Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-23-2017, 10:14 AM   #201
MathewsCreedATX
Nubbin' Buck

yall check out the Double FF ranch 30 minutes past Sonora High school for guided hunts in low/high fence. Trophy WT, axis, black buck, oryx, ram, red stag, gemsbock, fallow, pigs, turkey, sika. Check out some of their pics on the website!

ffhuntingranch.com
MathewsCreedATX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2017, 10:25 AM   #202
daniel044
Six Point

Hunt In: Sonora, TX

I shot this one in the same area down past the high school about 15 minutes down the road on our old lease. Seen him on camera once and got him the next morning. Had some good mass on him.

We leased a new place this year about 10 minutes west of town and have seen 2 axis in velvet already but were super young. I have heard there were no exotics west of town, I was super surprised to see those guys out and about.
Attached Images

daniel044 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #203
STICKIT
Six Point

Hunt In: Hill Country and S. Texas when I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
Nice axis! We are heading out tomorrow mid day to hunt turkey and axis.
Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
STICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2017, 06:47 AM   #204
TexZ71
Ten Point

I'm slow to join the thread this year! Some nice axis, congrats.
TexZ71 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2017, 10:05 PM   #205
IAFFHunter18
Four Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Sonora
Default West

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel044 View Post
I shot this one in the same area down past the high school about 15 minutes down the road on our old lease. Seen him on camera once and got him the next morning. Had some good mass on him.

We leased a new place this year about 10 minutes west of town and have seen 2 axis in velvet already but were super young. I have heard there were no exotics west of town, I was super surprised to see those guys out and about.
10 min west of town? Relly.. where abouts? We saw some off of the caverns road cutting through to our lease. Thats cool hearing they are moving that way.
IAFFHunter18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2017, 08:25 AM   #206
daniel044
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAFFHunter18 View Post
10 min west of town? Relly.. where abouts? We saw some off of the caverns road cutting through to our lease. Thats cool hearing they are moving that way.
We are about 1 mile exactly east as the crow flies from the caverns. I was really surprised myself. Landowner also told me he has seen black bucks roaming the area as well.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #207
IAFFHunter18
Four Point

That is awesome. We are seeing some black buck in the area also. From what I have heard about them, they tend to not travel very far though...The dern auodad are spreading worse than fire ants lol.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:22 PM   #208
IAFFHunter18
Four Point

How's the shed hunting in the Sonora area?? Anyone been out?
Old 03-28-2017, 08:29 PM   #209
daniel044
Six Point

I'll be up the weekend of April 8th. See if I can get me a turkey or 2. Also be looking for some sheds.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:10 PM   #210
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

I walked and rode a lot the past 4 days at our place and didn't find any sheds but all the bucks I saw lost their antlers recently. Saw some axis, a lot of whitetail and turkeys. Hogs are thick too! We reduced the hog population by at least 8-12 this weekend.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2017, 11:13 PM   #211
DuckDogTrainer
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over

Just got a place about ten miles south of Sonora on cr405. Anyone know much about the area?
DuckDogTrainer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2017, 06:20 AM   #212
daniel044
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckDogTrainer View Post
Just got a place about ten miles south of Sonora on cr405. Anyone know much about the area?
Welcome to the area! I posed in your other thread but you should expect great hunting. Exotics, hogs, turkeys, great whitetail are all over the area. If you are new to the area the big whitetail bucks typically do not start showing their selves until around first weekend in December. It may be slow during November but dont get discouraged as December has always been the best month for seeing big deer.

Ive been hunting the area going on 14 years so if you ever need anything give me a shout. I can try to help out.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:21 AM   #213
daniel044
Six Point

With all the Sonora hunters on TBH we should set up a Sonora TBH Hunting Lunch/Dinner and do a meet and great. Maybe a lunch or dinner at the steak house for starters. Would be great to put some faces to names.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:35 AM   #214
IAFFHunter18
Four Point

^^For sure. Im in
Old 03-29-2017, 07:29 AM   #215
Sackett
Pope & Young

Quote:
With all the Sonora hunters on TBH we should set up a Sonora TBH Hunting Lunch/Dinner and do a meet and great. Maybe a lunch or dinner at the steak house for starters. Would be great to put some faces to names.
I'm in. Speaking of eating places in Sonora, how is that Steakhouse just on the Northside of I-10? Anywhere else have decent eats? I liked the salsa at the Mexican place next to Sonic, but that was about it. We won't go to town much, but when we do I'd like to eat somewhere decent.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:37 AM   #216
daniel044
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I'm in. Speaking of eating places in Sonora, how is that Steakhouse just on the Northside of I-10? Anywhere else have decent eats? I liked the salsa at the Mexican place next to Sonic, but that was about it. We won't go to town much, but when we do I'd like to eat somewhere decent.
Thats about it bud. Those are the only 2 places I ever eat at as well. Mexican food is great but if its packed I would expect a long wait and the steakhouse is pretty good. They have a lunch buffet which is always great. We rarely eat in town as well unless we are running to town for supplies/feed.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:53 AM   #217
TexZ71
Ten Point

