Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 12-16-2016, 12:00 AM   #51
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

I drew blood on a giant!!
Attached Images

Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2016, 12:05 AM   #52
Pedernal
Pope & Young

JK it's a spike. I know some people will frown on it but I will be eating good!

Will share what I saw today as far as activity at some point tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2016, 02:39 PM   #53
justletmein
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public lands

Nice! That looks like a legitimate spike to me.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2016, 03:05 PM   #54
Bowhuntamistad
Pope & Young

Congrats man!!!!
Bowhuntamistad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2016, 08:01 PM   #55
Frederick D. Be
Eight Point

Hunt In: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
Congrats man!!!!
Sergio!!!...how are you? Hope all is well and have a very merry Christmas!
Fred
Frederick D. Be is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2016, 08:15 PM   #56
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Here is my observation of deer movement for area1: not sure what time deer are moving but there was sign everywhere I looked. I generally sit in draws so don't have a view of a lot of area unless I am scouting. On Thursday, I saw & spoked 4 to 5 does walking around near the main hicking trail that leads towards the back end. This was as I walked in at about 1400... The hicking trail has more deer sign than I have ever seen. There is sign that a lot of hunters have been out there hunting as well. Most of the human sign ends within the first 1.5 miles. I walked in about two miles (that is on the trail not in a straight line). There was many, many trails towards the back that are torn up from animal traffic. Mind you, some of it is from a small group of goats.

I will be trying to hunt again at some point next week. Good luck to all of you coming out to hunt Amistad.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:27 PM   #57
SlinginStix
Spike

Hunt In: E. Texas/SW Texas

Nice kill Pedernal! Shot a healthy spike there last year myself. Anyone been on 2 lately? I'll be making a trip out there next week with a group. Just wondering how green it is and how healthy the deer look.
SlinginStix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2016, 03:50 PM   #58
justletmein
Ten Point

Anybody gonna be in Area 4 any time soon? I left a couple trail cameras in the middle of the cove and I won't be back til next year. If you're out there, here's the coordinates, I would love it if someone could grab them and hold on to them but if nothing else somebody gets some free cameras. Help yourself to the pics on them.
2930'13.72"N
10057'58.43"W
Old 12-24-2016, 04:41 PM   #59
Pedernal
Pope & Young

^^^Not sure when but I will try to get out there and pick them up for you... I will let you know...^^^
Old 12-24-2016, 04:47 PM   #60
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinginStix View Post
Nice kill Pedernal! Shot a healthy spike there last year myself. Anyone been on 2 lately? I'll be making a trip out there next week with a group. Just wondering how green it is and how healthy the deer look.
Thanks you Sir.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:58 AM   #61
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
^^^Not sure when but I will try to get out there and pick them up for you... I will let you know...^^^
Only if you're out there anyway, don't go out of your way. They're not expensive cameras but I really want to see if there's any pics on them lol.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #62
BBurcie39
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: LBJ & Conroe

Hey everyone! New to hunting Amistad. Looking to go hunt exotics in February with my uncle. We are from DFW area and have never been down there, any info and help would be greatly appreciated! Not looking for the honey holes, just looking for some guidance and somewhere to start. Looking at going a Wednesday-Saturday. Thanks in advance!
BBurcie39 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2017, 07:42 PM   #63
Alaskahunter
Nubbin' Buck

