No announcement yet.

LBJ Grassland 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone able to ID this fruit? Almost think it's a plum haha.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jessebeaux View Post
      Anyone able to ID this fruit? Almost think it's a plum haha.
      Do you think this might be it:

Mexican plum
      Prunus Mexicana

Natural Organic Gardening and Living information, advice and recommendations.

Comment

I'd have to see more of the plant/bush. But I've always called them wild plums if it's what I think. They grown in thickets sometimes. Deer love them. So dose everything else including rodents. And snakes sometimes hang around them for the rodents.

They taste pretty darn good too, when fully ripe. But have a large seed in the middle.
        When not ripe, they can be sour.
        Last edited by Texas Grown; 08-20-2017, 10:44 AM.

Comment

If you find the plums, you've found the pigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I made about 10 or so 1/2 pints of wild plum jelly out of wild plums from LBJ this year.

Comment

Went out on Saturday and ran into Jessebeaux while scouting. Nice to meet ya by the way.

Saw a lot of these plums up and down the creek bed. Tried one once I got home and felt confident I knew what I was eating, very tasty. Still a little bitterness on the skin though.

Also found these in the creek bed though I'm not sure what they are. Anybody know?

Then found some large poop that at first I thought was hog but now I' m pretty sure it's deer scat. Had several piles in a row of varying freshness over about 100 yards. Set up a cam on it to see what's coming and going.

Jumped two deer, well one I watched bound across the grass in front of me, the other I heard so it could have been something other than a deer I suppose.

Comment

Some shots from a cam I've got in another unit. Doe with two fawns. Encouraging how many fawns I've seen this summer. They are everywhere. I've seen almost as many fawns as I've seen does. Got some pigs run through too.

Again, no bucks. Just can't understand how or why I'd see so many deer and no bucks on my cam. Surely the are getting out of bed and eating. Surely they eat the same things in the same places as does. Like I said I see a lot of fawns so I know the boys are out there. And this cam location, like every other one I've set up in has last years rubs all over the place. So what in the hell are these old boys up to from April to August?? Guess I'll find out at some point, part of the learning curve.

Again, fun trip out last Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by drycreek View Post
                  Went out on Saturday and ran into Jessebeaux while scouting. Nice to meet ya by the way.

Saw a lot of these plums up and down the creek bed. Tried one once I got home and felt confident I knew what I was eating, very tasty. Still a little bitterness on the skin though.

Also found these in the creek bed though I'm not sure what they are. Anybody know?

Then found some large poop that at first I thought was hog but now I' m pretty sure it's deer scat. Had several piles in a row of varying freshness over about 100 yards. Set up a cam on it to see what's coming and going.

Jumped two deer, well one I watched bound across the grass in front of me, the other I heard so it could have been something other than a deer I suppose.

Rusty Blackhaw

Comment

Scat pics 1 & 4 & 8 are hog scat.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                      Scat pics 1 & 4 & 8 are hog scat.
                      What do you think about pic 5 and 6? Bunch of pellets surrounding a larger clumped together log of pellets. Could/would that be deer/a buck?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

I'd agree with TG, largest are hog. See what it tastes like?

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                          Rusty Blackhaw
                          Thanks! Any good to eat?

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                            I'd agree with TG, largest are hog. See what it tastes like?
                            Somebody told me the male's taste like chocolate and the female's like vanilla but really it just tasted like ****.

Comment

Originally posted by drycreek View Post
                              Thanks! Any good to eat?
                              Never heard of anybody eating one so I doubt it. Some of the pictures with pellets jamed together are deer. The larger ones are hogs. It's not a buck or doe thing. It's all about the diet. High protein fresh forage = clumps less palatable browse = pellets. That's why In the winter you won't see any clumped up.

Comment

I bumped this buck 2 weekends ago when I went to check the camera. Yall think the night buck is the same guy? I know the pics aren't blown up.

I ended up getting drawn for the Grapevine lottery, so I'll be spending most of my time there this season! I like the 20 minute commute versus 1 1/2 hours (so does the wife).
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by troy_w_7; 08-22-2017, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X