Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-07-2017, 01:39 AM   #601
mills650
Four Point

Lot of eye-opening stories here. Here's a couple more...

Good friend has a small HF place with exotics, and guides day hunts. He had an exceptional border collie that learned to bloodtrail. He's taking a couple bowhunters to their stands for the evening and they spot some hogs in a brushpile. They don't have a clean shot at the hogs and meanwhile the dog is circling the brushpile. He says hold on, I'll go back to the house and get my hog-hunting dogs. They don't wait. They arrow bounces off and hits the dog in the mouth, severing it's tongue. The vet had to put him down.

Another dog story I heard a couple weeks ago; landowner has 2 blue healers with bobtails and collars. Guest hunter from Dallas, a biology teacher, sees a coyote and shoots it. I'm sure you can figure out the rest.
mills650 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2017, 05:25 AM   #602
Doug's_Optics
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scissorhands View Post
this video cracks me up.

http://youtu.be/CmnFLk7Jlp8
I did chuckle a bit during this video, but its so terrible!

I really dont understand how some people can be so irresponsible, at least thats what I will call it! If I was not 200% sure and triple triple check what I am shooting at, then I would never take the shot. Thats all part of being a responsible hunter.

If someone is nice enough to invite anyone else to private land and let them hunt, then follow the rules, I really dont understand what is so hard about it. If not 200% sure of the target then its better to walk away and maybe get the chance to come back vs stealing from the land owner because they are irresponsible hunters.

Sorry - RANT OVER!
Doug's_Optics is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2017, 06:55 AM   #603
kevin01
Ten Point

About 5 years ago I took my wife and son hunting at my uncles place at mountain home. That morning I took my son out and we saw several deer and once one really nice doe cleared the others I told him to shoot and bam my son had killed his first deer. After everyone congratulated him my uncle asked if my wife would like to hunt that evening. She said yes she would like to try and take her first ever deer as well.
I was really excited since my son had gotten his first and now my wife was hopefully going to take her first as well. Since there were axis coming in we had the green light to take a wt spike or doe or an axis doe. That evening we had about ten axis come in and I looked them over with the binos and then told her which one to shoot. She pulled the trigger and I saw the axis drop and we were both very excited, that is until we got up to it and I see nubs under the skin. I felt horrible because she did a perfect job and I screwed up. I told my uncle what happened and he was fine with it and mainly just happy to see my wife and son both get their first deer the same day. I did take the hides and have them tanned . Learned a lesson that day to check and then recheck before the shot is taken.
kevin01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2017, 08:20 AM   #604
fishingsetx
Ten Point

Hunt In: silsbee and evadale, tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug's_Optics View Post

I really dont understand how some people can be so irresponsible, at least thats what I will call it! If I was not 200% sure and triple triple check what I am shooting at, then I would never take the shot. Thats all part of being a responsible hunter.

If someone is nice enough to invite anyone else to private land and let them hunt, then follow the rules, I really dont understand what is so hard about it. If not 200% sure of the target then its better to walk away and maybe get the chance to come back vs stealing from the land owner because they are irresponsible hunters.

Sorry - RANT OVER!
That video was faked.

Mistakes happen even when you are as careful as possible. Its the blatant disregard for the laws, rules, etc that I just cant understand. Especially when someone takes a shot at something that they arent 100% sure of like killing the heeler in the post above. No way in heck you could make that mistake if you knew your target. Sounds like an "I saw movement behind a bush" kinda deal.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain
fishingsetx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2017, 08:29 AM   #605
TKK
Ten Point

this is why all guest at our lease must sit next to a paying lease member. Does not guarantee a mistake will never be made but seldom does one happen when a lease member is with the guest. I have been on leases where guest got to sit by themselves and I cannot tell you how many mistakes were made.
TKK is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2017, 08:34 AM   #606
Encinal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Spite of Wife's Complaints

Had a guy last year that we trusted shoot his target buck high in the back with a bow and not tell us about it.

He then went on to shoot another deer.

Didn't find out until after he was gone and we found the first deer.

That's not really a mistake on his part, but a mistake on ours.

The Pope couldn't hunt by himself on my place now.
Encinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #607
160class
Ten Point

Hunt In: Catarina, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug's_Optics View Post

Sorry - RANT OVER!
It's a funny video, it's actually a prank though! The person who was suppose to shoot the buck really shot it and they were messing with either the biologist or one of there buddy's that wasn't there

Edit: I see someone already said that
160class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2017, 09:23 AM   #608
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinal View Post
Had a guy last year that we trusted shoot his target buck high in the back with a bow and not tell us about it.

