J. D. Murphree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

J. D. Murphree

The husband and I did some scouting for the up coming alligator hunt next month. We were not sure if our boat would be able to navigate the canals and such and it seemed like a good excuse for a little road trip. Also we wanted to check out the public boat launch situation.

Since it was Saturday the main office area was closed.

We continued around onto hwy 87 to check out the two boat ramps that are shown on the public hunt map. The first one we came to was the one right at 87 and the inter-coastal. It was well built and best of all, it was located directly under the bridge so it was protected from the weather a bit.

One of the refineries was right next to the boat ramp and some of the workers were there taking a break. Steve went over to talk with them and see what they thought of the launch and the parking situation. The area looked well used and we were a little worried about leaving our vehicle unattended while we were out in the boat. They were very nice and explained that things there were a bit safer than at many boat ramps. Since the factory was right next door, many of the workers take their breaks out there. Also overflow parking for the semi's was along the frontage road so plant security made frequent trips through the parking lot. Indeed, as he was talking, a security truck rolled slowly through. This put us at ease.

To be thorough, we went down further to the boat ramp located on the map at 87 and Keith Lake. This ramp was decent and several large trailers were parked in the side lot leading us to believe that large boats could launch without trouble. This is a PAY ramp however. There is a lock box off to the side and you are expected to put in three dollars and fill out the ledger. The area is open but looks pretty secure.

We did not go down to the coast to check out the last ramp shown on the public hunt map located at Sea Rim State Park.

The ramp at the bridge was our choice and we headed back to put the boat in the water. It was a nice ramp with a good slope but not too steep. The boat launched nicely and we headed out to the hunt area to do a bit of scouting.

The main hunt area is open right now (until the end if August) during daylight hours to APH holders. We checked out some of the canals leading into the area. There seems to be a shallow area at the entrance of most of the ditches we encountered.

Once you get into the main canals it gets a little deeper. Our boat is a 16 foot flat bottom with a 40 hp motor. The motor was useless in most of the canals but our trolling motor moved us through OK.

We did have to pole a bit in a couple of areas. We only went into a couple of the main canals but still saw lots of alligator signs. There was a slide just about every 20 yards. The pic I took of them was blurry. Sorry.

The mosquitoes were not too bad until it started getting dark. Then the squadrons lifted off the marshes and started strafing us pretty bad. Bug spray kept them form biting for the most part but not from blocking your vision, or going up your nose and deafening you with their high pitched love songs.

We came across one of the roller set ups to help get your boat over the levees. However, I was distracted by a spotted tail and had to detour and see about meeting the fellow. He cooperated.

Now, back to the rollers. I don't think we could push or pull our heavy boat over the ones we saw. They were steep and not very roller'y.

On our way out we came across a nice 10+ foot gator but he was shy. After dark, gator eyes could be spotted everywhere. There was even an alligator right at the boat ramp. There are gators there and lots of them.

Nice report!

I've got 4 PP for Gator now. Hopefully next year.

Comment

Thank you for that post. Very informative! Me and a compadre were drawn as well and will be there next month.

Comment

Thanks for the info I'll be down next month to hunt

Comment

Not far from the check in office on Hwy 73, there is another launch under the Taylor's Bayou Bridge. Cool write up. I enjoyed it. And yes there are lots of gators.

The rollers work best if you have a winch mounted to the front of your boat. :thumbup:

Comment

You shouldn't have any problem launching your boat during the hunt...they have their own launch at the check station.

Comment

Originally posted by mossman500 View Post
              You shouldn't have any problem launching your boat during the hunt...they have their own launch at the check station.
              yep.. its a good launch too.

if you hit the rollers fast enough, you can coast right over them in a flatbottom!!! getting out of the compartment is a whole nother story. take a come along to get you over

Comment

Don't worry about the area, it is pretty secure. Have been hunting and fishing from those launches for 30+ years and never had a problem with theft. When you hunt with TPWD they will assign you an area. If it is in a compartment at Murphree you will need to pull over a levee. At Salt Bayou you will probably not have to pull over any levees. Additionally, if you can't pull over a levee you can just walk down the levee and set your pole. No need to pull over.

Comment

Thanks for the write up.. this is the most I've ever seen of the place and I put in every year

Comment

Good luck to y'all. Nice pics and nice red.

Comment

During the hunt you will be using the boat ramp at the park station. My boat is very similar to yours and crossing the levees took some effort. We had good luck using a come along chained to the roller on the opposite side...takes a little time and effort but it got us across. If I did it again I would take a small 12 volt winch with extra battery to cross with. I could run our channel as long as I trimmed the motor way up, but for the most part used the trolling motor.

Comment

Can you hunt Oyster bayou? I saw at least 20 gators over 10ft in there. That deeper water seems to draw the big ones.

Comment

Nice report! Good luck on the hunt!

Comment

Thanks for the tips about the winch and come-along. We might be investing in a small winch just for this hunt.

We were looking at the nearby boat ramps because we know that the wait can be boring and wanted some options to do some "outside" fishing while waiting on a gator.

Comment

If you have access to a smaller Jon boat you can tow it to your compartment and take it across the levee. I'll be there Sept 22nd. Congrats on being drawn!
                              Nice redfish btw.

Comment

Working...
                              X