Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aggieman08 View Post
    http://www.marromeusafaris.com

Hands down the best place I've found. Never been but a buddy and I have it seriously planned in the future. True Africa, 500,000 acres with no fences.

Bows are so efficient today that you can get by with 70-80 lbs assuming that you shoot a well constructed heavy arrow like a grizz stick tipped with an Ashby broad head.
    You weren't kidding about that video . Breathtaking, thanks for posting!

Comment

Great video, amazing close up shots with I assume a drone.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
        You weren't kidding about that video . Breathtaking, thanks for posting!
        No problem, I've talked to Anton a couple of times at HSC and DSC and he is very confident about getting it done with a bow on foot. He has a couple of hunters per year do it. Many hunters kill them with double rifles with him and the range is limited to 50-60 yards. Lastly, Tim Wells killed one on foot that was sleeping in the reeds with a spear.

I have talked to a lot of people about the very hunt your dad is wanting to do and these guys were the top of the list..... roughly 15k for a 10 day free range cape hunt including trophy fee in Mozambique is a steal.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by LuBowhunter View Post

Nice Buff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond S View Post
              I shot the one in my profile pick with a 70lb 29 inch draw 950 grain total weight arrow.

I hunted with Adansonia safaris
              I was with him

This is why I said it would be fine as long as they were ok with the setup

Comment

Nice Buff

Comment

The correct combination of a bow set up you are confident in, the right arrow/broadhead combination for what you are going to hunt such a Cape Buffalo and the correct shot placement will do the job. Not a lot of guys on here could pull 80#'s I would think. I know some can, but I know I can't so for me if an outfitter recommends 80#'s for a Cape Buffalo hunt, I would have to pass. I have never hunted one but hopefully in there near future if not this coming summer and I will be going with 70#'s and an arrow approaching 800 grains with a Tuffhead single bevel 220 grain head that will be double footed for better strength at the front end. This is what my PH said would work for him.

Comment

The video was cool, had no idea sable traveled in such large herds. We put a 2000.00 deposit on a hunt years ago, and have kinda forgotten about it.

Comment

It is both feasible and ethical to archery hunt for a cape buffalo with as little as 65lbs. of draw weight provided that you have the right combination of total arrow weight, FOC, and the right broadhead. The 80lb. draw recommendation is an outdated minimum that was the rule of thought before we realized the physics of momentum, heavy FOC and their direct relation to penetration.

I have seen several cape buffalo taken in recent years with compound and traditional bows in the 65-75lb. range. The key is an arrow built to at least 950 grains with an FOC of 20% or greater and a forged steel, 2-blade, single bevel broadhead..... You can't get caught up in the slow fps. Arrow speed is not the key in this application. These heavy arrow set-ups generate a crazy amount of momentum and perform amazingly well.

Comment

Originally posted by firehunt fish View Post
                        It is both feasible and ethical to archery hunt for a cape buffalo with as little as 65lbs. of draw weight provided that you have the right combination of total arrow weight, FOC, and the right broadhead. The 80lb. draw recommendation is an outdated minimum that was the rule of thought before we realized the physics of momentum, heavy FOC and their direct relation to penetration.

I have seen several cape buffalo taken in recent years with compound and traditional bows in the 65-75lb. range. The key is an arrow built to at least 950 grains with an FOC of 20% or greater and a forged steel, 2-blade, single bevel broadhead..... You can't get caught up in the slow fps. Arrow speed is not the key in this application. These heavy arrow set-ups generate a crazy amount of momentum and perform amazingly well.
                        Yep, I did mine with 73 pounds and a 950 grain grizzly stick tipped with a single bevel Massai.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm confident he can shoot in that 70-73 lb range and get some big time arrows set up.

Comment

I've never hunted a cape. But I do look and research arrows for that type of hunting. I would look into a bishop broadhead. I would look at Alaska bowhunting grizzly stik shafts. Like already posted build it around 900 gn. With as much foc that is possible and keep arrow with great flight. Foc I'm talking about is mimimum of 20%

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                              Yep, I did mine with 73 pounds and a 950 grain grizzly stick tipped with a single bevel Massai.
                              Perfect set-up!

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                              I've never hunted a cape. But I do look and research arrows for that type of hunting. I would look into a bishop broadhead. I would look at Alaska bowhunting grizzly stik shafts. Like already posted build it around 900 gn. With as much foc that is possible and keep arrow with great flight. Foc I'm talking about is mimimum of 20%
                              Bishop broadheads are a great choice, as are the Helix's.... There have been past concerns raised with the broadheads from Grizzlystiks in regard to the steel used being too brittle resulting in cracks and chinks in the steel. Grizzlystik has supposedly addressed and corrected this by changing their forging process.

That said, we have had several clients use Grizzlystik broadhead and arrow combinations with great success. We have also seen good results with the Easton FMJ DG arrow. They also offer a customize-able brass insert capable of giving you really high total arrow weights and high FOC's above 20%. Arrows built with weight tubes are not the best choice because they don't offer the ideal FOC weight distribution. The FOC is just as important as the total arrow weight with these set-ups.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm confident he can shoot in that 70-73 lb range and get some big time arrows set up.

I just happen to have several of the arrows (never shot ) I had made for my cape hunt, along with broad heads ( Never shot ) that I could let go of for a fair price.

Comment

Working...
                                X