No announcement yet.

Arrow help.... I think I over did it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was shooting light and fast arrows last season and hit a buck in the shoulder and got minimal penetration. I decided to go heavier and had muddyfuzzy build me a dozen. I'm now up to 520 grains. My 50 yard pin is bottomed out in my sight window but I'm fine with that because my bow is really quiet and my arrows hit hard. I shot them side by side with my old arrows into a round hay bale. My old arrows were sticking out of the bale 18 inches and my new arrows were buried all the way into the bale. I'm fine with a slower arrow thats harder hitting

Comment

Originally posted by dbelcher269 View Post
      You can go with something like an Easton Hexx shaft in a 330 spine (7.9gr) and add a 75 grain brass insert. With a 27" arrow and 100 grain broadheads that puts you at around 420 grains or more if you shoot a lighted nock.

So, after configuring KE and momentum, 420-430 grains is where I need to be to get the optimal performance out of this bow. Will give me right at 67 lbs of KE and roughly 265 fps. This should be sufficient for any animal in North America out to 50-60 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Spend the time practicing that you spend over thinking this, and you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
          Spend the time practicing that you spend over thinking this, and you'll be fine.

Lol. I get what you’re saying but I need arrows and want to set up a great arrow that will work for anything I hunt. Once I set something up I’m done tinkering. I shoot all the time. Shot at 40 yards today with consistent 2 inch groups.

Comment

Tinkering is fun. Don’t get caught up on speed. If it feels good, do it.

-------------------------------
            Violence never settles anything
            -Genghis Kahn

Comment

[QUOTE=DapperDan;12814496]So I’m drawing 70 lbs and 27” draw on a Mathews no cam htx. I recently had my DL shortened from 27.5”. I had my arrows cut down and added 75 grain inserts. I was at 430 grain and 280 fps and now I’m at 476 grain and 250 fps. Shooting Easton axis 340 5mm.

I didn’t realize how drastic the drop was going to be out to 40 and 50 yards. I’m sure I have a TON of momentum and KE now but did I over do it? Is there a set up that would give me adequate momentum and KE and put me closer to 285-290 fps? Totally getting discouraged here on loss of fps and sloooooooow arrow at longer range.

Dont sweat it, I shot a 27" draw length at 60lb weight, a 500 grain arrow at 239fps with Black Eagle Deep Impacts and 250 grains up front. I love how quiet my bow is and it shoots great..And I know I should most likely blow thru any thing I shoot at..

Comment

[quote=DapperDan;12814496]So I’m drawing 70 lbs and 27” draw on a Mathews no cam htx. I recently had my DL shortened from 27.5”. I had my arrows cut down and added 75 grain inserts. I was at 430 grain and 280 fps and now I’m at 476 grain and 250 fps. Shooting Easton axis 340 5mm.

Originally posted by I didn’t realize how drastic the drop was going to be out to 40 and 50 yards. I’m sure I have a TON of momentum and KE now but did I over do it? Is there a set up that would give me adequate momentum and KE and put me closer to 285-290 fps? Totally getting discouraged here on loss of fps and sloooooooow arrow at longer range.

Your arrow would be very fast for the No Cam at that D L

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                He's not
                Don't know his arrow length, so no real way to tell.
                [quote=DapperDan;12815473]So, after configuring KE and momentum, 420-430 grains is where I need to be to get the optimal performance out of this bow. Will give me right at 67 lbs of KE and roughly 265 fps. This should be sufficient for any animal in North America out to 50-60 yards.
                sent from iphone using tapatalk]
                This post makes me think you are guessing on speed, after reading original post.
                Here's my take.
                Guys on TBH are promoting high FOC arrows, and really don't have a good reason other than reading other forums.
                I've killed traincars loads of deer and hogs without knowing what my FOC was, but my arrows flew straight.
                I used to shoot aluminum 2312 shafts with 75 grain Wasp fixed heads, and killed truckloads of deer.
                My wife shoots a 46 lb bow, with a 25" DL, with an arrow that weighs +/- 290 grains and simply puts the arrow in the right area.
                She killed a 135 inch deer on opening day in East Tx, and blew thru everything but the hide after going thru the off shoulder.
                You may be wanting something different than adequate, but don't get caught up in all this "high FOC"
                Last edited by rocky; 10-12-2017, 06:50 PM.

Comment

[quote=rocky;12816031][quote=DapperDan;12814496]So I’m drawing 70 lbs and 27” draw on a Mathews no cam htx. I recently had my DL shortened from 27.5”. I had my arrows cut down and added 75 grain inserts. I was at 430 grain and 280 fps and now I’m at 476 grain and 250 fps. Shooting Easton axis 340 5mm.

Don't know his arrow length, so no real way to tell.

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                  So, after configuring KE and momentum, 420-430 grains is where I need to be to get the optimal performance out of this bow. Will give me right at 67 lbs of KE and roughly 265 fps. This should be sufficient for any animal in North America out to 50-60 yards.

sent from iphone using tapatalk]

This post makes me think you are guessing on speed, after reading original post.

Here's my take.

Guys on TBH are promoting high FOC arrows, and really don't have a good reason other than reading other forums.

I've killed traincars loads of deer and hogs without knowing what my FOC was, but my arrows flew straight.

I used to shoot aluminum 2312 shafts with 75 grain Wasp fixed heads, and killed truckloads of deer.

My wife shoots a 46 lb bow, with a 25" DL, with an arrow that weighs +/- 290 grains and simply puts the arrow in the right area.

She killed a 135 inch deer on opening day in East Tx, and blew thru everything but the hide after going thru the off shoulder.

You may be wanting something different than adequate, but don't get caught up in all this "high FOC"

27" arrow carbon to carbon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

At 27", I seriously doubt your spine is weak with that bow, but the 75 grain insert may cause it to be.
                    Here's the deal. every 30 grains equals 10 fps.
                    You like Easton arrows, so look at their shafts and spines, and GPI, to calculate your FOC, and determine the speed you would like to shoot, and go from there.
                    Get a baseline on what your bow shoots an arrow weighing "X", and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                      I bet it's really quiet and smooth!
                      Speed isn't everything.
                      Words of wisdom.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                        So I was thinking about something in the 400-425 range. That will increase speed and give me more KE and Momentum than I currently have. I have passed the optimal point and have hit the point of diminishing returns

No such thing..

Comment

Originally posted by samson33 View Post
                          No such thing..
                          I agree

Comment

How much quieter is your bow now?

Comment

Originally posted by lovetohunt View Post
                              How much quieter is your bow now?

A little bit. But shooting a no cam htx so it’s already uber quiet to begin with and I was shooting a 433 grain arrow before I made it heavier.

Comment

Ok, so, I’m over thinking. You ever over thought something. Of course you have. It’s what we do! Anyways, I have crunched numbers based off two different arrows I have shot and chrono’d. One is 433 grain and 264 fps and the other is 476 grain and 252 fps. Both are Easton axis. Based on all the math and crunching I was able to configure approximate arrow speeds for set ups of different arrows.

Looked at victory vaps, victory rips, Easton flatlines, and Easton axis (currently shooting). Based on what I have found is I can go to the Easton axis with a 27” shaft, 340 spine, add 50 grain insert, 100 grain BH, and after fletching and knock come in at around 430 grains and have a foc close to 12%. Momentum of .5 and KE of 67.

The 433 grain arrow I was shooting was 29” and didn’t have weighted insert. I was happy with around 270 fps in that arrow.

I have my arrows at 476 grain, 250 fps, and 67 KE. Why not pick up almost 18 fps if I am not really losing anything else? What’s the downside?

Last edited by DapperDan; 10-12-2017, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X