No announcement yet.

DIY Solar Panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good! 4 of those would be 600 watts and about 32 amps of current in direct sunlight. Since you have an MPPT controller, wire the panels in series on the roof and run the wire in to the charge controller. This will decrease your power loss in the cable since instead of running 32 amps at 12 volt in the cable (which you would need a large cable for that), you would be running 8 amps at 48 volt so you could go with a lot smaller of a cable, like 10-12 gauge stranded wire.

Comment

I'm stocked! The other 2 will be here Monday or Tuesday! I need to make a Lowes run after they come in to get more wire and materials to mount them.

Comment

following

Comment

subscribed for this

Comment

My other two panels came in yesterday! I'll mount them with pics Monday.

Comment

Alright, all four panels are now installed and going. I'll post pics in a few.

I went to Lowes last night and picked up two heavy duty 1 1/2" channels, some nuts, bolts, and washers to mount the panels to. This ran me $53 instead of $150 for a prefabricated mounting system.

This morning I went to the welding supply store and got 12' of heavy duty 1/0 welding cable and 16 cable lugs to wire up the battery bank. I also picked up 30' of #4 welding cable (equal to 8 gauge) to wire the panels.

Will write details after lunch

Comment

so, you couldn't have found any wire that fell off one of the company work truck?

;0

Comment

All they have is solid or heavy stranded that wouldn't work. I wish it would though! Would have saved me $150!

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                    All they have is solid or heavy stranded that wouldn't work. I wish it would though! Would have saved me $150!

Comment

Crapatalk isn't letting me upload pics so I'll have to download them to the notebook, upload them to the web, then I can do a writeup. Sorry for the delay.

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
                        so, you couldn't have found any wire that fell off one of the company work truck?

;0

Wire that works good for A/C power does not work too well for D/C power.

A/C = high voltage low current

D/C = low voltage high current

Comment

I'm kicking this one back to the top. Just did a bunch of work on mine over the past couple days. Will post pics in a few.

Comment

Almost done!

Life is too short, live it to its fullest!

~Michael

Comment

Great info, thank you for doing this

Comment

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X