Hi everyone, I'm from Alaska and live in Alaska and I want to thank you guys for this forum. For a few years I've researched and read these forums and studied the lake Amistad areas. My wife and I were able to harvest 2 mouflon rams in 3 days last year and had a great hunt. I specifically thank a guy named Dahmer on here that doesn't mind giving out a lot of information. I will say the terrain is not tough like most say it is but most haven't hunted in Alaska where you get dropped off by a plane and then it's survival for the next 10-12 days. My first sheep I logged over 100 miles on GPS that hunt. 5000 ft climbs in a day, busting through alders for days at a time, camping on glaciers in blizzards and carrying a 120 pound pack for 30 miles. Texas was lake a vacation for us. First day we walked around the entire hunting area scouting and were back at the pool by noon drinking a margarita. Anyway we are coming back because we had such a great time. I really want to get into area 4 this year to check it out. We are bringing pack rafts and plan on paddling across the lake from spur 454. Has anyone done this? We would love to get together with someone that has a boat or we are willing to rent one if anyone can help? Sorry if It seems like I was being arrogant about the terrain in Amistad, didn't mean to come off that way but the posts on how hard it was to hunt and how there aren't many animals discouraged me for a few years until I said screw it and went. Atleast I thought we would see new country and warmer temps. I didn't think the hunting would be as good as it was. If anyone has a boat and wants to hunt a few days I have a couple boats in Alaska and know the hunting and fishing real good and could make a deal to someone who has always wanted to come to Alaska and catch some salmon or do a hunt. Thank you!
Alaskahunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2017, 07:48 PM   #64
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskahunter View Post
Hi everyone, I'm from Alaska and live in Alaska and I want to thank you guys for this forum. For a few years I've researched and read these forums and studied the lake Amistad areas. My wife and I were able to harvest 2 mouflon rams in 3 days last year and had a great hunt. I specifically thank a guy named Dahmer on here that doesn't mind giving out a lot of information. I will say the terrain is not tough like most say it is but most haven't hunted in Alaska where you get dropped off by a plane and then it's survival for the next 10-12 days. My first sheep I logged over 100 miles on GPS that hunt. 5000 ft climbs in a day, busting through alders for days at a time, camping on glaciers in blizzards and carrying a 120 pound pack for 30 miles. Texas was lake a vacation for us. First day we walked around the entire hunting area scouting and were back at the pool by noon drinking a margarita. Anyway we are coming back because we had such a great time. I really want to get into area 4 this year to check it out. We are bringing pack rafts and plan on paddling across the lake from spur 454. Has anyone done this? We would love to get together with someone that has a boat or we are willing to rent one if anyone can help? Sorry if It seems like I was being arrogant about the terrain in Amistad, didn't mean to come off that way but the posts on how hard it was to hunt and how there aren't many animals discouraged me for a few years until I said screw it and went. Atleast I thought we would see new country and warmer temps. I didn't think the hunting would be as good as it was. If anyone has a boat and wants to hunt a few days I have a couple boats in Alaska and know the hunting and fishing real good and could make a deal to someone who has always wanted to come to Alaska and catch some salmon or do a hunt. Thank you!
Yes I have a friend who takes his Kayak out to Area 4 and 5 and I've seen him paddling back with Mouflon and Whitetail draped over the hull. Don't overlook Spur 406 and accessing Area 2 as well, no exotics but plenty of Whitetail. I have a boat and hit 2 several times this year but mostly Area 4. PM me when you come down and you're welcome to come along. I always offer up boat rides and hunts as I often hunt full weeks alone but nobody ever takes me up on the offer. I offer that up to everyone, but Alaska has always been a dream of mine to get up there and do *anything* but just don't really know where to start so a lead or something on that would be very welcome.
I met Dahmer at a bow shop here in town many years ago, total stranger at the time and he gave me some arrows to use with my Guillotine broadheads. Nice guy.

Last edited by justletmein; 01-25-2017 at 07:51 PM..
Old 01-25-2017, 08:11 PM   #65
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Congrats on the successful hunt!! When are you planning on hunting area 4? I have kicked around the idea of peddling a kayak and setting up camp over there... I will probably not attempt it until next year.

The majotiry of the time we have it blowing out of the southeast. Coming back towards 454 could get hairy when it's blowing over 15 MPH... It might be easier to shoot across to black brush ramp. Something to consider would be launching from 277. It would mean a longer distance to travel on the way out but the wind would be at your back.

PM Coming your way.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:16 PM   #66
Alaskahunter
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
Yes I have a friend who takes his Kayak out to Area 4 and 5 and I've seen him paddling back with Mouflon and Whitetail draped over the hull. Don't overlook Spur 406 and accessing Area 2 as well, no exotics but plenty of Whitetail. I have a boat and hit 2 several times this year but mostly Area 4. PM me when you come down and you're welcome to come along. I always offer up boat rides and hunts as I often hunt full weeks alone but nobody ever takes me up on the offer. I offer that up to everyone, but Alaska has always been a dream of mine to get up there and do *anything* but just don't really know where to start so a lead or something on that would be very welcome.
I met Dahmer at a bow shop here in town many years ago, total stranger at the time and he gave me some arrows to use with my Guillotine broadheads. Nice guy.
Thanks so much for the reply! I'm new to this but I will send you a PM if I can figure it out. I'm the same way. I work a two week on two week off schedule and fish ever day in the summer when I'm not hunting and it's often by myself because my friends are working. My wife goes with me a lot. I live near Talkeetna Alaska and have a jet boat. I jet up the rivers and normally find places just packed with salmon and no one else fishing. I also have a small cabin and drift boat in Sterling 300 yards from the Kenai river. The kenai is easily accessible and is guided heavy but it doesn't matter when they get over a million sockeye each year, mostly all in the month of July and then the silvers and before the sockeye thousands of kings. It's common to catch 100 rainbows in a day in the fall and a good number of them are 25" plus. It all depends what you want to catch or do here.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:27 PM   #67
Alaskahunter
Nubbin' Buck

