LBJ Grassland 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
    I remember a time I was deer hunting one October. Went in before daylight. Was wondering why I didn't see any deer when I got down for lunch. I was 50 yards inside a tree-line. When I broke the tree line walking back, and down the trail 10 yards, was a feller stone cold drunk and pasted out. Never saw him going in. And I was 1.1 miles from the parking area. I woke him up. And got some small talk out of him. He said he was waiting for the sun to come up so he could watch for deer . Saw him a few more times after that out there hunting. But he had an air about him that I didn't trust. So I never hung out with him even though he seemed like a nice guy in passing. He and his brothers got busted for meth production, and a ton of other violations, a few years later. There were several law enforcement agencies involved with that bust, including TP&W, and USFS Decatur National Grasslands Division.

Anyway, the point of this story is, I'm glad it wasn't a drunk passed out that you went to shooting at before you identified your target.
    I'd bet his name started with an M. One of them boys was busted for killing an elk in Yellowstone NP.

And never, ever leave anything in the back of your truck.

Comment

Anyone ever find any arrowheads on LBJ? may try to look for some during off season. Also, want to know how much i need to prioritize keeping my eyes peeled when walking into hunting locations...

Comment

LBJ Grassland 2017

Originally posted by Brentwalkertx View Post
        Thats rhe only story i got. Other than the time i was walking through the grasslands in the dark hunting hogs, and turned my light off and run into something amd unloaded my gun on it. Then turn the light on to find its an old car.

Please tell me you're joking. I think hog hunting at night on the grasslands is illegal, and unloading a gun on an unidentified object in the dark is pretty irresponsible.

Comment

I recently found some old 3 1/2" floppy disk and picked up a floppy disk reader at a garage sale for $1.00.

I came across a couple of pics y'all might like. These were from my years working out there.

A hunter scored on this buck in 2001 north of Cottonwood Lake.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LBJ 2001 Buck.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	24510834

Name:	LBJ Turkeys _2002.JPG
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	24510835

Comment

Here's one of the reasons they have a regulation restricting off road vehicle use. This poor fellow had to pay for fire suppression cost. I guarantee you it wasn't cheap.

Name:	LBJ truck fire.JPG
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	24510836

Comment

Originally posted by Larry View Post
              Please tell me you're joking. I think hog hunting at night on the grasslands is illegal, and unloading a gun on an unidentified object in the dark is pretty irresponsible.

It was very irresponsible. I agree. I had just turned 18. Had never been to public land. First year ever. I had hunted before. But it was always on private land. And sitting at a feeder. I had gotten turned around and started to panic. Phone battery was getting low and didnt want to waste it. When i ran into the car it scared the tar out of me. I should have looked at what it was before i shot but didnt. Looking back now i feel like a dumbarse.

Comment

Originally posted by Brentwalkertx View Post
                It was very irresponsible. I agree. I had just turned 18. Had never been to public land. First year ever. I had hunted before. But it was always on private land. And sitting at a feeder. I had gotten turned around and started to panic. Phone battery was getting low and didnt want to waste it. When i ran into the car it scared the tar out of me. I should have looked at what it was before i shot but didnt. Looking back now i feel like a dumbarse.

My freakiest public hunting experience was walking up on an truck in an area where no vehicles are allowed. When we got closer, there was a foot propped up on the window. There was a dude sleeping in there! We had no idea how he got there, and I doubt he did either. Truck was gone when we were done with the morning sit.

Comment

So ya wanna go pig huntin tonight!

Comment

Anyone know what these are? Deer eat them?

Comment

[IMG]Pic https://imgur.com/gallery/SK389[/IMG]

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jessebeaux View Post
                          No images

Comment

Not sure why images aren't showing up...

Comment

Who's going out this weekend?

Comment

I may give it a go...
                                Am I seeing that does are only to be takin thanksgiving only this year?

Comment

Working...
                                X