Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR - Teniente Bow Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
    That place is very thick and easy enough to build a blind.
    I was under the impression that you couldn't do anything with the foliage as far as cutting/building a blind?

I'm thinking of going the Ghost Blind route. I backpack hunt elk out west so I have a Kifaru for hauling gear and meat. Figure I can strap the GB to the pack and it would be easy enough to walk in with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman8 View Post
      I was under the impression that you couldn't do anything with the foliage as far as cutting/building a blind?

I'm thinking of going the Ghost Blind route. I backpack hunt elk out west so I have a Kifaru for hauling gear and meat. Figure I can strap the GB to the pack and it would be easy enough to walk in with it.
      Thats a good idea

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Check craigslist you can find tripods for less than a $100

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman8 View Post

Correct, don't cut the trees/underbrush. I was kinda in a rush when I wrote that reply. I usually just hunker down under a good tree, nothing says you can't stomp down the high grass under the trees. Kinda like what you would do if you posted up a pop-up blind under a tree. There use to be a ton of nilgia there, haven't been in a couple of years. The whitetail were OK, I never really saw any does and the bucks were desent for public ground. I use to hunt on the place to the east before the old man was killed. More nilgia killed than deer on his place.

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
            Correct, don't cut the trees/underbrush. I was kinda in a rush when I wrote that reply. I usually just hunker down under a good tree, nothing says you can't stomp down the high grass under the trees. Kinda like what you would do if you posted up a pop-up blind under a tree. There use to be a ton of nilgia there, haven't been in a couple of years. The whitetail were OK, I never really saw any does and the bucks were desent for public ground. I use to hunt on the place to the east before the old man was killed. More nilgia killed than deer on his place.
            I've noticed in the past that Nilgai tend to hang around open plains. I saw on google earth that farm fields surround the area. Is it better to hunt along the edges of the property that are closest to the fields or would I have better luck hunting the tall grassy areas that they bed in?

Comment

Boundries

Originally posted by jakefromtx View Post
              [ATTACH]871160[/ATTACH]

I got this map emailed to me after buying the permit and as y'all can see, the boundaries on the right side extend past what they sent. Does anyone have a full map with the boarders clearly defined?
              That is the map of the refuge: ""BUT" it is not correct... The finger over to the East is out of limits, That is protected area and no hunting is allowed there. Look carefull and you will see the signs on that area. most of them are down or leaning.

Comment

I went with TBHer rwkiel for the nilgai hunt last year @ teniente, you can PM for his advise. From my experience the landscape (outside of the "lake" bed bottom) is extremely dense. There are some relatively easy to spot choke points from the road, but you'd be hard pressed to find a line of sight longer than 50 yards.

If there's water in the lakebed then I'd be camped near openings to the water as there were lots of tracks. Bring a thermacell, because the ticks are THICK, you will get covered in them if you spend much time stationary on the ground.

Comment

I got drawn for this hunt in early December last year. I too live 5 plus hours away. So my scouting was by map also.
                  I took my ground blinds with me but found the best oppertunities based on the terrain and vegetation was to spot n stalk. I kicked up several Bilbao hogs and deer this way and while wasn't able to stick anything successfully it was a good hunt.
                  Just be prepared for the wind. Last year I got winded out the last 2 days of the hunt with gusts in the 30mph range and blowing steady in the low 20s.
                  Also may not be a big as deal in January but I still saw a few snakes in December. So snake boots or guards may be good idea for packing list.

Comment

I've noticed in the past that Nilgai tend to hang around open plains. I saw on google earth that farm fields surround the area. Is it better to hunt along the edges of the property that are closest to the fields or would I have better luck hunting the tall grassy areas that they bed in?
                    I saw big au last year in the middle of the park and towards the boundary. They do seem to cross that back road onto private quite a bit with evident trails and I saw a bunch of rubs right off the roads last year as well.
                    I spot n stalked and kicked up a fair number of nigai deer and hogs. The nigai tend to be a little flighty like WT. but it's doable. Just keep a sharp eye out n go slow n quiet

Comment

Hey y'all, I just got drawn for the Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR - Teniente Bow Hunt, 1/4/2018 - 1/7/2018. I live about 5 hours away so it's not very convenient to go check it out. From what I've read, it looks like it's mainly thick brush and tall grass. Older forums say that a tripod is the way to go. Anybody know of any good tripod brands that won't break the bank? Any information or tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
                      Jake

We got drawn for the same weekend... This will be our 3 year to hunt out there. We always talk about taking a tripod but always just hunt on the ground in the brush

Comment

a couple years back a TBH sent me a video of a homemade trypod. Cant remember who he was but all it was, was a 6-8' ladder and he put a boat seat on top of it.

Comment

Originally posted by j_chaserman1 View Post
                          I got drawn for this hunt in early December last year. I too live 5 plus hours away. So my scouting was by map also.
                          I took my ground blinds with me but found the best oppertunities based on the terrain and vegetation was to spot n stalk. I kicked up several Bilbao hogs and deer this way and while wasn't able to stick anything successfully it was a good hunt.
                          Just be prepared for the wind. Last year I got winded out the last 2 days of the hunt with gusts in the 30mph range and blowing steady in the low 20s.
                          Also may not be a big as deal in January but I still saw a few snakes in December. So snake boots or guards may be good idea for packing list.
                          When you spot and stalked, did you ever run into other hunters? From google earth, it doesn't look that big for how many hunters will be there but then again I've never been out there to see what it's like.

Comment

When you spot and stalked, did you ever run into other hunters? From google earth, it doesn't look that big for how many hunters will be there but then again I've never been out there to see what it's like.
                            More than likely you will.

Comment

We will be there for the first hunt in Dec. We got drawn for 2 hunts last year there. When I have a little more time I'll sit down and give more info. Here is my buddy and the Nilgai he took.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

No I didn't see or run into any other hunters while out there. I thought the same thing but boots on ground proved otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                                X