2017 Season Starts Off Bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 Season Starts Off Bad

I couldn't get to my favorite spot on the family farm due to the rain & flooding, but I have a good spot here at my home place, so that's where I went.

I got in, got settle, and was ready to get it done.

Had a deer (couldn't make it out) come in just before daylight, hang for a few minutes, then leave.

After daylight, and just before sunrise (good legal shooting light), I heard a vehicle coming, and it sounded like they were running 100 mph down the dirt road. They were other hunters who have permission to hunt the property to my south.

Yes they were running late, and instead of going on down to "their" gate, and going onto "their" property, they parked on my road (right in the primary deer run) about 50 yards south of my blind, and hopped the fence to go to their spots.

I stayed until almost 10 a.m., but didn't see anything else, so I got out of my blind to go confront the jackasses.

We had a small altercation, and I don't think they will be repeating the error of their ways again. As a matter of fact, they may never show up anywhere near here again.

Due to the commotion, I have decide to NOT go back to my spot until this evening. Want to give things time to settle down for the animals.

Rick

Did anybody get knocked out?

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
      Did anybody get knocked out?
      No. They were stupid jackasses, but smart enough to take their berating without protest.

Rick

Comment

That sucks!! I would've been hot too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had several deer come in tonight right after dark.

Don't know how many, but several.

I'm encouraged. They'll show up sooner or later during shooting light.

Rick

Comment

Moon phase and falling barometer don't help.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine started off badly and stayed bad. Friday evening, Clay County got more rain than we have had in quite a while. Had to park the pickup at the gate and take the Mule to camp. Our roads were a quagmire. Did not see any deer at either feeder but I got cleaned out of corn each night. I only saw one little deer who had lost his last spot about 5 minutes before I saw it. I was walking to the stand Saturday afternoon with the wind in my face. He was without his Mama and jumped up about 5 feet in front of me. Bounded off about 30 feet and stopped wondering what I was. Mosquitos almost ate me up Saturday and Sunday. I felt like I was back home in East Tx. Who would have ever thought you would need a Thermacell in North Central Tx.?

Comment

Originally posted by 76aggie View Post
                Mine started off badly and stayed bad. Friday evening, Clay County got more rain than we have had in quite a while. Had to park the pickup at the gate and take the Mule to camp. Our roads were a quagmire. Did not see any deer at either feeder but I got cleaned out of corn each night. I only saw one little deer who had lost his last spot about 5 minutes before I saw it. I was walking to the stand Saturday afternoon with the wind in my face. He was without his Mama and jumped up about 5 feet in front of me. Bounded off about 30 feet and stopped wondering what I was. Mosquitos almost ate me up Saturday and Sunday. I felt like I was back home in East Tx. Who would have ever thought you would need a Thermacell in North Central Tx.?

Only those that have lived in north central Texas for more than three months of January and February

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                  Moon phase and falling barometer don't help.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
                  YEP. thats why i haven't gone yet..and its too hot..

Comment

I've only made it out once so far as it's been too muddy to risk making the land owner mad. Had 6 coyotes come by over the whole evening. Shot at one at about 45 yards and missed it. Saw no deer.

Comment

Working...
                    X