Sounds expensive! How did that mistake work out for the trusted hunter?
MASTERS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2017, 09:56 AM   #609
Encinal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERS View Post
Sounds expensive! How did that mistake work out for the trusted hunter?
He isn't coming back.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:18 AM   #610
8pointer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher county

Quote:

I suspect that exact same thing happened on our place. Deer hunting brings out the shadiness in everyone!
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 12:52 PM   #611
fullsizeaggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Missouri, East TX

Just bringing this back up for the new season.
fullsizeaggie is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #612
DirtyDave
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
Just bringing this back up for the new season.
New Season, New Stories. Lets hear em!
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 02:51 PM   #613
Ishi&Elvis
Six Point

I was doing some work for a guy on the YO and of course there were exotics running everywhere. My boss was with me and he was friends with the owner. The guy asks my boss if he wants to kill some black buck does which he wholeheartedly says yes. He tells him to shoot as many as he wants, they have too many. He takes my boss to the blind and I'm still working and hear a shot, then another, then another, and one more to boot. The guy comes over and says "sounds like Kevin got into a mess of them". I've seen him shoot before, so I know if he shot 4 times he has that many kills. Sure enough, the owner goes to pick him up except he has 4 Axis does on the ground. Owner was not too happy with him, but was gracious enough to let it ride. He asked me if I was interested in shooting some and I said I would be. I was put into another blind and I knew I was not going to take anything but black buck. I sat there for about two hours and watched a parade of exotics file past me, sika, axis, fallow, elk and other stuff I didn't know the name of. No black bucks. I think the owner was a little relieved and I was sure hoping we would get called back to do some more work but it never happened. I asked my boss later why he shot the axis knowingly and he said "that guy has more money than he knows what to do with and what's the harm". I didn't work for that guy much longer.
Ishi&Elvis is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 03:03 PM   #614
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Some good reading here.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 03:38 PM   #615
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke

Quote:

Friend of mine had a guy shoot a 3yo typical 16 after he was specifically told not to shoot that deer if it came in.

I learned then that if I'm ever in the situation where I control who hunts somewhere, nobody sits alone.
adam_p is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 04:09 PM   #616
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

Years ago, I took both my BILs hunting on my granddads lease. Neither of them had ever shot a deer. Friday evening I get my 1st BIL on a bunch of does. Heís calm, heís cool, he shoots the biggest and oldest doe...cuz itís January and itís doe only season. Saturday evening I take the other BIL to sit in the same mesquite bush that backs up to a winter wheat field. On this evening, thereís doe and bucks everywhere. I picked out a nice doe about 50 yards away, he argues with me that he sees better. I said nope, you shoot that one. Heís not happy about the deer I chose and shoots a nice spike. Well, it really wasnít a spike, it was about a 3.5 year old buck...maybe 120-130?

I was upset. Have no clue why the idiot shot the buck, he knew it was doe season...it had been discussed on the 4 hour ride to the lease. I walked up to the deer, shook my head and started walking back to the trailer. He asked what about the deer? I said leave it, letís go.

In retrospect, I should have called it in to the warden. I just didnít want to have to deal with the wifeís family for the rest of my life. I still feel bad, should have handled it differently.

Fast forward 17 years later. That BIL has still not hunted my property...and never will.
Shinesintx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 04:52 PM   #617
Encinal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
Friend of mine had a guy shoot a 3yo typical 16 after he was specifically told not to shoot that deer if it came in.

I learned then that if I'm ever in the situation where I control who hunts somewhere, nobody sits alone.
Two people that don't know each other have a conscience.

Having the guide really doesn't say anything about the feelings we have about the hunting chops of the client. When you aren't going to shoot a deer, you have a different perspective.

Ive had guides go kill a deer for themselves and screw up because they got excited.

It's funny how the brain works. You cannot be an unbiased judge of deer and be hopped up on adrenaline. It's impossible.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #618
UrbanBuck
Eight Point

Hunt In: DCNF, SHNF, CROCKETT

I'd have told him to pack his **** and leave. Don't care if he was a customer or not.
UrbanBuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 05:05 PM   #619
8pointer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinesintx View Post
Years ago, I took both my BILs hunting on my granddads lease. Neither of them had ever shot a deer. Friday evening I get my 1st BIL on a bunch of does. Heís calm, heís cool, he shoots the biggest and oldest doe...cuz itís January and itís doe only season. Saturday evening I take the other BIL to sit in the same mesquite bush that backs up to a winter wheat field. On this evening, thereís doe and bucks everywhere. I picked out a nice doe about 50 yards away, he argues with me that he sees better. I said nope, you shoot that one. Heís not happy about the deer I chose and shoots a nice spike. Well, it really wasnít a spike, it was about a 3.5 year old buck...maybe 120-130?

