Target Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last 6 shots of 60.

This was the most shot up side of the target.

It held up well.

Rick
    Attached Files

Comment

Great idea!! If I ever wear out this Spyder Web target I think I'm going to get one of those next!! I almost got one when I bought my target, but I had just started shooting trad and needed a bigger target to stop those flyers lol.

Comment

Great idea Rick.

Comment

Game off....game on

I
          Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
          Rick,

Do you just foam up the deep cavities and then trim the target back to shape after the foam expands everywhere?

I was thinking along the same lines of what you did but my target is still in pretty good shape. I used to use the layered and compressed foam sheet targets and once they are gone there isn't much that I can think of that can be done to repair them. The present target is a Block and appears to have been molded. It has been a pretty robust target.
          60Deluxe...what Ive done with my sheeted foam target was throw a ratchet strap around it and crank down ever so often. Sucks when my fliers knick the strap...however hasnt blown apart yet. My 307fps Darton compound was blowing through it after the second shot and burying arrows to the fletchings.

My next target will be a foam one and Ive been avoiding buying 3d critter targets because of the foam replacement costs. Thanks for the target rehab info Rick.
          Last edited by Briar Friar; 05-01-2017, 10:38 AM. Reason: FoamSpake

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
            Last 6 shots of 60.

This was the most shot up side of the target.

It held up well.

Rick
            you need to repair that bucket next.

Comment

I hate to see that the Blob people would not return an email to Mr. Kinkaid. I was thinking about getting one of those myself.
              Mr. Barbee has done one heck of a job on this repair.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                you need to repair that bucket next.
                That bucket has taken some devastating hits for sure.

Buy me a couple rolls of the wide Flex Tape, and I'll fix it.
                No, it won't take anywhere near two rolls to do the job,
                but it never hurts to have some extra on hand.

Rick

Comment

Use gloves! The foam is not going to come off hands. Ask me how I know.....

Comment

Been doing it for years on my 3ds. Some of them 6-8 years old.I foam ,trim, file with rasp,paint with elastmeric paint then touch up noses, inside ears, beards, hoofs, etc with different colored spray paints. It takes a while when you have twenty -thirty. Arvin

Comment

H
                      Last edited by DWA; 07-16-2017, 02:35 PM.

Comment

I need to do this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Say, could a fellow just take a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with this stuff as a D-I-Y target from the get go? Grease the sides of the bucket real good, fill it up, slide the foam out, and have an instant target?

Comment

I have a Blob target they work great.

I have repaired other targets as Rick did. Works great.

BTW my son shoots a compound now. He shoots that exact target like Rick's at 100 yds. Wise ***.

Comment

Trumpkin, I have heard of others doing that, but I haven't tried it for myself. I did try filling a busted up styrofoam cube with expanding foam and shooting it. I did not compress the foam at all and it does not stop the arrow the same as making it more dense by compressing during expansion. If you go with the bucket idea I would try to make sure I put a weighted lid on the top and fill it up.

Comment

'Great Stuff' canned spray foam (Lowe's or Home Depot...get the type for filling wide cracks) does work well for repairing 3D targets...as stated above simply clean out the bits of foam from the damaged midsection, tightly wrap completely around the midsection (i.e. completely around the target) tightly with Saran Wrap (like 4 or 5 times) to seal up the cavity, punch a hole or three through the plastic big enough for the can's foam 'straw' to fit through, put some DISPOSABLE GLOVES on (this stuff sticks to anything and doesn't come off!), and fill up the target cavity with the foam. You may need 2 or 3 cans for typical deer-sized targets (roughly $6/can). Move the tip of the foam straw around in the cavity (thus the need for several holes punched into the plastic) for best coverage. It will expand significantly with 15-30 minutes and swell outward into the plastic wrap to fill the voids.

Wait at least a day before removing the now bulging wrap so the foam can fully dry, and then trim the bulged out sections to shape. Painting is optional.

This works on shot-out large blob targets too but you'll need more cans of foam, maybe 5 or 6. For blobs (or any really large cavities) it's best to partially fill the cavity with some rolled-up sheet foam or something similar first, to help fill the space up, stiffen the cavity and reduce the number of cans of foam you'll need.
                                Last edited by Retsbew; 07-22-2017, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X