Terrell County Hunting 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang...

How many feeders you gotta fill? I hope to get there by 2 PM tomorrow. Hopefully I can have 5 of the 9 feeders done by 430 PM and get some time in for a hunt that evening.

Ya'll headed back home? That makes for along day from Shiner!

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
      How many feeders you gotta fill? I hope to get there by 2 PM tomorrow. Hopefully I can have 5 of the 9 feeders done by 430 PM and get some time in for a hunt that evening.

Ya'll headed back home? That makes for along day from Shiner!

We have 3 locations with 5 feeders.
      Yep...headed back now. Left at 10:30 last night, got there by 6, and should be back home in Shiner by 7 this evening. LONG DAY!!!....but worth it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just want to post about the difference expanding my feed pen made in Terrell County. We have a couple head of cattle on the place, a rogue goat or two, two devil horses, and a mega-ton of javelina. For those reasons we put pens around our feeders. For 2 years my pen was 24' square and there were about 10 muley and whitetail does as well as 5 or so bucks that visited it daily. Every once in a while a new buck would have a pic or two, but it seemed they were very skittish of the pens. This past July we expanded the pens to a 70' diameter oval and checked the cameras when we filled feeders 70 days later. All I can say is WOW! More does than I can count of both species and 15+ muley bucks with 2 WT bucks. What a difference space and feed makes. I am a little confused as why the whitetail bucks have disappeared as they were the bullies of the feed pen, but we shall see what happens over the next couple months. Maybe it was just too many muley bucks for them to deal with. No worries as the does will draw them in during the rut.
        If you are gonna go with a feed pen....GO BIG!

Comment

Terrell County Hunting 2016-2017

We are lucky, we do not need feed pens. A few javelina, but nothing else. We have lots of does and small bucks at feeders. Rarely see a shooter at one. Only at rut....love the rut

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Last edited by bps3040; 09-16-2017, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
            I just want to post about the difference expanding my feed pen made in Terrell County. We have a couple head of cattle on the place, a rogue goat or two, two devil horses, and a mega-ton of javelina. For those reasons we put pens around our feeders. For 2 years my pen was 24' square and there were about 10 muley and whitetail does as well as 5 or so bucks that visited it daily. Every once in a while a new buck would have a pic or two, but it seemed they were very skittish of the pens. This past July we expanded the pens to a 70' diameter oval and checked the cameras when we filled feeders 70 days later. All I can say is WOW! More does than I can count of both species and 15+ muley bucks with 2 WT bucks. What a difference space and feed makes. I am a little confused as why the whitetail bucks have disappeared as they were the bullies of the feed pen, but we shall see what happens over the next couple months. Maybe it was just too many muley bucks for them to deal with. No worries as the does will draw them in during the rut.
            If you are gonna go with a feed pen....GO BIG!

I'll bet it was fun driving those posts into that ground.

Comment

LOL.... it was quite challenging, but is stout once done!

Comment

I made it out Friday....

and was soooooo happy to be there, despite the 107 degree temp! The GF and I got several feeders topped off and then headed out to sit in a couple of stands. Lots of deer movement despite the heat. The country had dried out significantly and the deer were coming to the corn readily. Pulled the card from the camera at my feeder and found a couple of nice surprises.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Target#1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	24510747

My GF shot at a pig Saturday morning and missed. She saw a coyote as well. First one I've heard of on the lease in the last 6 years.

I went to pick the GF up after Sunday mornings hunt and my UTV died at her stand. No power, engine wouldn't turn over or anything. We were forced to push that darn thing about .10 of a mile down a rock strewn trail to get it to a place where I could get my truck in without pin striping it. Walked the mile and a half back to camp, got the truck and trailer and went back. Towed it back out, dropped the ramp, and pulled it back onto the trailer. I was soaked from seating. So was she. But, she was a real trooper and didn't hesitate when I said we gotta pus

Comment

A couple more...

[ATTACH]873103[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]873104[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                    and was soooooo happy to be there, despite the 107 degree temp! The GF and I got several feeders topped off and then headed out to sit in a couple of stands. Lots of deer movement despite the heat. The country had dried out significantly and the deer were coming to the corn readily. Pulled the card from the camera at my feeder and found a couple of nice surprises.

[ATTACH]873095[/ATTACH]

My GF shot at a pig Saturday morning and missed. She saw a coyote as well. First one I've heard of on the lease in the last 6 years.

I went to pick the GF up after Sunday mornings hunt and my UTV died at her stand. No power, engine wouldn't turn over or anything. We were forced to push that darn thing about .10 of a mile down a rock strewn trail to get it to a place where I could get my truck in without pin striping it. Walked the mile and a half back to camp, got the truck and trailer and went back. Towed it back out, dropped the ramp, and pulled it back onto the trailer. I was soaked from seating. So was she. But, she was a real trooper and didn't hesitate when I said we gotta pus
                    NICE bucks!

Any idea what's up with the ATV. That's a bad spot to be in out there...glad it worked out for ya.

Comment

Is there a Big Buck Contest in Terrell County?

Comment

Well, first of all its a 2006. I had just taken it in and had it serviced. He didn't fix the brakes (I found no brake fluid in the reservoir) and the parking brake isn't working right either, so I needed to bring it back anyway. I have no idea what happened. The ignition switch felt different when I started it Sunday AM. Then there was a weird grinding sound when in neutral that would go away when in forward or reverse. I pulled up to pick her up, turned the engine off, she loaded up, I turned the key and nada. Dash lights up but that's all. At first I thought it might be the started, but now I'm thinking it may be in the ignition switch.

Just kinda pizzes me off that I drug it all the way out there, had to drag it all the way back, and will have to drag it back out in a couple of weeks. I usually leave it in the barn/shed year round but bring it back to be serviced once a year.

I'm taking a hard look at replacing it after the season. I'm looking at the Can Am Defender either the SXS or the crew. I'm not fond of dropping 20K right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
                          Is there a Big Buck Contest in Terrell County?

Heck, there ain't any CIVILIZATION in Terrell County! LMBO! There might be one in Sanderson.

Comment

A couple more...

pics. I'm guessing the age in the first pic at 4.5-5.5. Second pic I thought was pretty neat.

Name:	Deer #5.jpg
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	24510808

Name:	Deer #4.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	24510809

I'm adding him to my hit list. He may be my bow target for the year. Still looking for that big 10 though.

Comment

Dang good looking Terrell Co buck right there....

Comment

I think these...

are two different buck. The big 8 in the night photo and the big 9 is running. I'll take a shot at either one if given the chance!

Comment

Working...
                                X