I was upset. Have no clue why the idiot shot the buck, he knew it was doe season...it had been discussed on the 4 hour ride to the lease. I walked up to the deer, shook my head and started walking back to the trailer. He asked what about the deer? I said leave it, letís go.

In retrospect, I should have called it in to the warden. I just didnít want to have to deal with the wifeís family for the rest of my life. I still feel bad, should have handled it differently.

Fast forward 17 years later. That BIL has still not hunted my property...and never will.
I know it was not your fault in any way, but I would not have left that deer.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:08 PM   #620
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pointer View Post
I know it was not your fault in any way, but I would not have left that deer.
Totally agree with you. Like I said, I should have handled it differently...but it was 17 years ago. Looking back, I think I wanted to punish him for being an idiot...which made me the idiot for leaving the meat.
Shinesintx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 05:16 PM   #621
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke

Quote:
Two people that don't know each other have a conscience.

Having the guide really doesn't say anything about the feelings we have about the hunting chops of the client. When you aren't going to shoot a deer, you have a different perspective.

Ive had guides go kill a deer for themselves and screw up because they got excited.

It's funny how the brain works. You cannot be an unbiased judge of deer and be hopped up on adrenaline. It's impossible.
I agree.

That is my favorite part about trail cameras, I've usually already made a decision on whether I'd shoot a deer or not bases on pics.

But every year we have deer show up that I don't recognize, I just haven't had one that tested me yet.

It is hard when you know your neighbor will shoot the deer, but that is the gambles we have to take. I think I've already lost one this year.

I lied, I think I have one guy aside from my brother who I can 100% trust to not shoot a young deer. He is also the only person I trust enough to share pics with.

Last edited by adam_p; 11-14-2017 at 05:20 PM..
adam_p is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 06:08 PM   #622
dbwilson
Six Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Stephens, Africa, Colorado

We had an incident at our family ranch about 10 years back. The ranch is owned by my granddad on my dads side and typically just me, my dad and granddad hunt the ranch each year. Well one year my step granddad on my moms side who does not hunt asked if his best friend from Ohio could come down and hunt. We agreed to let him come down to hunt and it happened to be opening weekend when he was in town. My dad drove out with them the Friday before and explained the Texas hunting regulations to them and asked that the friend either shoot 1 buck and 1 doe or 2 does as the country regulations at the time stated 1 buck and 2 doe per year. We also requested that he not shoot any of our trophy deer and went over what we considered to be a trophy. Saturday morning my dad puts both of them in a blind and then heads to his. Shortly after shooting light he hears a gun shot from their direction, then a few minutes later another, then another, then ten minutes later another, and finally a few minutes after that a 5th gunshot. My dad assumed they had shot one got out of the stand to trail it and it hopped up so they shot at it some more. He began to walk to their blind to see if he could help find the deer. When he got to the blind he found the obnoxious friend dragging up the last of the 5 deer he had shot that morning. The obnoxious friend who was not sorry at all told my dad he hadn't shot his gun in a while and when the deer didn't fall he just assumed he had missed each shot. He then looked at my dad and said well I guess I will have to use some of your tags for my deer since I only have three tags and 5 deer (2 of which were bucks and a 3rd that was a nub buck with antlers breaking the skin) My dad looked at him and told him he was on his own and didn't care of the game warden caught him and gave him a ticket. I arrived later Saturday morning with my grandfather on my dads said and they told me the story of his wonderful hunt which he was not the least bit sorry about killing 5 deer that morning. We made it very clear he would never be invited back to the ranch under any circumstance but he actually had the balls to ask my grandpa the next year if he could come back again! We explained to my step granddad who does not hunt that his friend had taken advantage of us and would never be back again but that he was welcome anytime. Lesson learned from this is make it very clear to guest they must go search for a deer anytime they shoot.
dbwilson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 06:52 PM   #623
BIGTERRY75
Ten Point

Hunt In: Van Zandt, Bosque, Rockwall

We have a new rule at our place.
No Guest hunts without one of us in the blind with them.
BIGTERRY75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 07:02 PM   #624
WBT
Eight Point

