Testing Solar Chargers ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing Solar Chargers ?

I have some solar chargers on my feeders that are getting up there in age, roughly 8 years old. Some are starting to get clouded over look but really nothing that looks like corrosion. Is there a way to test the solar chargers to see if they remain fully functioning? Or do I basically just put new batteries in alll my feeders then monitor battery life to see if the chargers are doing their job? Thanks in advance for your responses.

I believe you can hook them up to a voltage meter on a real sunny day And see if it's puting out 12 volts

Comment

Yep, hook them up to a voltage meter and see what they are putting out. Also, shade/tree limbs, etc obviously hurt the output of the solar panel.

Comment

As stated above...

I use a volt meter and check mine every year. It should read more than 12 volts if its putting out correctly.

Comment

Testing the voltage will not tell you if they are good. You need to test the amps and that should be done with the sun hitting directly on the solar panel. 12V solar panels for feeders should be putting out between 90 and 150ma.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
            Testing the voltage will not tell you if they are good. You need to test the amps and that should be done with the sun hitting directly on the solar panel. 12V solar panels for feeders should be putting out between 90 and 150ma.
            My 12volt solar chargers usually read around 15volts in full sun on volt meter. I have never checked the ma output.

Comment

That sounds like a really good panel. The ones I've tested are putting out 60mA.

Comment

Most deer feeder panels are in the 1-2 watt range. Although, I have seen some higher, but not many.

Comment

Originally posted by hammer63 View Post
                  That sounds like a really good panel. The ones I've tested are putting out 60mA.
                  You probably only have a 1 watt solar panel then. They max out around 65ma. The 1.5 watt panels will max out around 100ma and the 2 watt panels around 150ma.

Comment

Originally posted by kornsqueezer View Post
                    My 12volt solar chargers usually read around 15volts in full sun on volt meter. I have never checked the ma output.
                    Just to state it again, just because your voltage is over 12V, it doesn't mean it is working properly. The only way to be sure is to check the amps it's putting out. I've tested many 12V solar panels that would test between 17V-20V yet they were not putting out near the amps they should and thus they were bad. For example in your case, your panel could be putting out 15+ volts but may only be putting out 10ma when it should be putting out 60+ma. That constitutes a bad solar panel.

Comment

You probably only have a 1 watt solar panel then. They max out around 65ma. The 1.5 watt panels will max out around 100ma and the 2 watt panels around 150ma.
                      You're probably correct but most I've bought don't advertise the mA output. So, what's a good brand or manufacturer of a 1.5 watt panel, if you know?

Comment

Just to state it again, just because your voltage is over 12V, it doesn't mean it is working properly. The only way to be sure is to check the amps it's putting out. I've tested many 12V solar panels that would test between 17V-20V yet they were not putting out near the amps they should and thus they were bad. For example in your case, your panel could be putting out 15+ volts but may only be putting out 10ma when it should be putting out 60+ma. That constitutes a bad solar panel.
                        How are you testing it? Is your battery fully charged or almost dead when testing?

Comment

I've never thought to test the amperage output. However, I have found voltage output to be a good proxy for whether they work or not. If full, direct sunlight a 6v panel should be putting out about 9 volts while a 12 volt panel should be putting out about 15v. Even in indirect sunlight those numbers should be about 7 and 13 volts. If you aren't getting those numbers, chunk the panel and get a new one.

LWD

Comment

As stated above you have to be putting out enough current to charge the battery. Voltage output is irrelevant.

You need a battery that is a bit drained and then put your meter in series with the + lead of your panel to the + terminal of your battery to test current output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

thanks for all the replies guys. this site is very helpful while lowering my self-esteem at the same time...

Comment

Working...
                              X