Kolaches, PLEASE READ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by topher5999 View Post
    Well as a member of a family who owned a Bakery in West, I have tried the ones in LaGrange and they were not all they are cracked up to be. Calling the West Kolache's Garbage is a little harsh. Not sure where you got them from but anything on the highway except for the sausage (klobasniky) from Slovaceks is not nearly as good as down town.
    no offense meant to your family, it was many years ago and was likely one right on the highway, and they were VERY disappointing.
    Does your family's place do mail orders?
    I would like to try them.
    Last edited by Aggiebow88; 12-05-2016, 08:49 AM.

Comment

I just had a Winkels kolaches this morning! They are one if not the best kolache I've ever had. Actually, Im going to go grab another one now just because of this thread lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
        jap and cheese sasauage kolaches are the best i want one right now but its wet
        Shaking my head. No such thing as a kolache with meat. Kolaches are a cream/jelly filled pasty. Like stated above, it's a klobasnek. I hate going into places and looking at the tags that say kolache for everything.

And yes, Weikels is undeniably the good. Country Bakery in schulenburg and Hallettsville are just as good IMO. Now I'm hungry. Crap

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
          jap and cheese sasauage kolaches are the best i want one right now but its wet
          ^^^ Didn't read the article!

Comment

I like them from pretty much any local donut shop. If it's got cheese and jap, I'm good.

Comment

Nope, ya'll are wrong. Cheese or fruit filled pastries are called "Danish"

Here's the deal, in all seriousness. America is a melting pot and the best of things are pulled together and combined to make even better things. I don't really get hung up on the names of things and take it personally or get all wound up when things are mispronounced. Hell, I have a last name that I am completely shocked when people pronounce correctly (about 1 out of 20 times.)

I'd venture to say the reason they are not called by the other name is because maybe it is hard to pronounce, etc and at the end of the day it is just easier to call it "sausage kolache". I'm fine being the guy that calls it wrong. I mean, I'll call a Tex-mex restaurant a Mexican food restaurant even though we all know Mexican food is wildly different.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I appreciate knowing the correct terminology as I have seen them all lumped in together and labeled kolache in some places. Now we know.

Comment

The best ones are from Shipleys or Jack-n-Jill!!! ����

Comment

I'm with PoohDaddy, Green's Sausage House in Zabcikville is the bomb for kolaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebow88 View Post
                      no offense meant to your family, it was many years ago and was likely one right on the highway, and they were VERY disappointing.
                      Does your family's place do mail orders?
                      I would like to try them.
                      Trust me Czech Stop was horrible a long while ago. My family sold the bakery in the mid to late 90's. It is now Gerik's bakery.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                        Nope, ya'll are wrong. Cheese or fruit filled pastries are called "Danish"

Here's the deal, in all seriousness. America is a melting pot and the best of things are pulled together and combined to make even better things. I don't really get hung up on the names of things and take it personally or get all wound up when things are mispronounced. Hell, I have a last name that I am completely shocked when people pronounce correctly (about 1 out of 20 times.)

I'd venture to say the reason they are not called by the other name is because maybe it is hard to pronounce, etc and at the end of the day it is just easier to call it "sausage kolache". I'm fine being the guy that calls it wrong. I mean, I'll call a Tex-mex restaurant a Mexican food restaurant even though we all know Mexican food is wildly different.
                        I completely agree. I could use a jalapeƱo and cheese "sausage kolache" right now.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                          I just had a Winkels kolaches this morning! They are one if not the best kolache I've ever had. Actually, Im going to go grab another one now just because of this thread lol.
                          Where's this Winkles at? May have to check it out soon.

Comment

The ones my grandmother in law makes are the best!

Comment

I have never seen grown men get so worked up over a small square of bread, sugar, fruit filling and weenies...

Comment

Prune Kolaches are the best.

Comment

Working...
                                X