Hunt In: Stephenville

It's hard to fathom a guest having such little respect for the gracious person that invites them on a hunt. I'd be absolutely livid in such a situation. Especially if it was someone I considered a friend. I've spent a ton of money buying and improving my ranch, and to have a guest come out there and do something like this? It's incredible.
WBT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 07:19 PM   #625
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBT View Post
It's hard to fathom a guest having such little respect for the gracious person that invites them on a hunt. I'd be absolutely livid in such a situation. Especially if it was someone I considered a friend. I've spent a ton of money buying and improving my ranch, and to have a guest come out there and do something like this? It's incredible.
It is extremely hard for me to wrap my head around it. I helped guide on a ranch for a friend for the last few years when they've had more hunters than guides. One year they were killing all of the native deer. I had the green light on Sunday evenings to go kill native deer. I wasn't fortunate enough to have any step out, but I'd rather be invited back to guide than to take advantage of the green light and shoot something I knew was off limits. I just don't get it
TxDispatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 07:31 PM   #626
8pointer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinesintx View Post
Totally agree with you. Like I said, I should have handled it differently...but it was 17 years ago. Looking back, I think I wanted to punish him for being an idiot...which made me the idiot for leaving the meat.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:44 PM   #627
bobc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico

Iíd say the BIL clogging the toilet and then leaving the feces behind on the floor thread going on right now would fit the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bobc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 07:54 PM   #628
6.5 shooter
Six Point

We had a brother in law of a lease member last year shoot a 2.5 yo 10pt and was told to only shoot pigs. He’s never allowed back on the ranch and the lease member lost his trophy for this season.
6.5 shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 08:00 PM   #629
Ryan81
Eight Point

Hunt In: NE Texas, Oklahoma

The nerve of some people amaze me. It's simple... No what the target is and follow landowner rules. I'm hunting a nice place in OK that my cousin invited me to. I pay nothing but my license, corn and help out with other things. He told me he has one target buck and I respect that since it's my first year. It will be hard to pass on it but I will unless he gives me the okay.

Not me but a family member. They have a nice deer herd for the area... They hand corn year round and have 20 +/- deer in their yard daily. He typically lets some guys over each year on thanksgiving weekend to shoot a doe. His rule is no bucks, they put corn in the feeders on the back of the place and I don't think he hand corns then. Last year a few bucks were killed so guests aren't allowed this year. I'm sure I could kill a doe if I wanted and may just do it.

I don't have any good stories. I usually hunt by myself or with other responsible hunters.

Ryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 08:16 PM   #630
TxAg
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbwilson View Post
We had an incident at our family ranch about 10 years back. The ranch is owned by my granddad on my dads side and typically just me, my dad and granddad hunt the ranch each year. Well one year my step granddad on my moms side who does not hunt asked if his best friend from Ohio could come down and hunt. We agreed to let him come down to hunt and it happened to be opening weekend when he was in town. My dad drove out with them the Friday before and explained the Texas hunting regulations to them and asked that the friend either shoot 1 buck and 1 doe or 2 does as the country regulations at the time stated 1 buck and 2 doe per year. We also requested that he not shoot any of our trophy deer and went over what we considered to be a trophy. Saturday morning my dad puts both of them in a blind and then heads to his. Shortly after shooting light he hears a gun shot from their direction, then a few minutes later another, then another, then ten minutes later another, and finally a few minutes after that a 5th gunshot. My dad assumed they had shot one got out of the stand to trail it and it hopped up so they shot at it some more. He began to walk to their blind to see if he could help find the deer. When he got to the blind he found the obnoxious friend dragging up the last of the 5 deer he had shot that morning. The obnoxious friend who was not sorry at all told my dad he hadn't shot his gun in a while and when the deer didn't fall he just assumed he had missed each shot. He then looked at my dad and said well I guess I will have to use some of your tags for my deer since I only have three tags and 5 deer (2 of which were bucks and a 3rd that was a nub buck with antlers breaking the skin) My dad looked at him and told him he was on his own and didn't care of the game warden caught him and gave him a ticket. I arrived later Saturday morning with my grandfather on my dads said and they told me the story of his wonderful hunt which he was not the least bit sorry about killing 5 deer that morning. We made it very clear he would never be invited back to the ranch under any circumstance but he actually had the balls to ask my grandpa the next year if he could come back again! We explained to my step granddad who does not hunt that his friend had taken advantage of us and would never be back again but that he was welcome anytime. Lesson learned from this is make it very clear to guest they must go search for a deer anytime they shoot.