I tried to send you guys a PM, I guess I need 15 posts before it will allow me to PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:35 PM   #68
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Congrats on the successful hunt!! When are you planning on hunting area 4? I have kicked around the idea of peddling a kayak and setting up camp over there... I will probably not attempt it until next year.

The majotiry of the time we have it blowing out of the southeast. Coming back towards 454 could get hairy when it's blowing over 15 MPH... It might be easier to shoot across to black brush ramp. Something to consider would be launching from 277. It would mean a longer distance to travel on the way out but the wind would be at your back.

PM Coming your way.
Oh yes, 277N would be WAY better getting to #4 with a kayak. For some reason I read Spur 454 as being 277N in my mind.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:37 PM   #69
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks so much for the reply! I'm new to this but I will send you a PM if I can figure it out. I'm the same way. I work a two week on two week off schedule and fish ever day in the summer when I'm not hunting and it's often by myself because my friends are working. My wife goes with me a lot. I live near Talkeetna Alaska and have a jet boat. I jet up the rivers and normally find places just packed with salmon and no one else fishing. I also have a small cabin and drift boat in Sterling 300 yards from the Kenai river. The kenai is easily accessible and is guided heavy but it doesn't matter when they get over a million sockeye each year, mostly all in the month of July and then the silvers and before the sockeye thousands of kings. It's common to catch 100 rainbows in a day in the fall and a good number of them are 25" plus. It all depends what you want to catch or do here.
Nice!

I'd be willing to just go haul somebody's gear while they hunt/fish just so I could get the experience of being there. Once I kinda "get my foot in the door" then I'll know more of what I want. I'm more of a DIY guy and not super interested in guides and such so breaking into Alaska is kind of a daunting task without some sort of lead into it.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:38 PM   #70
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
I tried to send you guys a PM, I guess I need 15 posts before it will allow me to PM.
Head over to the photo forum and rack up some "nice!" "gorgeous" "great pic" type replies, you'll be well over 15 posts in no time.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:43 PM   #71
Alaskahunter
Nubbin' Buck

OK thanks, Google Earth shows it being around a mile longer from 277 but the wind would definitely be a problem in a pack raft.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:59 PM   #72
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
OK thanks, Google Earth shows it being around a mile longer from 277 but the wind would definitely be a problem in a pack raft.
Not having to go across that section of the lake can be useful depending on conditions. I've had days I was a little nervous crossing there in my flats boat. 277N is really close to Area 5 where you hunted previously for the Mouflon. If you were to paddle over there you can sometimes spot them from the water and sneak in quietly. Also other hunters can push them back into you when they walk in from the front.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:04 PM   #73
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
If you decide to go and need help getting shuttled around the lake to launch and or recover give me a holler...
Old 01-25-2017, 09:11 PM   #74
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
I have kicked around the idea of peddling a kayak and setting up camp over there... I will probably not attempt it until next year.
I've always wanted to setup a "back country" camp on the lake for a whole trip. We could run the boat and ferry the kayak(s) behind and make a base camp. That way everyone still has their independence but doesn't have to make the long paddle to get there and back.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:23 PM   #75
Alaskahunter
Nubbin' Buck

That would be awesome! I brought all the stuff to camp last year but didn't end up using it. I will bring it again in case you are around. I did purify water out of the lake several days and didn't get sick so that is a good thing. I read you must carry all human waste out with you. I thought that was weird. I also read you have to camp 1/4 mile from the hunt area but that isn't a big deal
Old 01-25-2017, 09:36 PM   #76
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
I've always wanted to setup a "back country" camp on the lake for a whole trip. We could run the boat and ferry the kayak(s) behind and make a base camp. That way everyone still has their independence but doesn't have to make the long paddle to get there and back.
that sounds like a awesome time. I am in if you decide to do it.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:41 PM   #77
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
That would be awesome! I brought all the stuff to camp last year but didn't end up using it. I will bring it again in case you are around. I did purify water out of the lake several days and didn't get sick so that is a good thing. I read you must carry all human waste out with you. I thought that was weird. I also read you have to camp 1/4 mile from the hunt area but that isn't a big deal
Not sure on the human waste thing, might be they meant more along the lines of "human trash" than #1 or #2.