Y'all are talking about La Mexican, that's where we eat if we are in town. The steak house used to be better. There's a little Mexican diner close to the feed stores, it was called Maria's then closed and has reopened, I haven't been there since it reopened. They had pretty good food.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:59 AM   #218
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Smith and Sutton County

Quote:
You can get a hotdog at the Stripes on the South side of I10 that you can stretch to twice it's original length without breaking it.

I like the small Mexican place that has the little buffet. I always just eat the buffet and it's usually pretty tasty. If you go in there beware of the salsa they sell in mason jars up front. It will take the paint off your car and make smoke come out your ears.
BowSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2017, 09:12 AM   #219
Preacher Man
Eight Point

Hunt In: Jasper & Sutton Co.

Quote:
I'm down with a meet and greet
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2017, 09:19 AM   #220
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Im not quite in Sonora like most of you guys but would certainly want to do a meet up.

(Also just did a name change)
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2017, 09:23 AM   #221
daniel044
Six Point

We could probably all do a meet up in October as most people should be around the area at that time. I know lots of us go during the off season but its so sporadic it would be hard to make good plans that work for everyone.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:24 PM   #222
mexico70
Six Point

Hunt In: Sutton co.

Ranch foreman said we got an inch of rain lastnight and just as much hail !
mexico70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2017, 07:34 PM   #223
Ag_Attack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton/Val Verde/Edwards

We got .62", not sure about hail. Hope no one had too much damage.
Ag_Attack is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2017, 07:49 PM   #224
daniel044
Six Point

Our lease owner ran down to our place this morning and said we got 3/4 of inch rain and wind. He didn't report any hail damage thank god.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:53 PM   #225
taylormade820
Six Point

IN!
taylormade820 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2017, 08:09 PM   #226
ColinR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

Going with a friend to chase the spotted deer this weekend on the south side of 10. Sunday I'll head over to my place and check for any storm damage and game cams.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2017, 01:34 AM   #227
txfirefighter_04
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonora

I was up there this past Wednesday when the storms came through pretty sure we got more hail then rain lol got just enough rain to knock down the dust. But I'll take every bit we can get
txfirefighter_04 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2017, 04:12 AM   #228
Tree Phantom
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lake Striker area

Picking up the grandkids and leaving this Friday. Filling feeders and will look for some sheds and maybe some turkey feathers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tree Phantom is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2017, 07:21 PM   #229
mexico70
Six Point

Foreman said we got 1.5 inches Saturday night ! We're heading that way Thursday or Friday just have to see how the next few days play out. Who else is going to fill feeders or chase Thunderchickens !!
Old 04-03-2017, 07:40 PM   #230
daniel044
Six Point

Me and my pops will be up Thursday morning. Got to put 2 blinds up, set a storage building, put out a protein feeder, fill feeders, and then hopefully have time to kick back and do some hunting.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:48 PM   #231
mexico70
Six Point

Quote:
Me and my pops will be up Thursday morning. Got to put 2 blinds up, set a storage building, put out a protein feeder, fill feeders, and then hopefully have time to kick back and do some hunting.
Good luck to you and your pops ! Y'all don't work to hard ! And what ever you do don't forget to have fun !
Old 04-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #232
mexico70
Six Point

Killed one tom , one rattlebug and 12 coons ! Filled feeders and found a bunch of sheds ! Everything looked good and had a great weekend. My son did shoot a tom with his bow , had a clean pass thru and followed a decent blood trail for 50yrds and never did find him. That was just some words I never thought I'd say in the same sentence. "Followed a decent blood trail on a tom for 50yrds and never found him " wasn't sure that was possible but it is . Tried to upload pic of tom but it wouldn't allow me to I'll try again later. Anyone else have any luck?
Old 04-11-2017, 08:13 PM   #233
jeffpg
Ten Point

Hunt In: All of USA & Africa

I went out there for some turkey hunting and camera checking a few weeks ago and had a great time. Took a nice tom with my bow and filled feeders but the Axis I want to take hadn't finished growing out yet.

I'm stuck in Minnesota on a job right now. We got some snow and 32 degree temps last night. I look forward to getting back out to Sonora in about a month.

