Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 11-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
gordo1287
Six Point

Hunt In: Utopia TX / Brazos cnty
Default Robertson County?

Has anyone ever hunted the Robertson County public land? I just discovered it and havent gone out there yet, it looks to be ok, but not that big.
gordo1287 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #2
txbowhunter31
Ten Point

It's not very big and the last time I was there people were roaming all over it like sheep alot of people!
txbowhunter31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
DXTroughneck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone and High Fences

my rig drills all around that place. it is a little over 1000 acres. Bowhunting during the week isnt crowded but other times it is. My buddy missed a spike in there last week. Seen a nice buck going in there from the highway bout month ago.
DXTroughneck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Texwild
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public

I hunted there last year and it was crowded. You really have to walk about two to tree miles in to get away. good luck
Texwild is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
Cur_Dog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shelby County, Sabine NF and Llano

Is this the one off of Hwy 7?

I hunted a lease that borderd it. both bucks I shot came from that area. Heard them just the fence.
Cur_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
DXTroughneck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone and High Fences

yes its the one off hwy 7. I have been seeing two nice bucks across 7 from the entrance. They will venture over there i bet.
DXTroughneck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
Cur_Dog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shelby County, Sabine NF and Llano

The lease I was on was about a 1/2 mile, maybe less from the entrance. I thunted an old beaver pond right next to the type 2 area. Saw a bunch of deer.
Cur_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2009, 07:33 AM   #8
surfcowboy
Spike

Hunt In: anywhere

I have hunted that area for a few years. during bow season it isn't that bad. gun season I had a guy walk right up on me. there are two ways onto the property. I shot my first buck out there. there is a lot of land to hunt out there the deeper you get the less likely you'll see someone. it is a pain to drag a deer out of that place though.

I haven't hunted out there in about 5 years. so i don't know how much is has changed. I might check out it when i get back from Iraq.

I hope yall are having a good season.
surfcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
gordo1287
Six Point

Hunt In: Utopia TX / Brazos cnty

where have yall found is the best place to set up?? im thinking about going out there in a week or two
gordo1287 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2009, 11:02 PM   #10
justintyme8303
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking for lease. HELP!!

I wnet out today for the first time only one other hunter out there. I saw 3 doe walking back to my car. How far can we drive out there? He drove all the wat to the back, I stopped at the cattle gard and walked in.
justintyme8303 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
Bucket65
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: East Texas
Default Robertson County Unit 607 map

Here you go.

tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/lands/table_contents/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0112a_607.pdf

Good luck - let us know how you do.

Last edited by Bucket65; 12-29-2009 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: correct title
Bucket65 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2009, 07:23 PM   #12
bowsticker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hunting for God and peace of mind....

is public land safe to hunt mostly?
bowsticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2009, 08:36 PM   #13
justintyme8303
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking for lease. HELP!!

Do they allow hand feeding corn ?
justintyme8303 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #14
redfred
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Public lands

I was hunting there last year during gun season, and after getting there about an hour and a half before dawn and hiking a mile into the lands in the cold rain, a guy came driving up about 30 minutes after sunup in his truck and drove all the way past me to the far fenceline. Then two guys got out and walked back past me, talking and laughing loud enough to scare away every deer in the county. After freezing my butt off for another hour or so, I finally walked back out of the lease. Wouldn't you know it? After I loaded my stuff in the car and was driving out, I saw three deer within 50 feet of the entrance. I'll probably go back, but only during archery season, when the hunters seem a little more respectful of others.
redfred is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #15
JvT
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfred View Post
I saw three deer within 50 feet of the entrance. I'll probably go back, but only during archery season, when the hunters seem a little more respectful of others.
I hunted that unit in the earlier days of type II. We killed a bobcat in the far back west end. But of the two deer I saw killed, one a buck, another a doe. And yep, both killed by hunters just inside the entrance!
JvT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2010, 12:23 AM   #16
joeldooley1
Spike

Hunt In: mason, kerrvile

gigem AGGIES grew up in bryan went every bon fire
joeldooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #17
warren86
Six Point

Hunt In: whitney c.o.e

i hunted that ares last year seen a few even misses a spike. from what i could tell its pretty hunted out. just too manny people iv seen a few hogs also
warren86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #18
axisbuck
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County

pm sent warren.
axisbuck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2010, 04:15 AM   #19
Huntingnut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas (Statewide)

