Wild onions: Anybody else eat them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild onions: Anybody else eat them?

Just wondering if I'm the only one that takes advantage of them when they come up in the spring. If I get enough, I freeze what I can't use right away.

Picked em fresh in Alaska on the riverbank and ate them with fresh killed caribou. Had fresh picked blueberries for dessert. Killer meal. Onions made the meal.

Comment

I've cooked with them before.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
        Picked em fresh in Alaska on the riverbank and ate them with fresh killed caribou. Had fresh picked blueberries for dessert. Killer meal. Onions made the meal.
        That sounds amazing!

Comment

I grow them (wild onions)

Comment

Just finished digging these up and washing them off. What doesn't get consumed over the next couple days will either be frozen or dried and chopped. The chives will be frozen and saved for various dishes.

Fish are bite-n. And there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!
            Attached Files

Comment

Rocky thought he was getting wild onions but it was actually some plant called "crow poison". Said he wished he would die a couple of days just to get some relief, said he had never been that sick

Kind of broke me of wanting to try any "wild onions"

Comment

The flat along the river behind the house is covered in them. I dig them all year here.

Comment

I see how you are now, you talk about how good they are while we're cooking fish and then go home and pick a mess. You need to pick em before Bownanza next year and bring some with you!

Comment

Great to cook with and a mild substitute for garlic.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                      Rocky thought he was getting wild onions but it was actually some plant called "crow poison". Said he wished he would die a couple of days just to get some relief, said he had never been that sick

Kind of broke me of wanting to try any "wild onions"
                      I've heard about that stuff. I think I'll stick to HEB onions for now.

Comment

Ok guys it's reaaaaallllly easy to identify wild onion. You pick it, then smell it. If it smells like onion, then it's safe. Crow Poison does not smell like onion even though it looks similar. True for any onion or garlic variant. The truth is in the smell.

Comment

Thank you Kevin!

Tmag, maybe next year if they are up in time.

Comment

Wild Onion - Smells like onion

Crows Poisen - Does not smell like onion

Wild Onion 101

Comment

If at any point you guys are in east Texas you are welcome to come by my house and pick them to your hearts content.... Right now when I mow my yard the onions are so bad that my eyes start burning and I have to take a break... Dang things are almost as bad as OC...

Comment

Working...
                              X