Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a good laugh from that too!

Comment

A good way to get diabetes from what I hear too.

I have lost 27 lbs in 11 weeks on my diet of steak, potatoes, cereal, bread, fruit, etc.

It is called eating less, moderate exercise, and... nope thats it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Me and my wife started 3 weeks ago. I'm down 14lbs and I will say I've done a lazy keto. I had a few French fries and a couple of beers this weekend and it hadn't affected me much. Guess I'm more low carb but trying to stay fully keto. It's the easiest diet I've ever done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post

I have lost 27 lbs in 11 weeks on my diet of steak, potatoes, cereal, bread, fruit, etc.

Their are also reports of Type 2 diabetics requiring less or no meds for DM, while on keto.

Comment

How when glucose and insulin levels are maintained constantly. It has the opposite affect and actually helps with diabetes

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
              Their are also reports of Type 2 diabetics requiring less or no meds for DM, while on keto.
              Originally posted by cpr1979 View Post
              How when glucose and insulin levels are maintained constantly. It has the opposite affect and actually helps with diabetes

Always, always, always read the references and fine print.

Losing weight helps with Type 2. So as long as you are losing weight, almost no matter how you are doing it, it will help.

The diet pretty much shuts down that function of glues/insulin... but that isn't necessarily a good thing. When you rebound, it will be pretty harsh. So while on the fad diet, to lose weight and you return, you will find yourself in trouble. You gotta look at long term, not just the short term "my pants fit!"

I have yo-yoed, but in all cases it was not because of what I ate, but how much I ate. I'll always be a fat guy trapped in a skinny man's body.

I have met more people who have had lots of short term weight loss gains and quick bounces on those kinds of diets than anybody else. Well, except the no-fat folks.

It is just my opinion, and not really up for arguing it, is that you really need to figure out where it is you want to be and how it is you want to eat... long term. If you want to be like artic folks and eat a high fat/meat diet the rest of your life... go for it! but if you want to eat pizza, fried food, steak, bread, fruits, etc long term, then crash diets like this will not work. You have to learn how to eat in moderation. Period. And you need to adopt an active lifestyle that will support the amount of food you want to eat.

Truth is carbs get you moving, and moving leads to exercise... and exercise combined with protein will keep your muscular, which lets you eat even more.

Any diet site and plan that is advocating their method is only going to point out the results that help them. Yeah it is short term great for Type 2 Diabetes, but long term, I think there is plenty of evidence that taking an unbalanced approach will hurt you long term.

Comment

Can't believe "bulletproof coffee" wasn't brought up here. Cup of that in the morning keeps me full until lunch, just know ahead of time-it's not as bad as it first sounds-adjust to your taste preference- the cream off of canned coconut milk helps the adjustment.

Comment

Best advice on this thread period. I di my weight loss the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                    Can't believe "bulletproof coffee" wasn't brought up here. Cup of that in the morning keeps me full until lunch, just know ahead of time-it's not as bad as it first sounds-adjust to your taste preference- the cream off of canned coconut milk helps the adjustment.
                    It was...in the second comment

I hate the misconception that has been attached to the word diet these days. There are too many "diets" out there that have ruined what "diet" really means. As Swamp stated, you need to make a long term (i.e. Lifetime) dietary plan and stick with it. Bouncing up and down weight wise, jumping from one "diet" to the next, gorging one month, starving the next...it ain't good for you. I weighed 180 when I was 20. Got up to 300 when I was 30. Now I stay around 240-245. I would prefer to be around the 220-225 area, but I find that with moderate intake, decent amount of exercise, and a fairly consistent dietary plan, 240-245 is where it's at for me. I can't handle the joint pain from sports in my youth that comes with intense exercise. So it is what it is

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
                      Originally posted by cpr1979 View Post

If you understand diabetes you will understand what Swamp is saying. Ketosis is never good for your body! Well balanced meals and smaller but more meals are the best for you body and that includes carbs. Another thing to try and do is cut out bad carbs ans substitute with good carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Heathbar_tx View Post
                        If you understand diabetes you will understand what Swamp is saying. Ketosis is never good for your body! Well balanced meals and smaller but more meals are the best for you body and that includes carbs. Another thing to try and do is cut out bad carbs ans substitute with good carbs.

I do understand what he is saying and I understand the effects of ketones on the body for both diabetes and nondiabetics. My body feels better and works better on this eating plan. That doesn't mean I will not have carbs or some good quality adult beverages but not in the volume or frequency that I once did. My reflux is gone, blood pressure is down, weight is down, energy is stable, no crashes and no more over all GI issues. And I do keep my blood work monitored.

Comment

I normally stay out of these discussions, but there is a HUGE piece of misinformation that is going to drive me nuts.

Cells burn glucose. Period. That is all they burn. Cellular metabolism burns glucose.

Where that glucose comes from, and how cells obtain it varies. But you cannot change the simple fact, that cells burn glucose.

Comment

Originally posted by Heathbar_tx View Post
                            Ketosis is never good for your body!

Ketoacidosis is never good for your body...
                            Ketosis is not ketoacidosis. It can be maintained in a healthy way, and does have documented benefits. Like any specialized diet, your own personal health needs to be evaluated and monitored.

My portion control, and caloric intake have been reduced into "deficit" levels for a while based on my active lifestyle. Although I am at an "acceptable" point, i haven't reached my goal. I have dealt with a lack of energy, headaches, hunger, and "weak trembles" off and on if meals aren't perfectly timed. My job doesn't allow perfectly timed eating habits, which is the crutch of a glucose based diet, but where ketogenic diets excel.

Any diet I decide to stick to needs to be something that will be permanent. Your "healthier" recommendation is something I have decided I don't want to deal with permanently. If it is between reducing my health and having to deal with all that... I'll just let my health decline some.

Instead, I decided to try another approach.

Comment

Originally posted by twobittxn View Post
                              I normally stay out of these discussions, but there is a HUGE piece of misinformation that is going to drive me nuts.

Cells burn glucose. Period. That is all they burn. Cellular metabolism burns glucose.

Where that glucose comes from, and how cells obtain it varies. But you cannot change the simple fact, that cells burn glucose.
                              Gotta love your glycogen stores.

Comment

Can someone give some insight on the Keto Flu?

Comment

Working...
                                X