No announcement yet.

Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like "Sugar Busters" diet from NOLA in the 90's. Cut out carbs that turn to sugars and cut out all the sugars...........worked like a charm for me. Now when I need to cut back I just take carbs and sugar out of my food intake and I start to loose weight again.

Comment

What ADA and AMA recommends is being proven wrong in study after study, but more than that are the people like myself who stopped eating the way every health care professional says we should and removed the carbs, sugars, and artificial food resembling substances to lose over 40 lbs., not need medicines to stop the pain from rheumatoid arthritis and just feel good again. Not going to tell anyone that one is better than the other for them, but I know what is better for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pilgrim View Post
        Can someone give some insight on the Keto Flu?

The time period when your body is switching from glucose reliance to ketone reliance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Heathbar_tx View Post
          Ketosis is never good for your body!
          Not sure where you got this from, but please share. I've taken my share of science and Patho related classes have seen no proof that being in ketosis is bad for you. Keto acidosis is no good, but that's taking it to the extreme.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Comment

Diets themselves usually don't work long term. Adjust your eating habits and exercise so you burn more calories than you take in. You will lose weight. The math is simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhogboy View Post
              Diets themselves usually don't work long term. Adjust your eating habits and exercise so you burn more calories than you take in. You will lose weight. The math is simple.
              Yep and the diet/eating plan someone can stick to is the best. If they can do the traditional low fat then, good for them. Same with keto. It's as simple as that.

Comment

Based on my readings and personal experience, it's during the transition when people are underestimating the electrolytes they need. If you ensure you get plenty of magnesium, potassium and sodium, and drink plenty of water, you'll be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhogboy View Post

Someone skipped the reason I'm no longer simply "adjusting my eating habits and exercising so I burn more calories than I take in" anymore. That's what I was already doing.

Your diet is simply what you eat. How does a diet not work long term? Is this from assuming they will be abandoned once the goal is reached? If the change is permanent, I don't really see how the diet would stop working.

Comment

I went on the keto diet Feb 2016 and have lost 100lbs since then. I am definitely healthier than I was and that is probably mostly due to the weight loss. The way keto helped me was I was able to stick to it and control my portions, which has always been troublesome for me.

Currently I am still on it, and probably will be for a bit longer as I strive for my goal self. Will I stay on it long term? Maybe, maybe not....I REALLY miss beer.

Comment

Originally posted by TRH View Post
                      I went on the keto diet Feb 2016 and have lost 100lbs since then. I am definitely healthier than I was and that is probably mostly due to the weight loss. The way keto helped me was I was able to stick to it and control my portions, which has always been troublesome for me.

Currently I am still on it, and probably will be for a bit longer as I strive for my goal self. Will I stay on it long term? Maybe, maybe not....I REALLY miss beer.

That's awesome! Keep it up

Comment

I've been doing Keto since the New Year and dropped about 20lbs. You can use the MyFitnessPal and track your macros by percentage to see if your hitting your fat goals.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                          I'm 172.8 today, and goal is 155. Not doing it quickly, just ending up there at some point.
                          Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                          Someone skipped the reason I'm no longer simply "adjusting my eating habits and exercising so I burn more calories than I take in" anymore. That's what I was already doing.

Your diet is simply what you eat. How does a diet not work long term? Is this from assuming they will be abandoned once the goal is reached? If the change is permanent, I don't really see how the diet would stop working.

Why do you feel you need to go from 172 down to 155? What is driving you to do that? Honestly, that is not a ton of weight to lose; and I wouldn't be in a hurry to get there unless you got a boxing or wrestling match coming up.

The reason I ask is because I have been "fit" at many different weights in my lifetime. As an endurance athlete racing road bikes, I have been 160lbs with skinny freaking arms, and thunder thighs with 3% body fat and able to race 100+ miles at 20+ mph pace. I couldn't do a pull-up, but I could sprint on a bike at 30mph+ going up hill. Getting down to my clinical ideal weight for my height of 155lbs would be stupid. I also have been 175lbs and able to do P90X workouts without much trouble; I wasn't as snappy riding in the hills, but I wasn't racing either. I had a nice upper body, could do pull-ups, etc. I considered 175lbs to be my ideal weight for general fitness and strength - a far cry from the 155 on paper that my height should be at.

Normally, what I've seen from my buddies, is if they are not hitting their ideal weights and are heavy is because they are "skinny fat." Meaning they are thin, but just don't have the metabolism to support what they want to do. They lost weight, but are weaker. A lot of them lost weight on these paleo, or non-fat, or atkins style diets too.

I am not saying you are there, but I am curious where the 155 number comes from? I know I'll never hit my ideal BMI-crap-weight of 155. I will target to get down to 175 if I am strong.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                            Why do you feel you need to go from 172 down to 155? What is driving you to do that? Honestly, that is not a ton of weight to lose; and I wouldn't be in a hurry to get there unless you got a boxing or wrestling match coming up.

The reason I ask is because I have been "fit" at many different weights in my lifetime. As an endurance athlete racing road bikes, I have been 160lbs with skinny freaking arms, and thunder thighs with 3% body fat and able to race 100+ miles at 20+ mph pace. I couldn't do a pull-up, but I could sprint on a bike at 30mph+ going up hill. Getting down to my clinical ideal weight for my height of 155lbs would be stupid. I also have been 175lbs and able to do P90X workouts without much trouble; I wasn't as snappy riding in the hills, but I wasn't racing either. I had a nice upper body, could do pull-ups, etc. I considered 175lbs to be my ideal weight for general fitness and strength - a far cry from the 155 on paper that my height should be at.

Normally, what I've seen from my buddies, is if they are not hitting their ideal weights and are heavy is because they are "skinny fat." Meaning they are thin, but just don't have the metabolism to support what they want to do. They lost weight, but are weaker. A lot of them lost weight on these paleo, or non-fat, or atkins style diets too.

I am not saying you are there, but I am curious where the 155 number comes from? I know I'll never hit my ideal BMI-crap-weight of 155. I will target to get down to 175 if I am strong.

My strength has dropped slightly on some lifts but continue to increase on others while on keto. I'm not worried about my strength now because a caloric deficit is not an ideal intake for strength gains.

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
                              My strength has dropped slightly on some lifts but continue to increase on others while on keto. I'm not worried about my strength now because a caloric deficit is not an ideal intake for strength gains.
                              Carbs are kinda important in muscle recovery if you want to see strength/endurance gains while running a deficit.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Google Herxheimer Reaction, that'll explain better than this bunch of rednecks can.

Comment

Working...
                                X