I would have called the law on him
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 09:23 PM   #631
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tamplias Chiwawa, Mejico

Many years ago I had some doe hunters out at a place I guided on. About 9 pm I thought I heard gunshots. Several gunshots.

I didn't give it much thought until the landowner/outfitter calls me and chews me from one end to the other. One of our hunters observed a mulie buck stuck in the fence on his way out of the ranch.

He being the good person decided to take it upon himself to take it out of its misery. Several problems though. It was night time and most importantly it was NOT our property. Easment rights is all we had on that part of the road. Neighbor was 2 kinds of ******.

I advised him to call the GW. Common sense is not so common anymore.
CrookedArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 11:08 PM   #632
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

Just spent a ridiculous amount of time reading this whole thread. There are a lot of idiots out there, and a lot of selfish people who have no issue taking advantage of the generosity of others.
bullets13 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 12:34 AM   #633
RifleBowPistol
Six Point

Hunt In: South Tx, Hill Country, Panhandle

So many of these stories sound very familiar. We used to take a lot of people hunting for about 15 years, we saw all types of crazy crap. We had many people show up, talking about how many deer they had killed, how they were very ethical hunters ect. Heard those stories many times.

What they did not know, is we always cleaned out blinds after someone hunted in a blind, even if someone did not hunt in a blind, we still checked them regularly, because after taking many people hunting on this one ranch, that was way off of a 14 mile long dirt county road. You had to drive through five other large ranches to get to the place, it was surrounded by a 22,000 ac. and a 18,000 ac. ranch. But after having taken many people hunting out there, we started seeing signs of someone hunting in blinds we had not put anyone in. So we made it a point to check all the blinds regularly. We eventually determined for sure, someone was coming out and hunting during the week, we were not there. Eventually we caught one guy, he lied his *** off. He got his *** chewed severely and got to meet the game warden and Sherriff. We found he added a lock to our chain and the chains on each of the other gates you had to go through, to get to the ranch.

But of the guys that we actually took out to hunt, many times we would have guys tell us, they never saw anything. After we had heard a shot or shots coming from the direction of the blind they were in. We would have guys all over the ranch. Each person would report back as to where they heard shots come from. We all knew where every blind was. So when someone shot, each of us knew most likely which blind the shot came from. But then we would all get together and compare notes and were then able to determine for sure which blind the shots came from. After the person in that blind would claim they had not seen anything. We would question them a little, then take them back to camp. Then we would go back to the blind they were in, check inside and 95% of the time, there would be one or more empty cases, of the same caliber the guy brought, that we had just had in the blind. So then we would go out looking for signs of a deer, that had been shot or shot at. Most of the time, we would find the spot where the deer had been standing, when it was shot or shot at. Then we would look for blood, hair or other signs it may have been hit. Then we would track it as far as we could. I would bet 70% of the time, we would find a dead deer within 100 yards of where the deer was shot. So we would gut the deer, load it in the truck and back to camp. Then get the guy out side, take him to the truck and show him his deer. 90% of the time, they would still claim, they had never fired a shot, some would get seriously ****** at us. Some would just swear up and down they never shot. A few would eventually admit they shot the deer. Some would admit they shot at a deer, but swear they did not hit the deer, likely they really had no clue.

Once we showed them their deer, we would load their gear up in their truck with their deer, tag their deer for them, with their tag and send them packing and make it very clear they were not welcome back. Some were understanding they made a mistake, others would be fuming mad. We did not tolerate any BS, we sent them down the road and made it clear they had better never show back up. The guy who did show back up and started poaching was one who did get highly ****** about getting kicked off of the place.

Yes, we had a guy from Dallas shoot a cow one morning, the same morning on the ranch next door, they had a guy from Dallas shoot a cow.

Many years later, I took my buddy hunting, his wife and brother in law. On that ranch, the game biologist, told us to shoot something like 37 doe the first year. We were only able to get about five people to shoot a doe. The second year, the game biologist told us to shoot 67 doe. We really pushed to get people to shoot doe. But they would shoot a buck and then claim they had no room in their freezer for any more deer. These same people would come out claiming they just were there to meat hunt, that they did not care if they shot a buck or doe, but then we could not get them to shoot a doe. We almost got to the point of either killing a doe and handing it to them or telling them they could only shoot doe or go home. But I never got the ok to do either.

