018, 03:34 PM   #199
Pope & Young

Quote:
You wearing the kilt to Jailbreak?

Of course.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:33 PM   #200
ladrones
Pope & Young

Bataan is expecting a huge turnout. Great way to keep the memory alive.

ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top