Summer itch!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer itch!?!

My Lab has got the summer itch something fierce. She scratches constantly until the hair comes out. She doesn't have fleas or mange, but she's miserable. She has what looks like the worst case of dandruff I've ever seen. I've bathed her and rubbed her down with sulfodene, and it seems to help some, but not completely. Of course to top it off, she is now coming in season so she has to be confined. Anyone have any remedies? Suggestions? Constructive comments? Its appreciated.

Dave

Skin-eze product works great.

Comment

MANY moons ago while in High School I worked for a vet.

Could be an allergy of some kind,,,

Comment

LOL,

Have to admit, when I first saw the thread title I thought you had the "itch"

Comment

rub burned motor oil on the dog works great

Comment

Originally posted by W-L-F View Post
            Keep dog away from house and FIRE!

Comment

Originally posted by W-L-F View Post
              Works great on mange as well, My grand pa always put used motor oil on his dogs...and they never had mange.....couse they all died from skin cancer too

Comment

Sounds like an allergy hot spot. My lab had one about 2 months ago. Prednisone and something else(I can't remember) cleared it up in a few days.

Comment

My dads dog had the same issue. The vet gave him an allergy shot and he was good to go in a day or so

Comment

Originally posted by Fightinaggies View Post
                    My dads dog had the same issue. The vet gave him an allergy shot and he was good to go in a day or so
                    The shots are incredible. Our heeler gets stress related skin disorders when we leave town and sometimes the shots are the only thing that helps. He could also call his vet and ask for a recommendation on Benadryl use, that has helped our dog as well.

Comment

It is probably a combo of heat, licking, and normal scratching. One of our lab does the same in the heat of summer. It must have something to do with them scratching and licking. I would say that the area stays wet and allows bacteria to grow pretty quickly. We bath them as normal, dry them real good, and put baby powder or the medicated gold bond all over them. The medicated powder helps stop the licking. We let them stay inside out of the heat a day or so it is gone!! Good Luck!!

Comment

Dosage every 8 hours
                        Dogs under 30 lbs; and Cats: 10 mg
                        Dogs 30-50 lbs: 25 mg
                        Dogs over 50 lbs: 50 mg
                        Give him some benadryl and see if that works or helps any. Sounds like a hot spot tot me.

Comment

Try a oatmeal shampoo bath and some benadryl.

Something's been bothering my dogs lately too. For the past month both have had waxy ears, eye discharge, dry skin, and itchy feet. All signs of alleries.

Comment

X2 on the oatmeal bath. Works on our dog.

Comment

One possibility is that if you are bathing her more than usual and you are using shampoo for humans, that may be the root cause of the allergic reaction. My vet told me that if I did not use shampoo specifically formulated for dogs to use dishwashing liquid and NOT human shampoo. Apparently there's stuff in our shampoo that irritates dog's skin. You might try some Palmolive or Suave dishwashing liquid as a soap. If she's an outside dog, get one of those little kiddie pools from wally-world and keep water in it for her to cool off in. Mine lays around in one probably 4 hours a day. By the time I get home in the evenings, she's about splashed it dry every day.

Comment

Working...
                              X