Recognizing Bucks from yr to yr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recognizing Bucks from yr to yr

Y'all know I'm not affraid to ask a dumb question so bare with me.

Is the ability to recognize bucks from yr to yr, something that is going to take time? I'm frustrated because I can't see any thing that resembles any of the better bucks I had last year. This is only the second year to hunt this place. I didn't have video last year, just trail cam pics. This year I have hours of video, so I am hoping that next year I should be able to recognize some of them. Right now they all look the same!

Yes, it'll take time. I'be been at it for 20 years and still learn every year.....and can still go back 3-4 years of pics and figure out a deer that I don't recognize this year.

Comment

Try and concentrate on the colors and body.
      Horns stay roughly same shape, but capes stay the same.
      It is nice to have the camera photos organized too on your computer.
      I don't.

BP

Comment

Yup very hard but look for specifics that usually don't involve horns, even though they help. Split ears, double throat patch, no throat patch, white spots, or just about any physical appearance will help.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

I also look at browtines- shape, length and location of them on the beam. Like posted about look for body markings or characteristics. I also look at the ears, face, throat patch, tail length/color, white markings on hooves or legs. Some bucks just have a "look" that is easily recognized from year to year.

Comment

It takes time.. There are almost always some really unique characteristic on a deer if you look at him enough. One thing I have struggled with is saving pics of two and three year old deer that are unremarkable. then at seven he blows up and I have heck placing him. its a fun game though.

Comment

All god tips here. Abnormal antler characteristics come and go year to year but they are dead giveaways and make it easy when they are noticeable. Scars on the body, legs, ears, and the white spots all mentioned above. As Texashunter56 said markings on the legs and above the hooves and the "look". Some deer look like they are wearing socks because they have more white above the hooves. Some deer have a "look" a particular pose, posture, and stance that give them away. My dad always ask my brother and I how we keep up with all these deer and their names from year to year. For me it's one of the most fun parts of hunting. It takes history with deer and a lot of pics and sightings but you will get the hang of it and a lot of the times there may be doubt in the back of your mind , "is that the same deer from last year ???"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Even if you have been doing it for a while, history really helps a lot. Just seeing a lot of different bucks over several years helps a lot. This buck was on a ranch I had just started working on in late winter of 2006. The first 2 pics are from late November of 2005. The last 2 pics are from October of 2006. Having only seen the buck that previous year when I was visiting the ranch and took the pics, I had no idea it was the same buck in the pics from Oct 2006. He changed a little from one year to the next. I knew the age class was right from what I thought was a 6 to a 7 yr old but the antler shape, tines, tine length and NT points was throwing me off. Could never find a buck that looked like the buck in the 2005 pics on TC's in 2006. I could not find a buck in 2005 TC pics that looked the buck in 2006 either. We had a hunter kill the buck in November of 2006. To try to figure it out we took DNA from the one shed found in Spring 2006 of the buck and then DNA from when he was killed. It was confirmed it was the same buck.
                Last edited by texashunter56; 01-10-2018, 09:01 PM.

Comment

This buck had a NT point at 2 that was a good antler characteristic to find him with in later years. He had facial markings that were distinct also. He always stayed in the same general area all summer and into late October on TC all 4 yrs I had taken pics of him. I would see him regular a 2 yr old when hunting in that area. Then from 3 on it was for one week or less in late October that I would see him to take a few pics and he left that area. He was rarely seen in person after that week till the next year in TC pics. I think I had seen him 5 or 6 times total in person from when he was 3 to a 5 yr old. He was 5 in the last pic. Same area and same routine, only he was killed two days after the pics were taken at 5 yrs old. It was the first time he was seen that year in person and not seen again till two days later.
                  Last edited by texashunter56; 01-10-2018, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Beautiful deer, he aged a lot in the face and saggy skin. That one year made a big difference. Seeing them side by side and knowing it's the same deer I can see the some resemblance but nothing that is a giveaway. Thanks for sharing TH56.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the replies, that makes me feel better. This is not a knock against East Texas at all! But going from a paper company hunting club, to a lease in West Texas is a little overwhelming! From "hey thats a shooter! Better get the shot off" to having multiple bucks in the feed pen almost on a daily basis. Now the challenge is making the correct choice management wise.

Comment

Working...
                      X