Meet & greet sounds great, and if I'm not off working somewhere I'm in!
jeffpg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2017, 08:32 PM   #234
daniel044
Six Point

Was out this past weekend. Saw a big Tom but he slipped away before I got on him. Worked my butt off rest of the weekend. Got 2 blinds setup, setup my spartan camera, got protein feeders going, did some tree trimming, and installed a water well pump and ran pipe to our trailer. . Did kill one rattlesnake. I came home sore and wore out. Office life has killed my manual labor days
Old 04-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #235
mexico70
Six Point

Finally got it to work ! Not my biggest but he sure tasted as good as any !
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #236
The Cajun
Six Point

Wanted to post this up in case any of you will be in the area. It's my first time attending and looks like it may be a great way to meet surrounding neighbors. One of the main officers in charge of this event is the land manager of the ranch I hunt in Sonora. Last year he said they had around 150 ranchers attend so should be a good turnout. On a similar note, I recently became part of a drone aerial mapping company that produces high resolution and accurate maps for landowners. We will have a booth set up that will provide information about our drone services and examples of the maps we've created. Feel free to come stop by and introduce yourself! Below is a link to the event. Registration ends April 14th. Look forward to meeting some of yall there!

http://today.agrilife.org/2017/03/28...s-neighboring/

Registration page : http://sonora.tamu.edu/events/herita...stead-habitat/
The Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2017, 09:26 PM   #237
IAFFHunter18
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico70 View Post
Finally got it to work ! Not my biggest but he sure tasted as good as any !
Nice bird, congrats!!!
Old 04-18-2017, 09:33 PM   #238
Sackett
Pope & Young

Family and I were at the lease Sunday-Today. Shot some hogs, Bushhogged some areas and had a great time EXCEPT when we went into town to eat at Maria's which happened to be the only place open Monday. Save yourselves some time, money and legs falling asleep on the toilet! Can't even start to describe how awful the food, service and cleanliness of the place. I know its Sonora and Not Houston/Dallas, but I won't step foot in that place again.

On another note, area was green, green, green! We didn't see much Axis at all on the trail cams the last 2-3 weeks. Not sure if they moved on or didn't care for corn now that they had plenty of Browse?
Old 04-18-2017, 09:45 PM   #239
mexico70
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAFFHunter18 View Post
Nice bird, congrats!!!
Thanks !
Old 04-19-2017, 06:56 AM   #240
daniel044
Six Point

Quote:
Family and I were at the lease Sunday-Today. Shot some hogs, Bushhogged some areas and had a great time EXCEPT when we went into town to eat at Maria's which happened to be the only place open Monday. Save yourselves some time, money and legs falling asleep on the toilet! Can't even start to describe how awful the food, service and cleanliness of the place. I know its Sonora and Not Houston/Dallas, but I won't step foot in that place again.

On another note, area was green, green, green! We didn't see much Axis at all on the trail cams the last 2-3 weeks. Not sure if they moved on or didn't care for corn now that they had plenty of Browse?
Thanks for the heads up, we were going to try that place next time we went up. Now we wont.

I didnt see any axis either last time we went up. So maybe they are just not moving that great right now.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:13 PM   #241
TexZ71
Ten Point

Just got back from Sonora, everything is still green.
Saw two Coachwhip snakes and found a few sheds.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:15 PM   #242
DuckDogTrainer
Ten Point

Shot three hogs this week and filled up feeders.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:26 PM   #243
Stolle
Pope & Young

This guy stopped by for a drink.

Think we should cull him
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2017, 10:01 PM   #244
Ijumpwakes
Nubbin' Buck

New Sonora hunters for this year as well. Well, in between junction and Sonora, up fort mckavett road a few miles. Looking forward to getting out of east Texas and back to the good side of Texas 👍👍
Ijumpwakes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2017, 11:18 PM   #245
mexico70
Six Point

Dang Stolle !! That's a toad !!
Old 04-26-2017, 12:11 AM   #246
DuckDogTrainer
Ten Point

Quote:

Think we should cull him
What a beast!
Old 04-26-2017, 05:49 AM   #247
daniel044
Six Point

Quote:

Think we should cull him
One behind him looks just as good. I would be taking off work right now and heading to sit in the blind lol
Old 05-01-2017, 08:33 PM   #248
Stolle
Pope & Young

This guy showed up this morning.

Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2017, 08:45 PM   #249
Sackett
Pope & Young

Oh Muh Gawd! That is a massive Axis!
Old 05-02-2017, 07:31 AM   #250
IAFFHunter18
Four Point

Definately a cull and sounds like you need help!! Just kidding both are really nice axis.