So I take my buddy, his wife and brother in law out to hunt. Well the brother in law, said he wanted to shoot a buck, he wanted a big trophy buck. I told him that was not a option. he got ******. Well later when I took him to a blind and dropped him off, he wanted to make sure there were some big bucks in the area. I again made it clear, he was not allowed to shoot a buck under any circumstance. He got ****** again, then said he was going to shoot a buck. I made it clear his *** would be in a world of trouble if he did. At that point he pulled a knife on me. Then told me, I was going to let him shoot a big buck. I told him, he could put his knife away and take his *** home or I would introduce him to my 44 mag. He did not back down for a while. This was a difficult situation. His sister was my best friend's wife. Then his wife, was a woman, that was in my high school class. His sister was standing right there, when things got to the point, where I thought I was likely going to have to shoot him. He finally put the knife away. I took him back to camp and sent him home.

That was the last season we took people hunting, we had way too many problems those last two seasons.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 01:18 AM   #634
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Something about those dang Brothers in Law! Just crazy!
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 07:53 AM   #635
DTala
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradtiger View Post
Something about those dang Brothers in Law! Just crazy!
brother-in-laws are the devil. My wife has two brothers that are banned from ever setting foot on my property again.
DTala is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 08:09 AM   #636
WBA2000
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

I guess Iím kinda lucky! I have two brother-in-laws that wonít kill a fly. Donít have to worry about them hunting
WBA2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #637
bollomb
Eight Point

Hunt In: Trinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
So many of these stories sound very familiar. We used to take a lot of people hunting for about 15 years, we saw all types of crazy crap. We had many people show up, talking about how many deer they had killed, how they were very ethical hunters ect. Heard those stories many times.

What they did not know, is we always cleaned out blinds after someone hunted in a blind, even if someone did not hunt in a blind, we still checked them regularly, because after taking many people hunting on this one ranch, that was way off of a 14 mile long dirt county road. You had to drive through five other large ranches to get to the place, it was surrounded by a 22,000 ac. and a 18,000 ac. ranch. But after having taken many people hunting out there, we started seeing signs of someone hunting in blinds we had not put anyone in. So we made it a point to check all the blinds regularly. We eventually determined for sure, someone was coming out and hunting during the week, we were not there. Eventually we caught one guy, he lied his *** off. He got his *** chewed severely and got to meet the game warden and Sherriff. We found he added a lock to our chain and the chains on each of the other gates you had to go through, to get to the ranch.

But of the guys that we actually took out to hunt, many times we would have guys tell us, they never saw anything. After we had heard a shot or shots coming from the direction of the blind they were in. We would have guys all over the ranch. Each person would report back as to where they heard shots come from. We all knew where every blind was. So when someone shot, each of us knew most likely which blind the shot came from. But then we would all get together and compare notes and were then able to determine for sure which blind the shots came from. After the person in that blind would claim they had not seen anything. We would question them a little, then take them back to camp. Then we would go back to the blind they were in, check inside and 95% of the time, there would be one or more empty cases, of the same caliber the guy brought, that we had just had in the blind. So then we would go out looking for signs of a deer, that had been shot or shot at. Most of the time, we would find the spot where the deer had been standing, when it was shot or shot at. Then we would look for blood, hair or other signs it may have been hit. Then we would track it as far as we could. I would bet 70% of the time, we would find a dead deer within 100 yards of where the deer was shot. So we would gut the deer, load it in the truck and back to camp. Then get the guy out side, take him to the truck and show him his deer. 90% of the time, they would still claim, they had never fired a shot, some would get seriously ****** at us. Some would just swear up and down they never shot. A few would eventually admit they shot the deer. Some would admit they shot at a deer, but swear they did not hit the deer, likely they really had no clue.

Once we showed them their deer, we would load their gear up in their truck with their deer, tag their deer for them, with their tag and send them packing and make it very clear they were not welcome back. Some were understanding they made a mistake, others would be fuming mad. We did not tolerate any BS, we sent them down the road and made it clear they had better never show back up. The guy who did show back up and started poaching was one who did get highly ****** about getting kicked off of the place.

Yes, we had a guy from Dallas shoot a cow one morning, the same morning on the ranch next door, they had a guy from Dallas shoot a cow.