I'd like to call and see if it's legal to camp on one of the small islands outside of the hunt areas. Should be a good relaxing time fishing from the bank with a little fire going.

Quote:
that sounds like a awesome time. I am in if you decide to do it.
Absolutely want to do it next year for sure. I'm tired of launching the boat 4 times per day lol.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:37 AM   #78
boweye
Six Point

You guys know you can't camp in the hunt areas don't you?
boweye is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2017, 10:01 AM   #79
boweye
Six Point

The 1/4 mile rule does include the islands... which is really why it's there. There really isn't any options to camp close to area 4. I ran a kayak to area 4 this year from 277 north boat ramp and it was 4 miles one way. It was tough coming back at night and I was in a hobie outback.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:17 PM   #80
justletmein
Ten Point

We'll figure it out, 1/4 mile is only 440 yards so not that big of a deal.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:14 PM   #81
Alaskahunter
Nubbin' Buck

The rules are very vague, I couldn't get any real answers about camping from the park. I even printed off a map and put circles on it, scanned and emailed them asking if I could camp where the circles are and they replied I should be able to. There is fine line on the river bottom and water depths, if the land North of area 4 is private or in the flood plain. I didn't want to take any chances, I figure being a non resident they would try to slam me for something. They Def said you have to carry out #2. I read a kayak forum where guys got ticketed for camping on edge of the Devils river. The first day we hunted it got 85 degrees and to us it felt like 200 degrees, we hunted all day and found a shade tree. It had to be 20 degrees cooler there. But I realized quick if I tried to camp I would have to find some good shade or it wouldn't be fun and I don't think good shade would be in the flood plain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2017, 04:26 PM   #82
Alaskahunter
Nubbin' Buck

Can you guys tell me if the peninsula that is on the hunting map of area 4 that comes down towards 454, is this there? Or is the map old and the peninsula is all under water now? Just islands?

Old 01-26-2017, 04:26 PM   #83
justletmein
Ten Point

Something about a certain amount of feet over the full lake level is all accessible, save for actually being IN a hunting area of course. Probably best to talk to someone in person, however I have a couple game warden's cards who work the lake so I may just call them and see if they're more useful than the parks service.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:30 PM   #84
Alaskahunter
Nubbin' Buck

Ya. I was hoping to run into a ranger and ask a bunch of questions. I couldn't get much out of the office.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:38 PM   #85
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Can you guys tell me if the peninsula that is on the hunting map of area 4 that comes down towards 454, is this there? Or is the map old and the peninsula is all under water now? Just islands?

That's all just islands if it's the spot I think you're referring to.

Quote:
Ya. I was hoping to run into a ranger and ask a bunch of questions. I couldn't get much out of the office.

They're around, we usually see them in the camp sites and they'll stop by and BS for a while. They've been really cool last few years, nice people. Had a bad one many years ago but haven't seen him since.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:54 PM   #86
Alaskahunter
Nubbin' Buck

Thanks, I think that is the route I'm going to try. Google Earth says it's 1 1/2 miles but I'm hoping I can kinda bounce from island to island. All I will have is a pack raft, it packs down to the size of a basketball and weighs six pounds so I can bring it in my bags. We use em up here to pack in up rivers and then if you harvest something you just blow them up and float back to the road. You can hike 40-50 miles in and then float back in a day. It has a weight limit of 600 pounds and I've had a whole quartered caribou and gear on it before and a sheep but they aren't very wind freindly. If you guys see a guy getting blown to Mexico please pick me up. Or I'll pay for anyone's gas, launch fees if they want to hunt when I'm there. Thanks for all the info and contact info. I'll Def be sending you guys a text when I arrive.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:11 PM   #87
justletmein
Ten Point

Just keep an eye on the winds, you'll be better able to assess on site. You can always choose a different launch point.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:00 PM   #88
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Something about a certain amount of feet over the full lake level is all accessible, save for actually being IN a hunting area of course. Probably best to talk to someone in person, however I have a couple game warden's cards who work the lake so I may just call them and see if they're more useful than the parks service.
Any land touching water up to the 1144 elevation is part of the park...
Old 01-26-2017, 06:07 PM   #89
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:

Most of peninsula is currently islands. They have dropped the lake about three feet in the last two weeks so not sure where it will be. If your raft catches too much wind, launch location will probably need to be dictated by wind direction the day you go out.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:58 AM   #90
boweye
Six Point

