Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoooottttttt I feed protein on our 100 acre place

Comment

I think you're 100 percent spot on... especially talking brush country deer. But rain or no rain I'm going to have supplemental feed available. Does it contribute much during times of elevated precipitation? Probably some but not much, but for sure there is a noticeable difference during drought conditions. I've seen deer in the past that during prime conditions will almost completely leave the supplement, but once that long summer starts up with little rain they'll be a regular again.

Comment

Do you have 1 or 2 protein feeders per station? Do you also have cottonseed available at each station? Corn? Water? What’s your feeder density per acre? What brand feed? How long have you fed?

Comment

I'll add that I see deer hitting the feeders everyday almost irrespective of pasture conditions. Certainly here in La.on the farm there is top quality cultivars growing year round. Yet the deer make the feeders part of their daily routine. I think visiting the feeder has a strong social element to it. Anecdotally I think there is something about the feed also that they really like and need as well. Right now we are in full blown spring green up. Lushness abounds. Clover fields are amazing. New growth is everywhere. Yet the deer are pounding the feeders.

In Mexico we feed year round. While consumption may drop off a little when the pastures are really green it doesn't drop off much. That on a very well managed habitat.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
            Do you have 1 or 2 protein feeders per station? Do you also have cottonseed available at each station? Corn? Water? What’s your feeder density per acre? What brand feed? How long have you fed?
            Oh god...smh

Comment

Originally posted by RINCON View Post
              Oh god...smh

They are honest questions that may explain his observations. Your weak attempt of an insult didn’t go unnoticed. Do you have anything to add?

Comment

I'm think the supplemental feeding thing is a combination of outdoor TV and record book ego. I'm not about to spend hundreds of dollars a year feeding deer to get 10-20" of more horns on them.....if it even makes that much difference. I don't run cameras either. If a deer shows up fine, if not, oh well.

I'm probably in the minority but so be it. It's a deer, not a show heifer.

Comment

Interesting read! Thanks for asking that...

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                    I'm think the supplemental feeding thing is a combination of outdoor TV and record book ego. I'm not about to spend hundreds of dollars a year feeding deer to get 10-20" of more horns on them.....if it even makes that much difference. I don't run cameras either. If a deer shows up fine, if not, oh well.

I'm probably in the minority but so be it. It's a deer, not a show heifer.
                    If I could get an extra 20 inches on my deer I'd spend more than a few hundred. That would be awesome!

Comment

To answer your question I think a deer can eat a lb or so in 5 minutes.
                      Does it make a difference, I think so. My neighbors ranch is about same size as mine and similar habitat & they feed sporadically. There is a notable difference in the quality of antlers between us regardless of wet or dry years. This is based on a decade plus of observations.

Comment

There is so much natural supplements the protein and corn is only a small portion of there diet

Comment

I”m going to give my experience on this subject but I in now way believe this is the rule.

I have 250 acres of high fence with very very thick vegetation. I have 2 protein feeders and feed about a ton of protein per month.

I see the same thing. Bucks never spend more than 5 mins at a feeder but they do come back several if not many times per day and often to a different feeder each time. I’ve literally seen some of my big bucks eat then sleep at the feeder then an hour later show up at the other feeder and eat again. I know they also brows because I’ve seen them doing it.

The property I’m on belongs to a deer breeder. He told me a long time ago than when he released bucks onto the main property they would usually loose 10 to 20 inches the second year of being in the wild. But I the deer I have put out there on my place have always gained at least 10 inches the following years. He doesn’t really feed much protein on his property but my deer have it 24/7.

So I think it makes a difference but I’m also in a more controlled environment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t know if all deer that eat at a protein feeder get “enough” to make a difference. But I believe that some deer do. And that is good enough for me.
                            I think a deer that is eating at 2-3 or more protein feeders across the ranch has a better chance of getting “enough”.
                            I see a potential problem with only feeding protein during drought years. Let’s say we get 5-6 years with good range conditions and we don’t supplement feed anything but corn out of broadcast feeders. We watch most of the bucks. We remove a few and let these good ones go year after year, with hopes of allowing them to maximize antler potential. Then a drought hits. So we panic. We start filling up existing protein feeders and maybe set up a few new ones because we have some really nice 5-6-7 year olds that we are looking forward to hunting. Now most of our deer have never seen a protein pellet. Are they going to eat it?

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                              I don’t know if all deer that eat at a protein feeder get “enough” to make a difference. But I believe that some deer do. And that is good enough for me.
                              I think a deer that is eating at 2-3 or more protein feeders across the ranch has a better chance of getting “enough”.
                              I see a potential problem with only feeding protein during drought years. Let’s say we get 5-6 years with good range conditions and we don’t supplement feed anything but corn out of broadcast feeders. We watch most of the bucks. We remove a few and let these good ones go year after year, with hopes of allowing them to maximize antler potential. Then a drought hits. So we panic. We start filling up existing protein feeders and maybe set up a few new ones because we have some really nice 5-6-7 year olds that we are looking forward to hunting. Now most of our deer have never seen a protein pellet. Are they going to eat it?

It might take them a few months to start eating it, but if they keep seeing other deer eat from it and believe me they can smell it, eventually they will start eating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
                                It might take them a few months to start eating it, but if they keep seeing other deer eat from it and believe me they can smell it, eventually they will start eating it.

That’s the problem. Im not sure any deer would be eating. I’m sure they would figure it out eventually, but 2-3-4 months might be too long.

Comment

Working...
                                X