Many years later, I took my buddy hunting, his wife and brother in law. On that ranch, the game biologist, told us to shoot something like 37 doe the first year. We were only able to get about five people to shoot a doe. The second year, the game biologist told us to shoot 67 doe. We really pushed to get people to shoot doe. But they would shoot a buck and then claim they had no room in their freezer for any more deer. These same people would come out claiming they just were there to meat hunt, that they did not care if they shot a buck or doe, but then we could not get them to shoot a doe. We almost got to the point of either killing a doe and handing it to them or telling them they could only shoot doe or go home. But I never got the ok to do either.

So I take my buddy, his wife and brother in law out to hunt. Well the brother in law, said he wanted to shoot a buck, he wanted a big trophy buck. I told him that was not a option. he got ******. Well later when I took him to a blind and dropped him off, he wanted to make sure there were some big bucks in the area. I again made it clear, he was not allowed to shoot a buck under any circumstance. He got ****** again, then said he was going to shoot a buck. I made it clear his *** would be in a world of trouble if he did. At that point he pulled a knife on me. Then told me, I was going to let him shoot a big buck. I told him, he could put his knife away and take his *** home or I would introduce him to my 44 mag. He did not back down for a while. This was a difficult situation. His sister was my best friend's wife. Then his wife, was a woman, that was in my high school class. His sister was standing right there, when things got to the point, where I thought I was likely going to have to shoot him. He finally put the knife away. I took him back to camp and sent him home.

That was the last season we took people hunting, we had way too many problems those last two seasons.
Dang dude!!
bollomb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 09:20 AM   #638
DirtyDave
Ten Point

Quote:

Winner

The scene from Indiana Jones is playing in my mind right now.
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #639
Deathrow Jethro
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX in a High Fence

Quote:

If I were invited to help thin the doe herd, I would gladly shoot as many as you wanted me too. Can't believe the nerve of some people.
Deathrow Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 10:58 AM   #640
speck1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

These stories always amaze me. Where do these people come from and why do you allow them to hunt on their own? It takes about 5 minutes to get a feel for someoneís experience level. I take kids that are very good at judging what a mature deer looks like. I cannot imagine a guest purposely shooting something they were told not to. Those are the kind of people that can get you hurt. Honest mistakes can happen but I have no desire to be around anyone that canít follow simple rules. I did have a guy show up for a hunt with a 7mag and nothing but 270 shells for it. Also had a new guy on a south Texas lease that wounded multiple bucks with his new rifle. When I asked to shoot it, he said the gun shop put the scope on and sighted it in for him.
speck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 11:47 AM   #641
breederbuck33
Ten Point

My inlaws have a pretty good story in this category.

So my FIL invites his brother to come hunt their place down south. Pretty big piece of property that my FIL is on with 1 other person, so each person has plenty of tags to hand out. Being that there are not many members on the place the rules are very straight forward and easy to follow. If your a guest and you see a deer you can't live without, just say so and we'll see if we can make it happen! They had 3 real "Rules". The one major rule was that you DO NOT shoot a deer out of a truck under any circumstances! The second rule was that guest do not ride around by themselves without my FIL or one of his kids.

They had been on the place for 5 years at the time and they had befriended a buck named Billy the first year as a yearling 8 pt and he had kept coming to the camp for the next 4 years. You could call him and he'd run up to the truck. You could hand feed him and all that good stuff. But he was a 5 year old this year and he was on the prowl, and you never knew where he was going to show up. This deer is a typical 10 with split brows, scores in the mid to high 140s at this point. So the third major rule was that Billy is OFF LIMITS!

My wife went down to the ranch before me on Thanksgiving due to work, and I got a phone call as soon as she got there telling me I may not want to come down there because tensions were HIGH. Turns out FIL's brother took it upon himself to take his truck to ride around as everyone else napped and shot Billy.. Then had the nerve to come back to camp to wake everyone up to get them to help him load him up! He just said he shot a big 10. They didn't know it was Billy until they walked up to him. FIL was livid, they told him to kick rocks, and I personally haven't seen that brother sense then! Everyone knew Billy was off limits until he died naturally, he wasn't supposed to be in a truck by himself, and he broke the cardinal rule of not shooting a deer out of the truck. On a place with only 3 real rules to break he broke them all at once!
breederbuck33 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #642
TKK
Ten Point

simple fix to all of it - no guest allowed on the lease or in a stand without the paid member with them. We also limit the number of guest allowed - works well for us
TKK is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 11:56 AM   #643
kruppa24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Concho

Quote:
Originally Posted by scissorhands View Post
this video cracks me up.

http://youtu.be/CmnFLk7Jlp8
lmfao
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #644
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrow Jethro View Post
If I were invited to help thin the doe herd, I would gladly shoot as many as you wanted me too. Can't believe the nerve of some people.
No kidding! I wish someone would invite me out to kill a bunch of does 😂 My wife and kids love venison almost as much as me, we never have enough. I guess selfish people can't comprehend their good fortune
TxDispatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 12:35 PM   #645
fishingsetx
Ten Point

Hunt In: silsbee and evadale, tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruppa24 View Post
lmfao
That one is funny as heck, but waz also staged/fake.