Quote:
Thanks, I think that is the route I'm going to try. Google Earth says it's 1 1/2 miles but I'm hoping I can kinda bounce from island to island. All I will have is a pack raft, it packs down to the size of a basketball and weighs six pounds so I can bring it in my bags. We use em up here to pack in up rivers and then if you harvest something you just blow them up and float back to the road. You can hike 40-50 miles in and then float back in a day. It has a weight limit of 600 pounds and I've had a whole quartered caribou and gear on it before and a sheep but they aren't very wind freindly. If you guys see a guy getting blown to Mexico please pick me up. Or I'll pay for anyone's gas, launch fees if they want to hunt when I'm there. Thanks for all the info and contact info. I'll Def be sending you guys a text when I arrive.

I live in Del Rio, have a boat and don't mind helping you out. When are you planning your trip? Send me your number in a PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:47 AM   #91
hammyhamilton
Nubbin' Buck

Anyone have any luck this year in harvesting any Mouflon, aoudad or deer? Only was able to make it out there in October, but was unsuccessful.
hammyhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2017, 02:59 AM   #92
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammyhamilton View Post
Anyone have any luck this year in harvesting any Mouflon, aoudad or deer? Only was able to make it out there in October, but was unsuccessful.
Deer, yes. Could have had a small Aoudad but it was moving still and not worth the risk. You're brave going in October, last time I did that I ended up sitting in my spot for an hour with no shirt on waiting for the sweat to dry up and then walking back out at dusk I was covered in spiders.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:24 AM   #93
hammyhamilton
Nubbin' Buck

When would be the best time to go? Obviously when its cooler but doesn't it get packed around the rut anyways?
Old 02-19-2017, 03:27 AM   #94
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
When would be the best time to go? Obviously when its cooler but doesn't it get packed around the rut anyways?
I start going around 2nd weekend of November or just watching the weather and waiting for it to cool down. In years past I remember a lot of people showing up early December but I don't recall having those thoughts this year.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:31 AM   #95
hammyhamilton
Nubbin' Buck

Any mouflon harvested that you know of?
Old 02-19-2017, 04:34 AM   #96
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Any mouflon harvested that you know of?
Yes, I know of a very nice large ram that was killed late after deer season and a ewe that was killed early probably November time frame. I also heard there were 4 or 5 trucks in hunt area 5 even during the week after deer season. Lots of people walking around there aimlessly. I've never hunted for mouflon so couldn't tell you about strategy, I avoid it because of the crowds of people out there.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:02 PM   #97
Ruttin&Struttin
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: North Texas, South East Texas, Hill Country

Just got back from Amistad today. Going during the week is best. The weekend can be challenging due to the number of people that crowd the area. I'm an early guy. I was set up and ready before 5 am yesterday over 2 miles in. I could hear mouflon walking around on the rocks below me. I just knew I would be getting a shot. Then just before shooting light I heard really heavy walking and heavier breathing when 2 guys come stomping down the path talking about Chevy trucks. Needless to say the mouflon took off as soon as they started getting close. Spent the rest of the day glassing no less than 10 different bow hunters and another 5 quail hunters. :S
Good luck if you ever get to go. Mouflon are FUN to hunt. And the terrain is a killer workout! Just try to not get too frustrated when you see bubba walk up in shorts, snake boots and a bright blue fishing shirt.
Ruttin&Struttin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2017, 09:32 PM   #98
justletmein
Ten Point

Hate to read that Ruttin, sorry that happened I've been there and done that in Area 4 too many times these last two years.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:39 AM   #99
hammyhamilton
Nubbin' Buck

The best time to hunt mouflon is later in the season? Around December-February?
Old 03-05-2017, 04:13 AM   #100
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;12255335
The best time to hunt mouflon is later in the season? Around December-February?
It used to be a few years back as most of the hunting traffic would settle down with WT season winding down. This past year from what I was told, the hunting pressure was constant and continued after the first of the year. I did not hunt area 5 for mouflons but everyone that did told me that the number of mouflons in the hunting area was greatly diminished as compared to other years.

There is a lot of property/area for the mouflons to run off to when they are heavily pressured. Unfortunately, all of that is outside the hunting area. I heard reports of a large group of mouflons that moved to the east side of Highway 90 which is mainly private property or park land but all of it is of limits to hunting. The majority of the time mouflons run off to the east side towards a subdivision that overlooks lake Amistad.