Warren86 and I make a trip to Unit 607 just about every year. He was right when he said it was hunted out. You hear stories about "some guy got a good one out of there this year", but I guess even a blind squirrel gets a nut every once in a while. I have seen mostly does and spikes; which is good because you can't eat those horns anyway. I have noticed a marked decline each year in the deer population, since I have been going out there. We go to 607 because it is the closest place to rifle hunt. I bowhunt there and have seen a few, but not so much this year. I like the place, so I will probably keep going. As far as driving in there, Russell (the game warden for 607) will allow you to follow the road all the way to the middle fence. Drive or park anywhere else, and he will give you a ticket. There are usually a lot of people out there; so, if the spot you picked out is easy to get to, count on someone walking right over you. The first year I went out there, there were hunters about every 50-100 yards (literally!). It doesn't seem that bad now. As far as being safe, there is risk in all aspects of hunting. Use your head and figure everyone else is a trigger-happy fool and you will be fine. I know that seems like a harsh thing to say, but it has kept me from getting shot for years. I hope this has answered everyones' questions. Safe hunting!

Last edited by Huntingnut; 05-07-2010 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: typo
Huntingnut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #20
100%TtId
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingnut View Post
As far as driving in there, Russell (the game warden for 607) will allow you to follow the road all the way to the middle fence. Drive or park anywhere else, and he will give you a ticket.
This is not good to hear because the map, the Luminant signs near the east gate, and the road itself seem to give conflicting instructions. I would be very upset to get a ticket as a result. I've seen people park near the first fence, in the old barn, and all along the main road (not the pipeline road).

If you choose to enter through the west gate, be extremely careful around the parking area. It is steep and full of ruts and washouts right near the highway.
100%TtId is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2010, 04:59 AM   #21
Huntingnut
Ten Point

You aren't kidding about that west gate; it sucks over there. If you go in the other gate: go past that old barn and go right when the road splits. This will take you around that old pond and down the side of the property line. You can follow that pasture road and park anywhere along it or at the end of it. If you go down that pipeline road in the middle of the place, you will get a ticket. Stay to the right when you go in, and you will be fine.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #22
100%TtId
Ten Point

Huntingnut, thanks for the clarification. I bet that GW writes a lot of tickets just for parking.

I would also avoid the west gate in rainy weather.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #23
maglite
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Palo Pinto,county- Erath County

Robertson county sux anyway!! There is NO WAY id hunt public land there with all of the yahoo's I know in the franklin area!! We built a power line there and it was BAD just going down right of ways!!
maglite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #24
100%TtId
Ten Point

How's the dove hunting, Maglite? It looks like it would be good.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #25
Huntingnut
Ten Point

No problem 100%ttld. The GW just started writing tickets for parking this year. He said he got tired of telling people and them not paying any attention to his warnings. I can't blaim the guy.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:00 AM   #26
captainmike
Spike

Hunt In: Lake Georgetown

On google maps it looks like there is a path off 7 that takes you back to the west. Is that right and can you use a mountain bike out there to get way back?
captainmike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #27
05 gray ghost
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

The road in off of 7 is rutted real bad I was told. My son and I went out there opening weekend but we hunted the east entrance off of the county RD. We went out the weekend before opening day and saw 8 does. We had the east side to ourself. Found 3 spots to hunt, but Opening day it was a parking lot. LOL Everyone drives in about a mile and parks. There was about 15 trucks out there that weekend. We heard one snort behind us, but didn't see anything.
05 gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #28
05 gray ghost
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

Is there only certain you can park or can you pull off to the side of the road anywhere along the way?
05 gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #29
captainmike
Spike

Hunt In: Lake Georgetown

OMG went here for opening day gun and I thought I was hunting inside a walmart. People everywhere. I saw 8 deer, was watching a spike and deciding to take him or not, when a guy walked up and scared him, then shot at 6 point that was coming out to my side. of course, he missed. Another time, I had deer coming out behind me and 2 guys came walking up and scared them back in. All before 9 oclock. Oh well. you get what you pay for.
captainmike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #30
warren86
Six Point

Hunt In: whitney c.o.e

i was there opening day of gun also but i didnt see that manny people but then i was way the hell in there most people are not willing to go that far back in there
warren86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #31
txag11
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Texas and South Africa

I've hunted out there a number of times. I typically go in the side entrance off of Hwy 7 and I rarely see anybody. I've only been out there once when I saw other hunters. Admittedly I try to go during the week and I avoid the right-of-way. I've seen plenty of deer out there (7 in one day).
txag11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #32
CTD2011
Six Point

Hunt In: Robertson, Leon counties, SHNF, Ks., Co.

sounds like a pretty popular place...
CTD2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top