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!
fishingsetx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 03:17 PM   #646
Gunswayne
Six Point

Hunt In: Fort McKavett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjjust View Post
Have one that not really a guest hunter and is more sad than stupid. Was on a youth hunt years ago at Kerr WMA and before the hunt they spent 30 minutes showing everyone what was and wasn't OK to shoot. They spent 10 minutes on one 2.5yr old with antlers messed up on one side they thought was probably damaged on early development. The other side was beautiful and they want everyone to leave it to see its potential next year. They showed pictures of it from every angle.

After the next morning hunt I was showing the biologists the video of a 13 pt 2.5yr old we passed on when a father/daughter show up with "the" buck we were all told not to shoot. The staff was none too happy. The dad showed us the video he was shooting at the time. What happened was 2 bucks walked out at same time. Daughter sees the off limits buck and is watching through scope and dad sees a mature buck and is watching through camera. Neither sees the other buck. You hear dad tell her to shoot it and hear her saying "but Dad! It's the wrong one". He says shoot it again and again she says "but Dad!" He tells her once again to shoot so she does and the buck in the camera doesn't fall and you hear the daughter say "I got it" and then start to cry and say it was the wrong buck. About this time the dad realizes what just happened and says "Oh No!!" and turns camera off. It was sad to see that deer taken too soon and to see that poor girl's hunt turn from joy to sorrow.
I was on that hunt with my kids as well. Thanks for filling in the rest of the story. We didn't get any of the details.
Gunswayne is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 03:42 PM   #647
ttu1997
Six Point

Hunt In: In your stand when you are gone

I was in the 8th grade and my Dad and I took two doe hunters out on the ranch. Both hunters bragged about their hunting prowess and past expeditions. Both hunters were over 45 yrs. I sat with the oldest (50-55 yrs old), he had a very nice browning semi-auto 270 with a nice scope. He dressed the part of a hunter who had hunted before. No long after sitting down a single doe walked out and I gave him the clear to shoot. The doe as approximately 75 yards away standing still and broadside with good day light etc. "Boom" gun goes off and the doe hunches up and stands there and before I could tell him he hit her in the gut, he shoots again and the doe walks a few feet and lays down not dead. I put my gun up and shoot her in the head to finish her off.

He is as proud as any hunter as we are walking up he looks at her and said "alright I hit her perfect, right where I was aiming." Not sure he picked up on my shocked look on my face. I dragged the deer off to a good place to gut it and as the guy laid his gun down and retrieved his knife, he looks at me and says, "I have never gutted a deer, do you mind showing me how" I looked him straight in the eyes and said "You better have a $100 dollar bill in you pocket, because you shot this deer twice in the guts"

He only barfed 3 times while I gutted his deer and yes he did tip me that $100. And as for his shots there were with in 2" of each other right square in the middle of the deer's belly.
ttu1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 09:43 PM   #648
ethic1
Six Point

Crazy stories!

ethic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 10:27 PM   #649
TexZ71
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonora, TX

A friend of mine went deer hunting on public hunting land. He got out there while it was still dark and got settled in to a spot he had picked out. The sun starts coming up and he can see some thing coming towards him. He claims he thought it was a coyote so he decides to shoot it. It drops and he wants to go look at his trophy coyote, he walks up on it to find that it's not a coyote, it's a Great Dane!!! Who mistakes a Great Dane for a coyote?!?! It had a collar on and everything. Story gets better, fast forward about 5 years later. A lady I was working with starts talking about her pets, and how she loves her Great Danes. Then she says that someone had shot one of her Great Danes about 5 years ago in a nation forest. I couldn't believe my ears! I bet my mouth literally hit the floor.

Last edited by TexZ71; 11-15-2017 at 10:29 PM..
TexZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 10:30 PM   #650
BBRU
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere....

Quote:

As soon as all weapons were out of reach, me and said BIL wouldíve rolling in the rocks.. The audacity of some these people is unbelievable
BBRU is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top